Good luck JT

I have no idea what to think, mainly because I don't really understand what the maximum and minimum punishment (should he be found guilty) could be. Will he get sacked by Chelsea? Be banned/suspended from football? If so, for how long? Is there prison time involved?!

Will it defiantly only last a week or could it get adjourned for months & months? I'd like it done & dusted before pre-season but I have a feeling this won't be cut and dry.

It's going to be a long week.

I don't think it'll last a week!

The maximum punishment via the law is a £2500 fine.

However the FA can basically do as they choose punishment wise, whether he is found guilty or not! They can use the all encompassing law of 'Bringing the game into disrepute'

That's true shedendpensioner, a not guilty verdict in court doesn't mean that the FA won't/can't find him guilty of something.

I am not sure how the court business will pan out but I am pretty sure the FA will find someway of handing out some sort of token punishment as they will be keen to display a tough stance on racism.

Worst case must be that he is guilty and the court hand out a max fine, a new wave of public JT hate and an FA ban at least equal to Suarez's 8 game ban.

And as Gem mentioned, will the club hand out their own punishment? I guess if he is proven guilty they will either fine him and match any FA ban (or tag on 1 extra game for effect) or sack him. I just can't see the club doing that though.

Perhaps the most interesting thing is in the event of a guilty verdict, how will the Chelsea fans react? Will it cause a split between those that will support him no matter what and those that just can't forgive him?

Anyway, here's hoping that he hasn't said anything he shouldn't and that the court can prove this sufficiently to avoid him being labelled guilty anyway.

One last thing. On the purely football front, missing Terry for be it 6 to 12 games or even longer doesn't worry me hugely. Disappointing yes, but I have great faith that Cahill and Luiz can form a Terry and Carvalho quality partnership with Ivan as cover. In fact, it could even prove a blessing in disguise. If Luiz becomes first choice he'll likely improve faster and be less inclined to have his head turned by interest from Barca.

Can't understand how this ever got to court . So next season anyone swearing on a football pitch can be nicked for foul and abusive language ? and any dodgy tackle can see the player nicked for aggresive behaviour .................

.............JT yet again a media Scapecoat ...............

Perhaps the most interesting thing is in the event of a guilty verdict, how will the Chelsea fans react? Will it cause a split between those that will support him no matter what and those that just can't forgive him?

This for me will be very interesting.

Personally, I don't support him in all he does and I'm not sure how I will feel about him if he is found guilty!

Really hope he is proved innocent.

On a kind of related note.. We're in a huge recession and decide to spend on a 5 day trial over a crime with a £2500 maximum fine?

Good job legal system :good2:

Too right, exactly what I thought when I heard it would last 5 days.

whatever happens with the court case, the fa will then conduct their own investigation into the incident, although if he is found not guilty, you wonder what they can do...still early tweets from the court don't look good...

this from sam wallace of the independent:

Crown says there is "very little dispute" between lipreading experts on what Terry said to Ferdinand. Defence claims it was 'sarcastic'

@SamWallaceIndy

Terry trial underway. Crown alleges Terry said to Ferdinand: ''F*** off, f*** off, f****** black c***, f****** nobhead' on 23 Oct 2011

Edited by The Brit

I was going to ask if anyone else was following this on Twitter, I'll be constantly refreshing all day. I really cannot fathom JT's legal team okaying a not-guilty plea unless he KNOWS he didn't say anything. Problem is its all done on TV footage, unless there is testimony (is that allowed?!) how can a verdict be given? Cameras do not catch everything.

allegations that anton wound him up over alleged affair with bridge's ex...this from dan roan on bbc:

@danroan

Crown's case is that words were "uttered in response to goading by Mr Ferdinand on the issue of his extra-marital affair, rather than by way of exaggerated & instant querying of a perceived false allegation."

Dan Roan â€@danroan

Crown confirms neither Ashley Cole or Jon Obi Mikel - both close to alleged incident - will be called by prosecution

I realize that the outcome of this trial has potentially serious implications for us as a club and especially for John himself, but reading these twitter updates makes the whole thing seem completely f**king farcical.

@SamWallaceIndy

Crown says Terry told FA he made gesture ‘pretending Mr Ferdinand had bad breath’

I think I can recall a similar incident from my youth. I was in kindergarten.

Am I the only one who's not happy with the headlines on the BBC sport page?

Terry 'racially abused' Ferdinand

John Terry used a racist obscenity against Anton Ferdinand after taunts over his alleged affair with a team-mate's ex-partner, a court hears.

Only the last 3 words of that say that the trial is still going on, the rest gives the impression that he's been found guilty already. Not exactly a balanced view, is it?

think it's significant prosecution aren't calling cole or mikel...they're closest witnesses...seems to be all based on lip-reading experts...is that enough to find someone guilty, especially when anton didn't hear it first hand himself? seems a bit sketchy...footage does look a bit ropey and jt is no saint, but it's a massive call to make and it has to be beyond doubt

Sam Wallace â€@SamWallaceIndy

Ferdinand to FA admits saying to Terry: 'How can you call me a c***, you shagged your team-mate's missus, you're the c***'

Sam Wallace â€@SamWallaceIndy

Ferdinand only saw footage of Terry incident in QPR players' lounge after game. His girlfriend showed it to him on YouTube

Edited by The Brit

Maybe I'm just naive, but a contentious issue like this one is where you need to have some balanced coverage. I was just foolishly hoping for better.

It's just the way they operate. Shocking headlines attract attention. You see it all the time around elections, especially.

You're not naive, you're just decent, something that you don't have in common with the typical journalist.