Is it alright to be pissed off?

Barn

I've tried not to start this thread mainly because most of the comments I want to make would also fit into other threads, but I can't be arsed to have the thoughts I've got lost in other negative threads.

When I was a lad growing up in Essex there was only one other Chelsea fan in my school of thousands of kids. Rightly so, why would you live in Essex and support Chelsea?

Anyway that doesn't really matter, what's happend in the years since is that the world has become a much smaller place, there is less reason to support your local or your families team and Chelsea have become much more supportable - due to the fact that they sometimes win games/ cups/ leagues. That inevitably breeds a knew type of supporter that expects success, but not only that but the old schoold fan develops a new set of deliverables. We expect going into the season not only to be challenging but now to win something???? What a turn around that is, but not something that any of us can avoid - young or old. We've had, since RA took over and unprecidented era in our clubs history, where success has been an annual thing - and sucess not being to avoid relegation or gain promotion, but to win the league or and serious trophey.

Now after this period of glory we need to re-build, we have a spine that has seen us through the best years of our entire history, and rightly so as a fan base we can't really see past that. It's okay because until 2000-ish we couldn't see past the team of 1970-71? it's understandable, nature dictates that we'll cling to the good times, the difference here is that the good times have been so frequent and so recent. Now as a club and a team we have to change, at the start of the season most people agreed (maybe that they wanted AVB but) that AVB was as good a man as any to drag us forward, regardless of the manager we were not going to keep winning with the current squad, an overhaul was needed. Keep Carlo/Jose/Avram etc or employ AVB (or A N Other) it didn't matter, whoever was to be charged with the job of moving our team into the future was to have one hell of a job. As it happened the owner decided that he should sack (and pay off handsomly) the existing manager and spend a small fortune on a new man - the current flavour of the month if you will. That's fine, it had to happen anyway and a young manager with new ideas might just be the way forward? Only if the players will go with him!

This season, we started the year by trying to change everything about the way we play, push high, press quickly, leave space in behind......... we didn't have the team to do that, the players we have are the ones that have played the same way (successfuly) for years. To his credit AVB eventually realised that he couldn't askt he likes of JT to change the way he plays at this stage of his career, and so compromised and asked some parts of the team to press high and fast whilst asking others to do what they've always done.

We've all accepted that we need a period of transition, and I fully agree that it isn't looking like I expected it too, but as a club we've never been in this position before and so we don't really know what it should look like. The only team that have trasitioned reasonably sucessfully are Manu but they have the consistency of a manager and a core of season players that have been with that manager for years and therefore support that manager.

I back the stance that if a manager can't/won't play for a manager you get shot - the club employed the manager so they have to stand by that man and not keep bowing to player power, whoever that player is.

I hope we turn it round quickly, but moreso I hope that they club learn from the short term ideals they've put in place recently.

Most importantly though, we are the Chelsea and we are the best, so f**k all the rest. Support the team and the manager - we're not in dire straights and so we shouldn't be sulking like we are.

Well said Barn. Very well said.

And as you say, until the owner commits to one man, and makes it clear to the players that are here (and that we sign in future) that the manager and the club which stands behind him are more important than any single player, then we are never going to change what needs to be changed. Ever. And we are never going to mimic the success someone like Ferguson has had.

People go on and on about FFP and how its going to kill us if we dont make fourth. But consider us getting rid of Malouda, Meireles, Bossie, Paulo, Hilario, Kalou, the Drog, Mikel and Torres*, to add to Anelka and Alex having left already. The core of players, plus the younger players we will have to replace them with, will be on much smaller wages. Mixed in with the occasional young star we buy (think Luiz, Ramires, Mata) this could be AVB's way forward.

Without the same wage bill, massive transfer fees, and sacking payoffs for managers, I think the books will start to look a lot less daunting. If Roman feels that AVB is the right man to build a team from within, then massive spending on players isnt going to be a part of the equation anyway.

*yes, I realize losing this many players is unrealistic, but most of these guys are gonna be on pretty significant wages.

