Gers Should Quit Scotland - Charles Green.

Guest RFC_CFC

Guest RFC_CFC

http://www.rangers.c...d-quit-scotland

CHARLES GREEN will recommend to the Board that Rangers try to find an escape route from Scottish football if the 12-12-18 reconstruction plans are pushed through. The Chief Executive knows that in the current political climate it is difficult to play anywhere else, but he firmly believes that Rangers should explore all options as he is firmly against the proposals being hurried through. In an exclusive interview with RangersTV, Green pulls no punches as he criticises a set-up which he feels most supporters don’t want. He says the new set-up will render the remainder of the season meaningless and he insists it is only cash that is driving the adoption of the plan.

He said: “If this does happen what is the point of us finishing the season? Why should we send players out to get broken noses – like Ross Perry last week – or have players getting surgery when no-one can get promoted and no-one can get relegated. “We might as well have a winter break now til next August. I can’t see any point in carrying on with meaningless matches. “In what league do you win a division and then end up playing the same teams again the following season? There is no meaning to it, in reality. “I haven’t read anything other than what is in the press and if that is what we have sat here eagerly awaiting to transform Scottish football, my advice to the board of Rangers is the quicker we can leave Scottish football the better. “I can’t see anything that is going to transform the finances, the status or the excitement.â€

Green knows that there is resistance by the European and World authorities to clubs playing in other countries, but there is strong feeling for a ‘Beneliga’ involving the top 12 teams in Holland the top eight in Belgium. And Standard Liege have threatened to try to join Ligue 1 in France if permission for the Beneliga is not granted. Green added: “On first glance, of course, there is nowhere for us to go because FIFA have made their feelings known on cross-border leagues. “However, we have noted the comments of Standard Liege recently and what Peter Lawwell said at his AGM a few weeks ago when he discussed the changes in Europe. “Hand on heart today there isn’t an option but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t start looking for an option. “If all we have to look forward to over the next four years is more madness then we would be failing as directors not to explore the alternatives.â€

Is he serious, do you think? Or do you see it as a threat intended to shake things up?

If Rangers were to move to the English Leagues, assuming they'd be given permission, there's no way they'd be allowed to go straight into the Premier League, they might even have to start at Conference Level. This is aside from the logistical difficulties presented by travelling times and distances. Glasgow to London isn't exactly a short trip, never mind somewhere on the South Coast or even down in the West Country.

Guest RFC_CFC

On the Rangers boards the majority would be in favour of starting from scratch in the lower leagues in England.

Rangers have one of the biggest away support in Britain so although the distance is big fans will still travel in their thousands if it came to it. They have transformed the 3rd division with their support and brought a new lease of life to games in the league so as a club they have lots to offer.

I don't see it happening though personally, but Rangers need out of Scotland IMO as the attacks on the club are beyond repair while the injustice of being continually punished for 1 mans mess is beyond a joke.

Rangers would prosper in any league in any country outside of Scotland IMO and I pray we get the chance to show it one day soon.

I tend to agree, Rangers are a massive club and would still attract a huge following no matter how far they travelled. The other side of that coin is away fans going to Ibrox. I can imagine a lot of supporters would be up in arms at the thought of having to go all that way. As for starting in the lower leagues, it would have to be a long term thing obviously.

I'd forgotten all about the ban on signings until earlier today when I read an article on the Rangers site about Mat Ryan, an Australian keeper who'll be arriving for a trial next week, but even if the trial is a success, he can't be registered until later in the year. Still it does show that the club are thinking ahead, looking past the current ban.

I don't think they will ever get permission to enter the English leagues.

Which IMO is fair.

Can you imagine having to travel all that way for an away game? More importantly, if Rangers were allowed over, what's stopping every single other Scottish team joining too?

Guest RFC_CFC
Which IMO is fair.

Can you imagine having to travel all that way for an away game? More importantly, if Rangers were allowed over, what's stopping every single other Scottish team joining too?

Could say the same for every single Welsh team?

Well, Swansea/Cardiff are far less than half the distance of Glasgow for a start, but for me it's all about timing.

Secondly it's all about timing, I don't know about Cardiff but Swansea have *always* been in the English football league, since they were founded in 1912. I don't think at this moment it's even an issue they're in the English league, however if they were in the Welsh league, and they moved across for the 2013/14 season it'd cause a LOT of issues. Like I said, why would Rangers, a team in the Scottish third division, be allowed to enter the English league and not the teams above and around them? Are we suddenly going to have an influx into the league of 40 teams?

