How do you know when you've got a legend

ws6blue

first of all..............can't be a legend after 5 matches, or even 50 - BUT we know David Luiz is on the way already. So how do you spot one;

1. personality on the pitch - either a bit spikey (speedo or wisey) or bit flambuoyant in his play (like Rikky) or bit potty (like poyet)

2. talent to do the unexpected - joey or eidur or wee pat

3. big goals in big games (roberto, didier, webby)

4. 100% in every game (JT or hughesy)

and last

5. rapour wiv the crowd (juliano or dan petrescu or vialli)

so David and to some degree ramires are on the right track................early doors

Not sure how you can mention Poyet as a Chelsea legend - a player who went to Spuds and kissed the cock, I still hate him for that and always will. And Joey never was and never will be a Chelsea legend.

Maybe it's my age, but very few players of the modern era could ever be considered Chelsea legends in my opinion, whereas so many of the 60's/70's/80's sides could be.

Modern era legends for me?

Gianfranco Zola

Dan Petrescu

John Terry

Dennis Wise

Albert Ferrer

Steve Clarke

Claude Makelele

Gianluca Vialli

Frank Lampard

Petr Cech

Marcel Desailly

Robbie Di Matteo

Didier Drogba

Michael Essien

Branislav Ivanovic

+ honourable mentions for Frank Leboeuf, Tore Andre Flo, Graeme Le Saux, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Carlo Cudicini, Ricci Carvalho, Arjen Robben, Damien Duff & Ashley Cole

and could or should have beens - Pierluigi Caseraghi, Hernan Crespo

Where in the blue g-ds name is ruud? BB?

Not only probably the greatest player to ever pull on a shirt in the modern era (even if he was past his best) but also that man that ended the drought.

When we lost 4-0 to united in the cup final I went for a long walk in the poring rain and cried my eyes out (I was only 11) I believed that was as close as I was ever going to get to see chelsea win any silverwear of any value.

Then came ruud... and in some way he started all of this, some will credit hoddle with it but Gulit made us a top 7 team and a cup winning team. Glenda made us a cup run side and a fighting relagation team, see the differnce.

Will always be a chelsea legend in my eyes, could watch the broro smashing time and time again with those pin point passes from deap.... BB, I'm a little upset with you over this!

Joe cole won player of the year for us, I think that's gotta put him the legend bracket!

Disagree 100% becoming a legend of a club is not just about your performances on the field its about how you endear yourself to the club and the fans. Joey, whilst he could be spectacular on the field and the year that he won player of the year was in top form was never of a consistently high level to warrant a status as club legend even if it was just performance based.

In Bluebeard's list I agree with the vast majority of it but have to question Albert Ferrer's place on it and surely jimmy floyd deserves at least an honourable mention!! Was also going to mention Ruud but barak has covered that nicely

Joe cole won player of the year for us, I think that's gotta put him the legend bracket!

Legnd is more than player of the year..... You cant spend half your career with us on the treatment table and then expect to be a Legend. I would say Cult Hero is more appropriate for Joe.

Now scoring 5 20goal+ seasons with us, or being near the top of all time Chelsea goal scorers would be something to factor!

Where in the blue g-ds name is ruud? BB?

Not only probably the greatest player to ever pull on a shirt in the modern era (even if he was past his best) but also that man that ended the drought.

When we lost 4-0 to united in the cup final I went for a long walk in the poring rain and cried my eyes out (I was only 11) I believed that was as close as I was ever going to get to see chelsea win any silverwear of any value.

Then came ruud... and in some way he started all of this, some will credit hoddle with it but Gulit made us a top 7 team and a cup winning team. Glenda made us a cup run side and a fighting relagation team, see the differnce.

Will always be a chelsea legend in my eyes, could watch the broro smashing time and time again with those pin point passes from deap.... BB, I'm a little upset with you over this!

Ruud was a legend more as manager than player to my mind, loved the guy! Just as Vialli was a legend more as a player than as a manager...it's all a question of personal opinion.

Disagree 100% becoming a legend of a club is not just about your performances on the field its about how you endear yourself to the club and the fans. Joey, whilst he could be spectacular on the field and the year that he won player of the year was in top form was never of a consistently high level to warrant a status as club legend even if it was just performance based.

In Bluebeard's list I agree with the vast majority of it but have to question Albert Ferrer's place on it and surely jimmy floyd deserves at least an honourable mention!! Was also going to mention Ruud but barak has covered that nicely

Ferrer was our best right back in over 20 years, a brilliant player. Jimmy Floyd on the other hand could be a real lazy b*stard, though maybe I should have put him in as an honourable mention as you said - I loved the way he never celebrated when he scored against us

Tommy Langley, Mike Fillery, Petar Borota, Tony Dorigo and Ken Monkou were also voted Chelsea Player Of The Year, and much as I loved them as Chelsea players I don't rate any of them as Chelsea legends.

On the other hand, Ron Harris, Ian Hutchinson, Alan Hudson, Eddie McCreadie, Tommy Baldwin, Kerry Dixon and John Bumstead were never voted Chelsea Player Of The Year, but they're all legends in my eyes.

I loved the way he never celebrated when he scored against us

I loved Jimmy, when he was at Boro' and scored against us, he raised his hand in apologies to the fans. He was a bit of a moaner, but it gave him character. Legend.

Edit:

Just found the video on youtube..

As much as I like seeing Luiz on the pitch I think we should try to relax abit. He hasn't played ten games for us yet and even though he has done alot of good so far, he has also made mistakes. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Tommy Langley, Mike Fillery, Petar Borota, Tony Dorigo and Ken Monkou were also voted Chelsea Player Of The Year, and much as I loved them as Chelsea players I don't rate any of them as Chelsea legends.

On the other hand, Ron Harris, Ian Hutchinson, Alan Hudson, Eddie McCreadie, Tommy Baldwin, Kerry Dixon and John Bumstead were never voted Chelsea Player Of The Year, but they're all legends in my eyes.

How did Dixon and Harris not win that award? :shok:

As much as I like seeing Luiz on the pitch I think we should try to relax abit. He hasn't played ten games for us yet and even though he has done alot of good so far, he has also made mistakes. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

How did Dixon and Harris not win that award? :shok:

Oh don't be a nancy moo moo