Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charles Ryder

Football Manager 2014

Second season in the books, we ended up doing the double.

iblS49zDrIaLiD.PNG

The highlight of our league campaign was a perfect 19 win record at Stamford Bridge.

ibcbDoXOsBjGzi.PNG

We atoned for last seasons embarrassing FA Cup semi blow-out against Newcastle by beating West Ham. Now, moving on to the negative...

id7qAKi6VUepR.PNG

This happened.

After navigating our way through a tricky run of knockout games that included Dortmund, Barca and Bayern our European Cup dreams were quashed in Berlin by Leverkusen. They scored a goal eerily reminiscent of Zidane's legendary Hampden Park strike early on and we never really recovered. JT had a shocker defensively but the biggest disappointment was Frank Lampard: he ended the match with a rating of 4.7.

I put the defeat down to my lack of real steel in central midfield, Khedira was suspended for the final so I was forced to start with and ageing Lamps and an inexperienced Chalobah. I had to address this weakness as soon as possible, so I hit the market... big time.

iEb3PslxNoluO.PNG

Call me crazy if you like but Bayern wouldn't settle for any less and I was desperate to get a world class box-to-box guy in. Here's hoping that he does better than the last 50 million pound Chelsea purchase...

Speaking of Fernando, I decided to let him go to Sampdoria for a cool 5 million. Lukaku is still on loan at Dortmund for another year so I'm going into the season relying on Ferreyra and a 19-year-old Timo Werner up front, with Schurlle as cover. Recipe for disaster? Perhaps, but I think Werner will step up to the mark.

iGD1JNzzLL6hZ.PNG

That's my squad, fingers crossed it will be good enough for another run in Europe.

Good squad, Schweinsteiger is most prob one of the best midfielders in the game every year. Im a little concerned about your lack of depth upfront, BUT im a Chelsea supporter so im used to that worry. On a personal note it looks like you know how to boss the game with ease mate.

I wouldn't say that, not after that Leverkusen result! :blush2:

We're light up front and ideally we'd still have Drogba around but he decided to retire; hopefully everything will work out fine.

The fee for Schweini is a tad unrealistic given his age but this is only my first FM2014 save so I'm not too bothered about realism.

This is how far ive got at the minute.

bQ4QKyr.png

And heres my non existant forward line, including that The Squirrell is just back from injury aswell.

iLgunSu.png

Luckily i just foundout that Van Ginkel is capable of pulling out the occasional hat trick.

aVJyn5O.png

I had a stormer of a first season with Chelsea. My only signing was Nemanja Matic for £12m. Won the Premier League and the Champions League, with a personal highlight of mine being turning around a 3-0 loss against Barca in the CL Semi Final first leg to win 5-3 on aggregate, then beating Real Madrid 3-0 in the final.

Demba Ba and Andre Schurlle were by far and away my best players for me, scoring 23 and 22 goals respectively.

My second season isn't going as well. Couldn't agree a new contract with Ashley Cole so he left and I replaced him with Luke Shaw. Ryan Bertrand has pick up where Cole left off though and has taken the first team spot. I sold Fernando Torres and replaced him with Jackson Martinez. Results haven't gone the right way though, I'm currently 9th and cannot get a goal for toffee!!! 

Well, you have Steven Fletcher...that's....something

An excellent 3rd choice striker imo. 

Got him for 3M and he only wants 20k a week. Plus he fits into my DLF role very well. 

Watfords goalkeeper Almunia just scored from a goal kick in the 89th minute.

Goalkeeper dived for a ball he should have just picked up. A spell on the bench for you Courtois.

I swear IF-S role is bugged. Whenever the players cut inside, they just shoot, never ever ever pass. Annoying as f**k cause if they pass I would have a striker in on goal.

The game is very frustrating atm.  

My season is falling apart, my forwards " when fit " couldnt score in a brothel, Luiz and Ash keep getting sent off and we just lost back to back games, with the last game being Norwich.

Whatever next? The supporters start calling me AVB?

Fascinating reading your stories. I downloaded the demo and played it for a couple of evenings. I was staying up late and all sorts. I hadn't even passed pre-season!

Reading your stories proper makes me want to buy it. Unfortunately, with a baby due in April and the PS4 on pre-order, I highly doubt I'll get any time at all. The wife wouldn't be happy!

Proper jealous though; FM is such a laugh.

I know I said I wasn't getting the game...but it's already sucking me in...It's unstoppable.

If I download it (legally), how big will the download be?

Never mind, it's too late, I couldn't wait more than an hour...it's already downloading

God damnit, I'm the worst.

"I won't be getting football manager 2014", half an hour later "I have to get football manager 2014"

:rolleyes:

I haven't purchased 2014... yet. I'm still content with FM2013.

Any big changes? I really haven't bothered to check the two different versions.

Welcome to the world of mind numbing frustration Cam.

I've been dealing with this mind numbing frustration every year since 2005 (and before that with various CM and other manager games).

I was going to kick it this year...but nope...apparently not.

Thank God I haven't tried heroin.

Has anyone read "Football Manager Stole my Life"?

I've been dealing with this mind numbing frustration every year since 2005 (and before that with various CM and other manager games).

I was going to kick it this year...but nope...apparently not.

Thank God I haven't tried heroin.

Has anyone read "Football Manager Stole my Life"?

I haven't, I've always wanted to though; the early history of the series interests me a great deal, I'm too young to have experienced the Championship Manager era.

How do the Chelsea players rate in FM? Do they class any of them as world class? What about the youngsters?

True to life more or less, Hazard and Mata are the highest rated and De Bruyne has the best potential of the youngsters. Azpi has blossomed into one of the best right backs in the world, Real Madrid have come in for him a couple of times with big offers.

Ability levels vary from save to save, some players have a set maximum potential a la Fifa but a lot have a different rating with each new game ('save' in FM parlance) started.

You can use the editor to take a peek under the hood and look at the potential of players if you want to but it's a bit of a game-breaker, it's better to just rely on the scouts within the game itself, even if you end up with a few duds as a result!

Failure and misery are just as important as success and fun in FM, if it was easy no one would be interested in it.