Grown men in football shirts

BernardLambourde

Views?  Good or bad?

Which age do you think a man should stop wearing replica shirts (I'm not talking about whilst playing 5-a-side or whatever.....I'm talking wearing one as their 'clothes')?  Do you think they should stop wearing them at all?

In my own humble opinion, a corpulent 50-year-old in a replica football shirt is a sartorial disaster.  Up to them of course but I think they'd look much better in a normal shirt.

Oooh the clothes police!!

I think people can wear whatever they want, Bernard. And I particularly hate it when slim people point the finger at fat people and say "They're too fat to wear that!  Only elegant slim people should be allowed to wear cool clothes!"

Not that I am thinking you are elegant and slim necessarily, but it would be even more disappointing if you were corpulent and had fallen victim to the fashion bullies who say you should wear discreet clothes.

Football shirts are comfortable and if that's what middle-aged/old/thin/plump/obese people want to wear, then that's OK by me!

(except if they're Spanish and work in a café, of course!)

I agree.....people should wear what they want.  Never said anything different.  Just that in my own opinion it looks sh*t.....up to them if they want to wear it though (just like it is up to them if they want to listen to Michael Buble for example).  I wanted to know other people's opinions on the matter.

I always wear replica shirts to 5-a-side, and sometimes when going to a game, and tbh when I'm slumming around the house too, but not beyond that - though as others have said, people should wear whatever they want, as long as it's decent!

(hell, on 5-a-side last night I wore practically a full on Chelsea kit... my girlfriend got it for me on our first Christmas together and I didn't have the heart to tell her a full on kit doesn't always look so good on people with the footballing skills of an 80 year old woman)

I've personally not worn any club branded apparel since my primary school days. It's never really been to my taste and I think that stuff is generally over-priced anyway.

I honestly couldn't care less what other people wear though. Those "corpulent 50-year-olds" probably get a lot of pleasure from wearing their replica football shirts and that's fine with me.

They also draw attention as well don't they?  You're sort of making yourself a target for potential abuse.  Running the risk of having "You Chelsea rent boy cant!" shouted at you by a passing White Van Man.

But Bernard you've changed your argument now.  Your initial point was that middle-aged corpulent people look ugly in football shirts.

This argument about white van men (my son drives a white van. by the way!) applies to people of all ages, shapes and sizes.

But Bernard you've changed your argument now.  Your initial point was that middle-aged corpulent people look ugly in football shirts.

This argument about white van men (my son drives a white van. by the way!) applies to people of all ages, shapes and sizes.

Eh?  It's not an argument.  It's just my opinion that a) they look sh*t on ageing fat people (in particular...although I don't think they're a great look on any adult to be honest)....much like a think a 60-year-old woman would look better in a longer skirt than a miniskirt and b) you're drawing attention to yourself.....yes, regardless of your age, shape or size (although you'd like to think children should be spared abuse).

I didn't mean "argument" in the sense of "fight" Bernard - I meant "argument" in the sense of your "contention" , your "thesis", the point you were trying to make.

You are now saying that nobody except footballers on the pitch should wear football shirts.

I'm guessing you're nowhere near 60 - you may change your mind as you get older!

I didn't mean "argument" in the sense of "fight" Bernard - I meant "argument" in the sense of your "contention" , your "thesis", the point you were trying to make.

You are now saying that nobody except footballers on the pitch should wear football shirts.

I'm guessing you're nowhere near 60 - you may change your mind as you get older!

Right, ok.  Yes, I have a few reasons why I wouldn't personally wear one.....not just one. I think a) they look sh*te (particularly as you get 'more distinguished' and your figure becomes 'fuller') b) you're drawing unnecessary attention to yourself in the street c) I find it rather depressing going to a game now and seeing the vast majority of the crowd in the same replica top.  It feels somewhat sanitised.  The terraces used to be a place where people paraded their best threads.

No.....I'm saying I think they're fine on kids.....and young adults......but that as you get a bit older, I don't think they're a particularly great look (I have to reiterate, I don't think these people 'shouldn't wear them'.....it's their decision.....like it is the right of an old rocker to continue to wear his Megadeath t-shirt and sport a grey mullet.  I won't highlight this point again as I feel I have made myself clear in this respect.  Ha ha).

No, I am 30....but I stopped wearing them at about 21-22.  I'm unlikely to change my mind as I get older but hey, you never know.

Used to wear a Chelsea training shirt, to football training, but I have never worn a replica kit out in public for the joy of it.

I agree with some of what Bernard is saying, in that it makes the crowd look very sanitised.

To come back to Moi's comment about the fashion police, a replica shirt is hardly the most stylish thing that anyone can wear, and I do cringe when I see people wearing them on holiday at the dinner table!

