scariest ground

secbastia

West Ham & Millwall were definitely the top two scariest grounds in the 70's, but Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle & Middlesbro were all a bit tasty too.

Having said that, most opposition fans would class Stamford Bridge as easily one of the scariest in the 70's.

could you include Forest in that list ?

Not really, I know Forest had a reputation, but I never personally found them to be intimidating.

Obviously different people had different experiences at various grounds over the years - for instance, I got a kicking at a cup game at Sheffield Wednesday, mainly because a small group of us tried to get into the Hillsborough Kop and were sussed out before the rest of the Chelsea arrived. We gave them a good hiding after the game though!

Not really, I know Forest had a reputation, but I never personally found them to be intimidating.

Obviously different people had different experiences at various grounds over the years - for instance, I got a kicking at a cup game at Sheffield Wednesday, mainly because a small group of us tried to get into the Hillsborough Kop and were sussed out before the rest of the Chelsea arrived. We gave them a good hiding after the game though!

I find this expression delightfully contradictory! Would a BAD hiding be better or worse than a good one!

i agree, spurs away especially in the early 70s was on top, they would always be in the paxton ready to have a pop.

Weird, but it just goes to show how different experiences affect our judgement. I never once felt intimidated at WHL, never ever rated their mob, in fact I'd put them down as one of the most cowardly mobs around.

Regarding Tim W's point regarding getting ambushed, Derby, Middlesbro, Sunderland & Man.City were amongst the worst for that, especially after the match. If it was a long walk to the station like at Derby, little mobs of home fans would try ambushes from side streets and alleyways, so it was always important for us to stick close together. Occasionally we'd go chasing them down the back streets in the dark and we'd end up lost in no time, not good!

manc definitely 70's & 80s

derby................70's

wolves late 70's

liverpool..................always scary

leeds

oddly though, far as I know, only place where a chels fan was actually killed was camb u away and that was least scarey ground! (although fan not killed at the ground)

wolves late 70's

leeds

oddly though, far as I know, only place where a chels fan was actually killed was camb u away and that was least scarey ground! (although fan not killed at the ground)

I might be wrong and im sure a few of the older lads might know a bit more, but i think a chelsea fan died at Preston. There were tributes in the crowd when we went there in the FA cup last year to a chelsea fan.

I also remember hearing about a Chelsea fan (little black bloke) died after being pushed under a bus at Birmingham away.

I never knew for sure whether this was just terrace talk though. There was another story going round that one of the deaf and dumb twins (anyone remember them?) who used to follow us everywhere was now deaf dumb and blind after being slashed across the eyes with a Stanley knife.

wolves late 70's

leeds

my friend son was killed at prston rip gary lee

Archived