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

I've tried not to start this thread mainly because most of the comments I want to make would also fit into other threads, but I can't be arsed to have the thoughts I've got lost in other negative threads.

When I was a lad growing up in Essex there was only one other Chelsea fan in my school of thousands of kids. Rightly so, why would you live in Essex and support Chelsea?

Anyway that doesn't really matter, what's happend in the years since is that the world has become a much smaller place, there is less reason to support your local or your families team and Chelsea have become much more supportable - due to the fact that they sometimes win games/ cups/ leagues. That inevitably breeds a knew type of supporter that expects success, but not only that but the old schoold fan develops a new set of deliverables. 1. We expect going into the season not only to be challenging but now to win something???? What a turn around that is, but not something that any of us can avoid - young or old. We've had, since RA took over and unprecidented era in our clubs history, where success has been an annual thing - and sucess not being to avoid relegation or gain promotion, but to win the league or and serious trophey.

Now after this period of glory we need to re-build, we have a spine that has seen us through the best years of our entire history, and rightly so as a fan base we can't really see past that. It's okay because until 2000-ish we couldn't see past the team of 1970-71? it's understandable, nature dictates that we'll cling to the good times, the difference here is that the good times have been so frequent and so recent. Now as a club and a team we have to change, 2. at the start of the season most people agreed (maybe that they wanted AVB but) that AVB was as good a man as any to drag us forward, 3. regardless of the manager we were not going to keep winning with the current squad, an overhaul was needed. Keep Carlo/Jose/Avram etc or employ AVB (or A N Other) it didn't matter, whoever was to be charged with the job of moving our team into the future was to have one hell of a job. 4. As it happened the owner decided that he should sack (and pay off handsomly) the existing manager and spend a small fortune on a new man - the current flavour of the month if you will. That's fine, it had to happen anyway and a young manager with new ideas might just be the way forward? Only if the players will go with him!

This season, we started the year by trying to change everything about the way we play, push high, press quickly, leave space in behind......... we didn't have the team to do that, the players we have are the ones that have played the same way (successfuly) for years. To his credit AVB eventually realised that he couldn't askt he likes of JT to change the way he plays at this stage of his career, and so compromised and asked some parts of the team to press high and fast whilst asking others to do what they've always done.

We've all accepted that we need a period of transition, and I fully agree that it isn't looking like I expected it too, but as a club we've never been in this position before and so we don't really know what it should look like. 5. The only team that have trasitioned reasonably sucessfully are Manu but they have the consistency of a manager and a core of season players that have been with that manager for years and therefore support that manager.

6. I back the stance that if a manager can't/won't play for a manager you get shot - the club employed the manager so they have to stand by that man and not keep bowing to player power, whoever that player is.

7. I hope we turn it round quickly, but moreso I hope that they club learn from the short term ideals they've put in place recently.

Most importantly though, we are the Chelsea and we are the best, so f**k all the rest. Support the team and the manager - 8. we're not in dire straights and so we shouldn't be sulking like we are.

1. Who exactly was expecting us to win things? 3rd (now impossible) or 4th is the goal this season, which AVB will completely fail to make.

2. Evidently these people are completely wrong.

3. See number 1 for winning. Why would the club possibly want to rebuild with some unknown mediocrity when a number of experienced managers was available? Which leads us to #4...

4. Precisely, he's just a donkey Roman 'toy' and isn't a good manager at all.

5. No, they transitioned because Ferguson is possibly one of the greatest managers of all time. Even the great Arsene Wenger is now left in shambles, and no one can argue that he wasn't given time.

6. AVB needs to be shot asap then

7. Which is achieved by sacking an over hyped "flavor of the month" manager and hiring proven talent & experience.

8. Yes we are. Our position is a good one but our form is relegation tier, and if we continue this we will end 10th at the end of the year.

1. Who exactly was expecting us to win things? 3rd (now impossible) or 4th is the goal this season, which AVB will completely fail to make.

2. Evidently these people are completely wrong.

3. See number 1 for winning. Why would the club possibly want to rebuild with some unknown mediocrity when a number of experienced managers was available? Which leads us to #4...

