Europa League Final Player Ratings

Petr Cech 8/10 - Didn't put a foot wrong all day and made a very good save in the second half, was excellent coming off his line as well. Fantastic goalkeeper.

Cesar Azpilicueta 7/10 - Apart from giving away a penalty i thought he was very solid throughout, didn't get forward much but defended well.

Branislav Ivanovic 7/10 - Was a bit sloppy at times but gets an extra 2 points for a wonderful headed winner.

Gary Cahill 10/10 - Man Of The Match. He got everything spot on today, positioned himself well the whole game and never put a foot wrong. Made a great headed clearance in the first half and saved the game from going to extra time with that unbelievable block at the end. Possibly his best performance for the club.

Ashley Cole 7/10 - Same as Azpilicueta, looked solid throughout, didn't get forward much but did very well defensively.

David Luiz 6/10 - Wasn't great but wasn't awful, not one of his best games but improved in the second half.

Frank Lampard 7/10 - Solid throughout, i thought he tracked back to help the team out really well especially in the first half. He had 2 amazing shots on goal, 1 brilliant save from the keeper and 1 that smashed the crossbar ( damn i wish that one went it )

Ramires 3/10 - Worst ever game for the club, poor passing, poor control, offside all the time, gave away stupid freekicks throughout the whole game, get's an extra point for getting the corner that won us the game, i'll forgive him though just because of this moment.

Oscar 4/10 - Not a good game at all from Oscar, like Ramires he lacked everything. He did a bit better than Ramires so get's an extra point.

Mata 7/10 - Very quiet game from Mata but even when he is quiet he does amazing things, set up both goals and got his assists tally up to 38 for the season, amazing, and is without doubt the player of the season.

Torres 8/10 - Scored a wonderful goal to put us in front and worked hard for the team, i thought he should have had a pen in the second half as well. He's had a great tournament and deserved a goal in the final.

• I cannot agree on Azpi's rating.  That handball was an act of madness, and I cannot give him more than a 5 for that.  Yes, Oscar was poor, and Rambo was a wild man running about and fouling anything that moved.  It was like he did not learn anything from his sending off against Villa.   Has he turned into Joey Barton?

And don't forget Cech's assist for our first goal.  I had never seen him make a throw up the middle of the pitch until that moment, and then, with Mata's great flick and Nando's great finish, it turned into a goal in a blink of an eye.

I think Ramires being offside is clouding people's opinions.  He was out of position, put in a lot of fouls that broke up play (how he never got carded I'll never know) and he, as usual, worked tirelessly.  I was hoping we'd actually not sub him but move him into the middle and bring on Moses.  However that'd have meant Cahill or Ivan coming off....thankfully we did none of that.

Cahil, great performance, reminiscent of last year and in Barca.

I'd say

Cech - 9/10 (Distribution was fantastic)

Dave - 4/10 (Got dragged out of position a few times and was definitely at fault for the pen)

Iva - 8/10 (Did what was needed in defence and scored a great goal)

Cahill - 10/10 (Flawless performance, saved us at the very death)

Ash - 7/10 (Solid but nothing spectacular)

Luiz - 4/10 (Poor all game, lost the ball, got skinned numerous times)

Super Frank - 5/10 (Again, our midfield got overrun but had some good shots)

Ramires - 5/10 (Not his best game but he was full of running, got fouled a lot and won the all important corner)

Mata - 8/10 (2 assists, didn't influence the game as much as normal but class as ever)

Oscar - 5/10 (Got bullied by the Benfica defence but didn't do too badly)

Torres - 8/10 (Great goal, should have gotten a penalty too)

I think the amount of times Ramires was offside shows just how difficult it is for a midfielder like him to play wide attack. The only one I would change in the OP is Oscar, 6 for me as he kept the defenders busy all game and was dragging the full backs back well.

yeah and as usual he put in his fair share of hard work.

I think the reason we played poorly is that lamps and luiz didn't play well. both looked (understandably) incredibly tired. actually you can add mata to that too. we lost the midfield battle. cahill was probably our freshest player and was by far our best and that might be coincidental but I somehow doubt it.

but how we played and who was good or bad doesn't matter. we've got the trophy and these players need and deserve a good bit of time off now. hopefully they can raise themselves one more time on the weekend.

I'm not a big fan of scoring players, as it's difficult to fairly judge an all-round performance.

Take Lampard, for instance. I didn't think he played particularly well defensively, he was caught out of position a bit too often, leaving Luiz isolated, and I don't think either he nor Luiz offered the full backs support quickly enough when Benfica switched play. Yet at the same time, he was one of our main threats going forward, and was unlucky not to score with that rocket in the 2nd half. How do you rate that?

In terms of 'moments of magic' - Torres and Cahill without doubt deserve mentions. I'll actually give Torres extra praise for that goal, because he easily could've went down when Luisao tried to trip him before the goal (which would've been a red card).

Either way, massive team performance, it wasn't spectacular, but we got the job done. So I'll say Chelsea - 10/10.

It is a hard one and although I wouldn't disagree with a lot of the marks given, those giving Oscar such low marks are being harsh - especially when compared to Mata. I thought he was more involved in the game than Mata who for large part looked as though he had little in way of energy. I lost count of the number of times Mata came back and tried to help out around our box, only to keep giving the ball to Benfica.

It is a hard one and although I wouldn't disagree with a lot of the marks given, those giving Oscar such low marks are being harsh - especially when compared to Mata. I thought he was more involved in the game than Mata who for large part looked as though he had little in way of energy. I lost count of the number of times Mata came back and tried to help out around our box, only to keep giving the ball to Benfica.

The reason i gave Oscar low marks is because every time he touched the ball it would bounce off him, Mata was quiet but he could at least control the ball and set up 2 goals. Mata had that moment of magic in him which Oscar was lacking.

Archived