I fear we are becoming like the new Arsenal

Myles_91

My biggest concern with AVB and the team in general is that he refuses to acknowledge or fault any flaws in our game despite the fact they are so obvious. I think AVB is suffering under pressure and he is almost starting to remind me of Wenger and also Benitez towards the end of his Liverpool tenure, always wanting to shift the emphasis on to opposition teams as opposed to our own and snapping at reporters and pundits etc.

I actually felt more proud of the team when we lost at Old Trafford than yesterday.

Yes Webb made some dodgy calls, the 2nd one probably wasn't a pen but IMO this talk about Webb is only just papering over the cracks. We were also fortunate not to have Cahill sent off.

I honestly think bar a 10 minute spell United were much the better team. We never really got going in the first half at all, created nothing and looked timid. I understand we were without several key players but the performances from Meireles and Malouda in midfield were yet again just not good enough. I actually think Essien and to a lesser extent Sturridge (despite conceding the penalty) were the only ones that made it look like happening for us down the top end of the field.

Up until the final third we seem okay, but like Arsenal of recent times we seem to have no cutting edge in the final third and an inexplicable inability to keep clean sheets. I honestly expect us to concede goals these days (especially at home), something I've not really felt since Hoddle.

AVB can blame refs, luck etc all he wants but the problem is more deep rooted than that and it will IMO (unless acknowledged and rectified) cost us a top 4 place.

We didn't deserve anything more than a draw yesterday on the balance of play, just as we didn't against Swansea and didn't against Norwich.

That's 2 wins in 9 now and with Everton (away) and Bolton (Home) round the corner I don't see it getting much better. All this supposed pretty football means nothing unless you can't stick to the fundamental basics. I was hollering and screaming at the TV set when we were going gung-ho at them 3-0 down just wanting us to take our foot off the gas and see out 15-20 minutes at slower tempo. The saddest thing about yesterday is even at 3-0, a United comeback wasn't just possible, it was predictable. The Arsenal defeat was purely down to poor finishing in the first half IMO but yesterday was as tactically nieve a performance I think I've ever seen.

Are we Arsenal in disguise? Cos it certainly looks that way

I don't agree. We were done in by a dodgy call by Webb on the 2nd penalty. Now, I accept the fact that the ref calls for the most part this season have been with us (excepting the QPR game, and one or two others), so I am not totally bummed out about that.

One thing troubled me most was when we were 3 up, we couldn't keep the ball to save our lives. In past games where we were under no pressure, we were able to pass the ball around with wise ( most aimlessly). As soon as United press up, we panic and unable to string 3 passes in a row. We just can't play the Barca style of football when we can't keep the ball under a bit of pressure. Arsenal tried to copy Barca for 7 years and got nothing, unless we can sign up players to fit in that style, our experiment will end in tears too.

I don't see us being arsenal because we need to look at the players missing. Our three main on pitch generals where missing (terry, drogba and lamps). I know we're starting to get ready for life after those 3 but at the moment there's no one that can step up like them, David luiz is probably the closest but we haven't got a player in the middle or upfront to take the game by the scruff of the neck. The game yesterday would've been perfect for drogba to come on and just boss it.

Bit of a ramble but the main difference between us and arsenal is they would've capitulated with a full squad, imagine an arsenal squad missing van persie, vermealen and wilkshere(I guess?) and how'd they go against the top sides.

We were also a bit lucky to have Ivan left on the pitch because he could easily have got another yellow on the 2nd penalty and been sent off.

So we were lucky to only get reamed on that occasion, as opposed to gang raped? Gotta count your blessings.