Sterling question

clubhappy

Im heading over for the Copenhagen game on Wed & i just managed to get some sterling for the trip at no cost , was working up north tonight and got a few quid for Euros . Only problem is , some of the notes are Northen Ireland notes and Bank of Ireland sterling . Are they accepted in mainland UK ? Heard somewhere that they dont accept Scottish bank notes and N.I notes , all advice a big help .

Cheers.

They do take them, however it depends on the cashier, some of them are a bit thick.... but if you show them the note which says Sterling on it they should get the message.

I have been caught out a few times but they are legally obliged to accept it as it is legal tender..

One time a few years ago at the Bridge I was trying to order a few pints at half time and this young guy wouldn't take the note.

Luckily a man behind me worked in a post office and offered to swap all my notes with him and he would change them in work. Top bloke.

Now when I go I just lift a small amount of money for the airport and lift all cash in England.

Edited by Zola

As long as the word sterling is clearly marked on the note then it is legal tender in England though some stores are likely to refuse them because of ignorance around this fact. Many moons ago I had a bloke come into the sports shop I was running at the time with a £100 scottish bank note. As it was New Years Day no banks were open for me to check whether this was legal (I wasn't aware of such a large denomination) so I phoned my Uncle what with him being a Scot and he confirmed it was indeed legal tender. Abbey National though had to be persuaded to accept it when I came to bank it because they too were unaware of such a large note denomination. Shows that even the banks can be unaware of what is and isn't legal sometimes.

Clubber

Ridiculous as it may seem (we are not exactly an enormous nation) it is a problem I get sometimes when I travel south. As has already been said the bigger stores should be fine but smaller shops, taxis, etc etc can be difficult about it.