African Cup Of Nations

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I read somewhere that he leaves after the Fulham game, hope that's right, we'll need him for that one!

Personally I hope he pickes up a knock in the last minute of that game that keeps him out for 3 weeks!

From what I'm reading he and Kalou are being forced to go the Cote D'Ivoire training camp which means they have to leave before Fulham, meaning that with Anelka still out for another two weeks, we have Borini and Sturridge up front for the Fulham game. Which is pretty much what we all feared might happen at the start of the season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/de...ries-birmingham

This is what Ashley Cole has to say about Daniel Sturridge:

'I don't want to put pressure on him. He is still a young guy and everyone is talking about him and sometimes that is the wrong thing to do.

'Everyone knows how good he is and hopefully he will take his chance. Against West Ham he came on and showed something different, and when the guys go to the African Nations Cup, we are going to be looking on Sturridge to make a difference.

'He is still improving and he looks like he has a good head on his shoulders. He is quick, he is strong and he is powerful with a good finish. Hopefully the senior boys can help make it an easy ride into the team and he can help us come through the next few games and January with a few goals

At least it shows that Ancelotti have confidence in our two youngest strikers.

I get what you're saying, but he hardly has a choice. He's not exactly gonna come out and bemoan his lack of options before sending said two strikers into a difficult away fixture against an experienced not to mention rival team.

That said you can't say Sturridge lacks confidence, after coming out and saying Chelsea's supporters shouldn't be worried he will keep us on track for the title in Drogba's absence.

Sturridge and Borini have shown flashes and played well when they have appeared but if they are both starting that will not be enough. Being a striker is about producing goals and they will need to do that. Common sense of course. Who is the depth behind them exactly?

Oh boy, the Fulham game will definitely be an adventure.

I hope the Fulham game goes well, of course, but if it doesnt Roman might decide we need a little Mr. Aguero asap. That would be quite the silver lining

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

Oh boy, the Fulham game will definitely be an adventure.

I hope the Fulham game goes well, of course, but if it doesnt Roman might decide we need a little Mr. Aguero asap. That would be quite the silver lining

I was just thinking about that happening as well. Ancelotti says there won't be any signings but Roman will go ahead and do it anyway if we slip during these couple of matches, because in the end he's the one with the cheque book, and I can't imagine he'll take his chances on a pair of young strikers when it comes to us winning the league again, no matter what the manager says.

-_-

Meanwhile, Ancelotti has been boosted by the availability of three of his African stars.

The Chelsea boss revealed Ivory Coast strikers Drogba and Salomon Kalou and Nigerian midfielder John Obi Mikel will all be available for Monday's derby against Fulham after an agreement was reached with their respective national teams ahead of next month's African Nations Cup.

The players had been expected to fly out on Sunday.

that is a much needed boost after the disappointment of today's result...didier needs to give us one more top showing, one more goal before going...certainly bigger chance of victory now than with sturridge and borini up front...anyone noticed that much of our dodgy run has coincided with essien's absence?