4. Precisely, he's just a donkey Roman 'toy' and isn't a good manager at all.

5. No, they transitioned because Ferguson is possibly one of the greatest managers of all time. Even the great Arsene Wenger is now left in shambles, and no one can argue that he wasn't given time.

7. Which is achieved by sacking an over hyped "flavor of the month" manager and hiring proven talent & experience.

8. Yes we are. Our position is a good one but our form is relegation tier, and if we continue this we will end 10th at the end of the year.

9. Your a tool.

So far in the past 10 days you`ve called him a c**t and a d**khead and now you say he should be shot. Brilliant.

I haven't seen any posts in which I've called him either, please feel free to find any. I called him an idiot - which I later edited- & a con artist.

"now you say he should be shot"... see the OP: "I back the stance that if a manager can't/won't play for a manager you get shot "

Calm down ladies there are more pressing matters than who called who what.

This is true, Connoor, but it is a shame that this thread, which Barn started specifically to avoid making these points in a negative thread, has been hijacked by someone who is making an Olympic sport out of leaping from one thread to another with his negative and abusive (later edited out) comments.

Barn made some excellent points. His last line sums it up perfectly.

Edited by moi

And im to blame here of course ;')

Negative or not I made a legitimate response to the OP whereas some complete w**ker comes here and proceeds to call other 'tools' --his entire contribution to the thread.

To be fair though, you are a tool

And im to blame here of course ;')

Negative or not I made a legitimate response to the OP whereas some complete w**ker comes here and proceeds to call other 'tools' --his entire contribution to the thread.

Well you don't come off as being the "offensive type" so I will be blunt here... You joined up a few weeks ago and have done nothing but spew negative posts ever since you joined. Everything and I mean everything you write has some sort of negative connotation to it. We all know we are rubbish with an extremely boring "pass the ball around the perimeter and get no where" style of play and that our manager is in the deep end but yet most of us try to find some sort of silver lining, no matter how thin. And if members can't and have to make a negative comment, its usually got a little bit of a comedic undertone to it. Now I know after matches when everyone is frustrated, it gets pretty bad in here and rightfully so because its worse on the pitch. But you, all week long have nothing nice ever to say... Not once have I read something where you were even remotely positive. It's a shame really, because you are quite knowledegable of the game and honestly I agree with some of the things you say but cheer up a little! In the end this is only a game and let's be honest things were way worse a decade ago. I am not the oldest of Chelsea supporters and really only began liking them in the late 90's and it was by chance because I didn't choose one of the other big clubs that most Americans latch onto. Never been to the Bridge or even seen the boys live and its obvious you have and perhaps that's why you are so frustrated? IMO, I think you just need to lighten up a little bit... Things could be far worse and while I admit we are heading in that direction, there is still a long way to go...

And with that said, I am off to the pub (yes, its only noon) to meet my Scouser friend where we can both cry in our beer all day and wonder what happened to our clubs the past few years...

Edited by DoubleHelix74

No, you called him a c**t and a d**khead and edited it.

Cant be arsed anymore though, on ignore you go.

This is true, Connoor, but it is a shame that this thread, which Barn started specifically to avoid making these points in a negative thread, has been hijacked by someone who is making an Olympic sport out of leaping from one thread to another with his negative and abusive (later edited out) comments.

Barn made some excellent points. His last line sums it up perfectly.

To be fair though, you are a tool

Couldn't agree more with you three, (don't want to hijack the thread) but can someone PM me how to put someone on my ignore list I don't know how it works. Good post Barn, interesting read!

Chelsea2weekssupporingchelsea.

Seems to happen every time we go through a real bad patch, "long time" supporters join the site just to bitch and moan and call for the managers head.

I think being called a tool is being a fair bit kind really.

We should stand by AVB right now, even if most of us agree he has been doing a sub-par job so far this season. Top money was paid for the man, and many Chelsea fans (me included) wanted him here. We got what we wanted, and Jose coming back is a bit of a fantasy at this point, so we should stick by AVB and hope for the best.

Edited by jcm28