Deadline Day - 31/08/2012

SimonH
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Well, deadline day is upon us in a few hours. And tbh, it feels a little strange this one.

I mean, we all love a big money deadline day transfer. But for once we seemed to have done all of our business early and a deadline day transfer seems unlikely. Don't worry, I'm not saying that is a bad thing as I really do believe this team, this one right now is one of the most exciting teams we have ever assembled. Yes, you may call me mad but I am super excited about this season with this team.

Anyway, some of you may feel we need another striker or a new holding midfielder before the window closes. Personally, what worries me most is the lack of movement out.

So, I thought I would create a thread where we can talk about not only any potential deadline day transfers for us, but for other teams too and how this may or may not affect us.

I think we've done pretty good this transfer window, I'd be quite content to just shut up shop and see what comes around next window.

Porto have screwed us around with regards to Hulk so much that I'm not even bothered about him anymore, I really cannot see a lastminute.com deal for Hulk going through.

...Unless we call a potential bluff from Porto and we get him for a lower fee. :laugh2:

I'm more interested to see what might happen with other clubs, in my opinion the biggest transfers of the window (so far) have been;

Us getting Eden Hazard (Seriously good signing there) :JC_doubleup:

Robin Van Persie going to United :Troll_Face:

Luka Modric going to Real Madrid... then getting a trophy! :Troll_Face:

If anything I'm astounded that Manchester City have not broken the bank again, I was sure that United getting Van Persie would force Mancini's hand into his wallet. :ohmy:

I think that Sturridge might make a last minute exit, he's got a role in Hogdson's squad and needs to keep up on his form.

He won't get as much game time now that Torres has got his sh*t together so I think a move (loan or otherwise) might be best for him.

Still, see what happens ya?

I think that Sturridge might make a last minute exit, he's got a role in Hogdson's squad and needs to keep up on his form.

He won't get as much game time now that Torres has got his sh*t together so I think a move (loan or otherwise) might be best for him.

Still, see what happens ya?

We would gain nothing from loaning him out. Unless he is going to sign a new contract we should make some cash from him now. But if we do sell him we need to bring a forward in but I'm not sure of a player good enough but also willing to be a backup player.

Have to agree with Tom. Either danny signs a new deal or someone comes up with a fee. No reason to give him to Liverpool for a year then see him leave on a free.

Edit: Rumours now that Schurrle will be a last minute deal for us, though am not sure we need him.

Edited by axman2526

Wouldn't mind Sturridge going to Liverpool on loan at all if we're getting Schurrle. Currently the German's a better player, and if Danny can get a years experience playing up top for a 'good' team then it's going to help him progress as a player. Then we have some nice difficult decisions up top next season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9510486/Fernando-Torres-happy-with-his-position-at-Chelsea-after-clear-the-air-talks-with-manager-and-the-board.html

"Bayer Leverkusen striker Andre Schurrle looks set to join before the transfer window closes at 11pm on Friday in a deal approaching £20 million, a move that might even see Daniel Sturridge allowed to move out on loan. Yossi Benayoun and Florent Malouda are, though, likelier to move on."

Wouldn't mind Sturridge going to Liverpool on loan at all if we're getting Schurrle. Currently the German's a better player, and if Danny can get a years experience playing up top for a 'good' team then it's going to help him progress as a player. Then we have some nice difficult decisions up top next season.

There is no point in a loan... He is the final year of his contract and loaning him out basically assures the end of his career at Chelsea. He needs to sign or if we are really getting Schurrle sell him off... If Schurrle doesn't come, then Danny needs to get a lot of playing time (which he will) and we need to sign him. Thing is his attitude has been proven a bit difficult with this sort of thing and he may move regardless at the end of the year. However, I don't think he will have it better anywhere else. All the big clubs will put him on the bench anyway....

Just for a laugh, Neymar anyone?

I wouldn't mind, but it wont happen. He'll stay for now, then we'll see if he leaves next summer or after the World Cup (hasn't he said that he want to stay until then?). I think he should be careful not to stay for too long because even though the brazilian league isn't bad, he will probably need to play in a bigger league to perhaps evolve.

Not sure what will happen when he leaves, but I would be surprised if he doesn't end up at Real Madrid or Barcelona.

As far as CFC goes it seems to be down to Schurle and Dannty (of the potential starters) and Essien and Benni of the fringe. Will Schurle come?

Between Schurle, Danny and Hazzard there will be fantastic width, Ocsar and Mata competing for the central midfield spot with ramires and mikel doing the work.

Read somewhere Essien might go on loan to Arsenal...that would be stupid. We can't keep loaning capable players to them.

I'll also be pissed off if we loan Sturridge out. Can't afford to loan someone who is in their last year of their contract?

Read somewhere Essien might go on loan to Arsenal...that would be stupid. We can't keep loaning capable players to them.

I'll also be pissed off if we loan Sturridge out. Can't afford to loan someone who is in their last year of their contract?

...and to add to your point, why loan a player in the final year of their contract. Either keep them or sell them off. There is no point in loaning out a player in the final year of their contract. In fact, its detrimental! Both Sturridge and Essien are in the final years of their contracts.

Then there is the stupidity in loaning out any player to a rival club who you will be competing against for the next 9 months.

This just does not add up. There is no rationality in doing this and frankly I think its all fiction being whipped up by the media on the eve of the deadline. The Chelsea brass are not idiots and I would like to think they are no way thinking about this awful strategy.

Edited by DoubleHelix74