Star of the Decade

Gem
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Blah blah blah "worrying decline" blah blah blah "going through the motions" blah blah blah "only stats" and other such ramblings.

Lampard: Star of the Decade

FRANK LAMPARD is the Player of the Decade - according to official stats.

The Chelsea and England midfield star is the dominant figure in Premier League statistics over the past 10 years.

Facts and figures' wizards Opta have looked back at every Premier League game since January 1, 2000 and Lamps is the man who emerges with most honour.

The 31-year-old ace boasts:

- Most games

- Most wins

- Second-most assists

- Fourth-highest goals record

Lampard pips Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher by five games to most appearances with a total of 346 - 210 of which have been wins.

He comes second to Ryan Giggs with 76 assists and bagged 100 goals, finishing fourth behind top scorer Thierry Henry, who netted 169 times for Arsenal.

Signed from West Ham for £11million in June 2001 by Claudio Ranieri, he must go down as one of football's greatest-ever buys.

Ranieri told SunSport last night: "This news fills me with a great satisfaction and pride because Frank Lampard is totally unique.

"He is a complete player and so professional. It doesn't surprise me that he is the best statistically, ahead of other players you might consider to be even bigger stars.

"I'll tell you something. In my view Frank Lampard is a genuine 'Pallone d'oro' - which means he should be a European Footballer of the Year. He really is that good.

"He is up there with Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo in terms of quality - he is just a different type of player.

"He does difficult things but he makes them look simple and that is why some people think he is less spectacular.

"But I am glad the statistics have shown what a great player Lampard is. They show just how influential he is.

"Lampard has such a strong mentality and that probably shines through too. Only the other day he had to take a penalty three times but he still scored. That tells you how cool he is under pressure, how focused.

"Frank makes a difference to any game he is in. Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes it is less obvious. But he is so often the key to a victory.

"That's why I am really glad that he has been recognised in some way as the player of the decade in England."

Lampard's father, Frank Snr, was thrilled by his son's Player of the Decade accolade.

He said: "To do this over a decade is something special - he has done it by working very, very hard.

"I call him the Bobby Moore of the midfield. He does not try to do the impossible things that can look good on the eye if they come off.

"He's not crash, bang, wallop, either. Instead, he sticks to the things he knows can work and makes sure it's the team that he puts first.

"To score so many goals is a magnificent achievement for a midfielder. He plays in a team where everyone wants to score but he is the one who is consistently on the scoresheet."

Chelsea coach Ray Wilkins added: "Frank's contribution has been immense over the last decade, both for Chelsea and England.

"The consistency he has shown has been remarkable and he is still producing the same top-quality performances that he was a decade ago."

In contrast, the biggest loser of the decade was Hull's Kevin Kilbane, who lost 146 times.

Robbie Savage, now at Derby, was the naughty boy of the noughties finishing top of the bad boys league for most bookings and red cards - elbowing Kevin Davies of Bolton into second place.

----------

::clap2:: Top top top marks Frank, I know it's The Sun, and stats don't prove everything... just just take a look at admire the true quality player we have. England's finest all round midfielder and our midfield without him in it will be a worse off place.

Congrats Super Frank :o Chelsea legend.

Just about to post this myself. So happy when i saw it, goes to prove that he is probably the most underrated star in europe. The fact he was not in the nominations for last seasons pfa player of the year was a disgrace.

Congratulations Frank :unsure:

fantastic achievement, especially being 4th highest scorer. considering hes a midfielder thats an incredible achievement. and this is yet more lovely ammo to fire at the dippers who keep telling us the starfish is the bestest player ever....

Its funny, but "Sir Frank Lampard" kind of has a ring to it, and I could Frank in future playing an ambassadorial role for the sport, similar to a Bobby Charlton or Seb Coe kind of figure. He just comes across with that kind of temperment and politeness.

Totally deserved.

The only question has to be now : is he chelseas greatest ever player ?

I think my vote would be yes.

I guess while Franco has helped make Chelsea one of the best teams in England, and made people sat up and take notice, Frank has done exactly the same for Chelsea, but globally.

Depending on what he does between now and when he leaves or retires, I think he could very well be regarded as our greatest ever. His consistency is amazing

Totally deserved.

The only question has to be now : is he chelseas greatest ever player ?

I think my vote would be yes.

I don't think he is Chelsea's greatest ever player. Why? Because there have been so many other players that have been oustanding for the club. For me Chelsea's greatest ever player was Zola. Legend! Getting back to the article it is a very good one, and one that fills me up with pride as a Chelsea supporter.

:rolleyes:

I don't think he is Chelsea's greatest ever player. Why? Because there have been so many other players that have been oustanding for the club. For me Chelsea's greatest ever player was Zola. Legend! Getting back to the article it is a very good one, and one that fills me up with pride as a Chelsea supporter.

;)

Thats fair enough and who is to say you are not right?! Worth the debate though. I think Frank has now earned the right to be in the debate, alongside Zola and Osgood.

He certainly isnt the most eye catching, gifted or naturally talented player we have ever had but in terms of consistency, reliability and stepping up to the plate i think no-one comes close. Every good memory we have of the last decade Frank is right there. He has delivered in pretty much every big game he has needed too and is without doubt a Chelsea legend.

Frank is really a model football and professional. He's never really done anything to hit the headlines apart from his excellent football (except that nasty incident with his wife last year, but he very quickly set that straight), and he works as hard as anyone, and improves his game from year to year. One of the most admirable men ever to play the beautiful game. It's really a wonder he started out at West Ham...

Love the man, last year when he scored that winner against Stoke he overtook Franco as my favorite player. When he scored that goal I just remember going apesh*t.

But he is an underrated player, as Jose once said "Lamps is Lamps. When he plays well he is best in the game. When he plays bad he is 2nd or 3rd best."

Blah blah blah "worrying decline" blah blah blah "going through the ;) Top top top marks Frank, I know it's The Sun, and stats don't prove everything... just just take a look at admire the true quality player we have. England's finest all round midfielder and our midfield without him in it will be a worse off place.

Congrats Super Frank ;) Chelsea legend.

Gem, you keep digging me out over the "Decline" thread and anybody else who says Frank hasn't been performing at his best this year.

You need to get over it. Look, Frank Lampard is IMO a genuine Chelsea Legend and this award is both fully deserved and the mark of a special, special player. I congratulate him whole-heartedly for it.

However.

It is recognising his achievements over the past decade. It is not an award or a judgement based on his displays this season.

I think it is absolutely obvious that Frank is not performing at the same level, or having the same influence on games as he has had in the past. He's not playing crap. But neither is he walking off the pitch as everyone's undisputed MOTM as he has done for so long in his Chelsea career. Essien has been the player who has had most impact on our midfield this season. Not Frank Lampard.

Surely the title should be "Chelsea star of the decade"? :300:

I'm astounded.

Shock! Horror! A Gooner doesn't rate Lampard! ;)

I reckon Wenger is now thinking of introducing a rule that forbids consistency, because it's an unfair advantage if one team has a player that isn't injured a lot and is a consistent performer. ;)