Football Manager 2014

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Third season wrapped up, unfortunately we've failed to build on our double success.

ikDXnGeJ0XdC3.PNG

We were eliminated in the Champions League quarters by Barca, frustrating to dominate a match in such a manner and still end up getting beaten. As much as I love Chucky Ferreyra he's not a world class centre forward, Lukaku's return from Dortmund next season will hopefully give us a bit more firepower up front.

Real won their second European Cup under Ancelotti, beating Dortmund in Cardiff on penalties after a 0-0 stalemate. They've won La Liga three years on the trot.

We weren't able to defend our FA Cup title, bowing out in the semis after Man United were handed a typical suspect penalty by Howard Webb. I was furious.

iiEqu0hidQtR9.PNG
iINulbZ30B7Hi.PNG

The Premiership race went down to the final day but Man City managed to do what was necessary, beating Stoke to secure the first title of Jose Mourinho's tenure. They missed out on the Champions League last season and I've got no doubt that their lack of European football was a big advantage in terms of squad fitness.

irLemuQTSTqcg.PNG

Ah well, there's always next year.

Man City decided to pursue one of my young talents as soon as the transfer window opened, launching a big offer. I negotiated the deal and eventually got them to agree to an eye-watering 45 million pound deal, not bad for a 20-year-old that I signed on a free transfer a couple of seasons ago.

iA6hPHJa7k8x9.PNG

With Lukaku coming back Werner or Ferreyra would've been relegated to third-choice status, so I decided to accept the offer. I've got a young regen striker coming through the academy that can take up the third striker spot.

With Terry retiring and our contractual obligations to Torres coming to an end we'll have an extra 210k per week to play with on wages, now I've just got to figure out where to invest the 77 million transfer budget.

There has been a lot of movement on the managerial scene, David Moyes was sacked after finishing 9th and losing both the FA Cup and Capital One Cup finals. United appointed Jurgen Klopp in the wake of his Champions League final defeat.

Guus Hiddink retired so the Tottenham job opened up, David Moyes was appointed. Arsense Wenger also retired at Arsenal, they've opted for a somewhat left-field appointment in the form of Leonid Slutskiy.

How did you manage that? Lewandowski automatically heads to Bayern on the beta database, did they update his transfer status with the patch?

That's what I thought?!? I had a £17m transfer budget to play with in my first season so Lewandowski, Pogba, Khedira and Thiago Silva were well beyond me.

Edited by Huttsey

My tactics are getting results so far...but I'm not convinced they'll last...

I mean, over the years of playing this game, I keep thinking I've mastered it at various points, only to go on a 5 match losing run where I can't score a goal. Have to see how this pans out.

So far, I beat Southampton (H) 2-1, Villa (H) 1-0, Newcastle (A) 3-1 and Bayern 1-0. Even with retain possession on, I'm on the wrong side of that stat quite often.

I signed Werner, and Onazi (DM) is probably coming too. I'm working on a few other things, but I don't know if they'll get done. I thought I might be able to get Lewandowski in a Ba + cash exchange because he's in the last year, but they aren't going for it. I wonder if I wait till January if there's a chance I can offer him a huge contract and get him for free.

-----

Oh, I signed Lewandowski...but failed to move on another striker. And I signed Onzai, but failed to notice Lazio had installed a loan back option in the negotiations, so I don't have him anyway. Deadline day panic. I wanted him to play.

I can't talk to players well apparently. Mikel got a transfer offer from PSG early in the game, I countered, because the offer wasn't good enough. Mikel kicked up a stink, and now he's unhappy. Couldn't talk him down.

De Bruyne gets an offer, I reject it. He asks for a new contract, I say no, there's time on this one (which usually worked previously). He complained, and now he's unhappy. Couldn't talk him down.

Is it because I have no reputation yet?

Scouts recommend Balanta at the start, coming to end of 1st season and he's already keeping Luiz out of the team.

In other news, lost to Arsenal in the UCL semi final on penalties. Had 66% possession and 4 times more shots. Devastated.

Team's playing well, getting the results. Cesar has been phenomenal. Luiz is my top scorer on 5 (lol). Lewandowski and Eto'o have been awful.

Is there a quick way to do screenshots. I thought there was something to press in game where it would save your screenshot to steam or something where it would have a sharing code....but if that is possible, I can't for the life of me remember how it's done.