Wouldn't exactly be new - a few Scottish clubs have played in the English FA Cup albeit a long time ago. Not the same as the league, I know, but worth mentioning.

Queens Park were in the FA Cup for 11 seasons, the first time being in 1871/72 when they drew with Wanderers in the semi-final then withdrew rather than play a replay.

In 1883/84 Queens Park got to the FA Cup Final, where they were beaten by Blackburn. On the way, they beat Crewe Alexandra 10-0 and Manchester City 15-0! They also got to the final the following season, but were beaten by Blackburn again.

Rangers appeared in the competition twice, the first time being in 1885/86. The following season Rangers were beaten by Aston Villa in the semi-final.

Other Scots clubs that appeared in the English FA Cup...Third Lanark (2), Partick Thistle (2), Hearts (2), Cowlairs (1), and Renton (1), who defeated holders Blackburn in the 2nd Round.

Gretna are the most recent Scottish side to appear in the FA Cup proper, playing in the 1st Round in 1993/94.

On the other side of the coin, Berwick Rangers have played in Scottish football since 1905, though they are in England. Derry City are a Northern Irish side, but have played in the Republic since 1985/86.

Apart from Cardiff and Swansea who were mentioned by blizeH, Wrexham and Newport County also played in the English League. There are numerous cases around the world of teams playing countries other than their own.

Sorry, just some more boring info for those of you who may be interested - yes, both of you!

Guest RFC_CFC

Some good info there Bluebeard.

Although it was a long, long time ago it did still happen.

I very much doubt it would happen now though and the best bet for Rangers is a European league that also seems a far way off at the minute, I think the Rangers fans just want a fair crack at something after everything we have been put through.

This season could eventually mean nothing and the new proposal just means we have wasted a year in the rebuilding process which is just daft.

Is a British league out of the question?

It wouldn't really work, and many lower league English clubs would likely be against it, as they would struggle financially in that situation, could you imagine a month of playing one game in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales? It would be a logistical nightmare.

On the topic of Rangers going into the English league system, I am fully opposed to the idea,unless Rangers start at the very bottom of English football, and by that I mean lower than Conference North/South level.

Cardiff and Swansea though being Welsh have been in the English League system since the early 20th century, Swansea always playing in the English league system, Cardiff joining when the third division (two divisions, one north, one south) was founded in 1920.

Guest RFC_CFC
It wouldn't really work, and many lower league English clubs would likely be against it, as they would struggle financially in that situation, could you imagine a month of playing one game in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales? It would be a logistical nightmare.On the topic of Rangers going into the English league system, I am fully opposed to the idea,unless Rangers start at the very bottom of English football, and by that I mean lower than Conference North/South level.Cardiff and Swansea though being Welsh have been in the English League system since the early 20th century, Swansea always playing in the English league system, Cardiff joining when the third division (two divisions, one north, one south) was founded in 1920.

Rangers would have no problem playing from the bottom up by the sound bites coming out.

It wouldn't really work, and many lower league English clubs would likely be against it, as they would struggle financially in that situation, could you imagine a month of playing one game in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales? It would be a logistical nightmare.

I doubt the logistics behind the travel times would be that difficult. Honestly, if Canadian university sport teams can organize tournaments across the country with limited revenue, why can't professional clubs do it. The main issue would be the organisation of the league and how would the integration of new teams works. Some clubs with difficulties today, might be killed off because of the arrival of the likes of Celtics/Rangers in lower leagues. Some teams might gain easy promotions ahead of pre-establish teams.

I doubt the logistics behind the travel times would be that difficult. Honestly, if Canadian university sport teams can organize tournaments across the country with limited revenue, why can't professional clubs do it. The main issue would be the organisation of the league and how would the integration of new teams works. Some clubs with difficulties today, might be killed off because of the arrival of the likes of Celtics/Rangers in lower leagues. Some teams might gain easy promotions ahead of pre-establish teams.

It's not really due to travel times, its definitely a monetary issue in that most league one/league two clubs couldn't afford to travel one week to Scotland, the next week Northern Ireland etc, and the fixture lists would be so cluttered

Archived