I'll normally wear one around the house as it's comfortable and breathes well (always f**king hot here), and I wear it too football training and to indoor football, but rarely wear it out and about.

If I lived in England i'd probably wear it even less, often you're just asking for a fight if you're out by yourself wearing one.

To come back to Moi's comment about the fashion police, a replica shirt is hardly the most stylish thing that anyone can wear, and I do cringe when I see people wearing them on holiday at the dinner table!

Ha ha...absolutely.  What about the people that, whilst on holiday, pop down to the supermarket in nothing but their swimming costume.....and also eat up at the dinner table in it too.  I find that mental.  You wouldn't go to Sainsbury's or The Ivy in your Speedos back home, so why on holiday?

I always thought kids wore them because they wanted to be like their idols, when you're old enough to realise that; a) your idol is infact a complete twat, or b) that you're never going to make it you should stop wearing them.  At that stage you just look a bit sad.

I always thought kids wore them because they wanted to be like their idols, when you're old enough to realise that; a) your idol is infact a complete twat, or b) that you're never going to make it you should stop wearing them.  At that stage you just look a bit sad.

Ha ha....maybe that is what it is.  A fat bloke in the East Lower reckons he may get a game?  "Oi you.....the one with Balti Pie and Singha down your replica shirt......start warming up.....you're on for Mata in 5 minutes!"

Ha ha...absolutely.  What about the people that, whilst on holiday, pop down to the supermarket in nothing but their swimming costume.....and also eat up at the dinner table in it too.  I find that mental.  You wouldn't go to Sainsbury's or The Ivy in your Speedos back home, so why on holiday?

Yeah I know, why is it always people who should never ever wear speedos that choose to?

Yeah I know, why is it always people who should never ever wear speedos that choose to?

Same as people who flash and get naked all the time.  Always the people you least want to see naked.  Like at my work Christmas party......this guy who is otherwise a mute in the office all year round......got drunk and decided to get his balls out.  He stood up, whipped em out.....and moulded them into some sort of flesh pattie.  Really disturbing.  Why does that happen but the busty secretary you've been eyeing up all year not get her milkers out?

I haven't worn a replica shirt since the 1976/77 season when I was about 19 or 20. I'm 55 now, and wouldn't even contemplate wearing a Chelsea shirt for three main reasons - 1) I couldn't afford one - 2) it would need to be updated every year or two - 3) they probably don't sell replica shirts in a "large tent" or "small marquee" size :wink:

Some people look ridiculous in replica shirts while others look good, and it's not always down to age and/or size. I've nothing against people who want to wear them though, no matter what they look like - if they're happy then that's fine with me.

In areas populated largely by plastic mancs and plastic scousers, there's certainly some point to wearing a Chelsea shirt. A challenge if you like. Less so in recent years, unfortunately as our success has attracted all manner of shirt wearers only.

A corpulent 50 year old bloke (or blokess come to that) wearing anything on the tight side isn't exactly the most appealing of sites. Me being somewhat on the skinny side, that's one problem I don't have. Not that supposed sartorial elegance alone would stop me wearing something I wanted to wear.

As for the shirts themselves, I would never rush out and pay the full asking price for the latest incarnation of a flimsy rag produced in some sweatshop in the far east. Wait till the end of the season and snap 'em up for the song. You then have the perfect garment for slapping around in. They're easy to wash, dry in no time, and never need ironing. Cool in summer, warm under a jacket or jumper in colder weather, then when they begin to get old and tatty, you can wear them in bed, should you so wish. Pyjama tops is another perfectly acceptable use for cheap football shirts.

As is apparent, I'll very rarely be seen wearing this season's shirt, an exception being the one I was given a few years ago for my 50th birthday. This Rangers away shirt is one of my favourites, one of very few red garments I've ever owned. You don't see many of these about either:

7ed4645b62828ac599f4d7548d59dd32.jpg

I haven't worn a replica shirt since the 1976/77 season when I was about 19 or 20. I'm 55 now, and wouldn't even contemplate wearing a Chelsea shirt for three main reasons - 1) I couldn't afford one - 2) it would need to be updated every year or two - 3) they probably don't sell replica shirts in a "large tent" or "small marquee" size :wink:

Some people look ridiculous in replica shirts while others look good, and it's not always down to age and/or size. I've nothing against people who want to wear them though, no matter what they look like - if they're happy then that's fine with me.

BlueBeard!  You are massively over-exaggerating your size!  I have met you - you are a pleasantly plump young chappie with a wealth of interesting tales which makes you an extremely interesting drinking companion!

I once knew a bloke who had played basketball for France and had a minor role in Barbarella - he looked drop-dead gorgeous  but within 15 minutes of talking to him (about himself naturally) I couldn't wait to get away from him!

Archived