I know I used to save screenshots, upload them to a sharing site, and go from there, but I think there's a better way (though maybe I'm imagining it).

ibzAUJfKBR2FWy.PNG

Fourth season under way, decided to invest the Werner money into getting Julian Draxler; I needed a more orthodox wide man to play on the right and challenge Hazard's first team place on the left.

ibocBu7QMrg9tA.PNG

Schurrle was surplus to requirements so I shifted him to Wolfsburg. My other signing for the window will prove to be an absolute steal:

ibhFO1sQY81cUF.PNG

He came out of the River Plate academy and had a solid season at Sevilla, making 37 league appearances with an average rating of 7.64. He had a release clause of 16.75 million.

ibbhVbNyKNmdji.PNG

Hopefully we can bounce back after our disappointing finish last season.

Team's playing well, getting the results. Cesar has been phenomenal. Luiz is my top scorer on 5 (lol). Lewandowski and Eto'o have been awful.

Is there a quick way to do screenshots. I thought there was something to press in game where it would save your screenshot to steam or something where it would have a sharing code....but if that is possible, I can't for the life of me remember how it's done.

I know I used to save screenshots, upload them to a sharing site, and go from there, but I think there's a better way (though maybe I'm imagining it).

I think there's a way to take screenshots in-game and save them to a specific folder but you'd still have to upload them.

I just use the good old PrtScn/ms paint/Minus combo.

Edited by Charles Ryder

Had a journeyman save

Pompy, Port Vale, FC Caen, Some French team I don't know, FC Emmen (Dutch Juplier League), Blackburn.

Blackburn didn't feel right and I tend to lose interest 7/8 years in.

Starting a game with my second team- Middlesbrough (My Dad is a Boro fan)

My next game will be Chelsea. 

Due to being so low down last game, I have no idea who turns out good. I was very impressed with this FM and looking forward to my new save.

Yeah I got sacked from Pompey mid way through the first season, but I was making the right moves playing the kids and all and reducing the wage bill etc, dominated games but results plummeted after Christmas. I was 2nd and found myself 15th by March. No choice but to go.

Port Vale was a nightmare and I was quit pretty quickly.

Caen (French league two) I count myself unlucky. I had to sell out in the interview in the job. They asked me 'mid table finish' and I said I could perform slightly better with less money. I came 14 games into the season with them in the bottom three, 9 points adrift. By about the 25th game I cut to goal difference, but I was gone. They went down anyway.

The new French team were a division below and the first decent record on my career. Got within 1 point off promotion for a team predicted 15th. I won 7 of my last 8, but drew 2-2 to Caen on the third to last game and a striker I signed (also my favourite every FIFA player- Dalibor Veselinovic) scored the equaliser in the 87th minute. Pretty much cost me promotion. The board then cut my wage bill from 38k a week to 11k a week. Well I had 7 players once contracts ran up, but their wage totalled 14k, so I would have had to player 'silver star' youths. I had to go.

FC Emmen in the Juplier League was a success. Media prediction bottom when I came but I came 9th then 3rd, losing in the playoffs.

I somehow got the Blackburn job, past experience semi-pro (relegated from Prem). Cleared out the wage bill, but I made some choices to put me off the game. Signing Wayne Rooney was one of them. Only 2018 but he had completely dropped as a player- 2 star for championship.

New game for Boro I've just started. Trying to get a work man like team. High Stamnia, Work rate, Determination and Team work is what I'm focusing on (inspired by Jose). Liability players such as Emnes are straight out the door. 2 games in, I look solid but lack a cutting edge.

How's the unemployed save mate?

God, I love FM.

I'm going into leg one of the CL Qtr's against Dortmund without JT, Sideshow Bob, Ash, and BranIvan

Suspensions out the wazooooo

On the bright side, won the Carling Cup with a second team, and am ahead in the league again after United lost their last 5 away games *sniggers*. They are now third, behind Spurs *booos*. Will post screenshots for season 1 at its completion. Don't really have any dominant players in terms of performance.

Edit: hahaha what a nuts game it ended up being...dominated the game in terms of shots...ended up winning 5-2. Was up 4-0 before they scored 2. Cahill...Cahill of all people scored a hattrick. One header, one ping pong shot in the box...and for some reason at only 2-0 up, he takes a penalty to get his hattrick.

Edited by Cam