Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest RFC_CFC

Sad News....Sandy Jardine

Guest RFC_CFC

It's with a heavy heart that I can confirm Sandy passed away today after a brave battle with cancer.

R.I.P to a true Rangers legend.

78886-sandy-jardine.jpg

Just heard the terrible news, Sandy Jardine was one of my all-time favourite players. I was privileged enough to see him play for Rangers a few times, he was a real top-class class player. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

RIP Sandy Jardine, a true Rangers legend.

Sandy Jardine Statement

f8502e9d6ff6bc8314ebcb02fc55c4d4_XL.jpg

It is with deep regret that Rangers Football Club has confirmed the death of Light Blues legend Sandy Jardine.

Sandy had been battling bravely against cancer for the past 18 months and was a regular visitor to Ibrox until a short time ago but he sadly passed away peacefully tonight surrounded by his family.

Rangers has lost a man of dignity, class and honour tonight and the thoughts of everyone at the Club are with his wife Shona, children Steven and Nicola, his grandchildren and friends.

Rangers Manager Ally McCoist commented: “There have been many great names associated with Rangers Football Club in our 142 year history and Sandy is a Rangers legend in every sense of the word.

“We are all devastated by the news he has passed away, we have lost a great man today.

“I had the privilege of watching Sandy playing for Rangers when I was a young boy, I had enjoyed the pleasure of working with him closely since I returned to the Club in 2007 and he was a truly remarkable human being.

“His achievements both on and off the pitch are second to none and I was honoured to regard him as a friend. He gave everything for this great club and worked tirelessly in a number of roles because he wanted to ensure the traditions, history and standards at Rangers were maintained.

“He was respected not only by Rangers fans but also the wider football community and he is a huge loss to the game. We will never see his like again in the modern era.

“He recently told me he was proud to be a Ranger and wanted to be remembered forever as a Ranger. Well Sandy you will go down in history as one of the greatest of all time and we will miss you terribly.

“It is a very sad day for everyone associated with Rangers and our thoughts are with his wife Shona, his children Steven and Nicola, his grandchildren and the rest of his family and friends.â€

Chief Executive Graham Wallace commented: “Sandy Jardine epitomised everything that is good about Rangers Football Club. He was a man of principle and class and his contribution during his career both on and off the pitch was truly remarkable.

“He was a credit to the Club for decades and in my meetings with him his dignity, class and love for Rangers shone through.

“On behalf of everyone at Rangers I wish to send my sincere condolences to Sandy’s family and friends at this difficult time.â€

The term legend is often overused when applied to sporting heroes, but it certainly applies to Rangers great Sandy who gave five decades of service to the Club first as a player and then when he returned to Ibrox in a non-playing role.

A truly world class fullback who was a credit to the Club with his elegant, strong, fast and fair play during his days featuring on the hallowed Ibrox turf, was twice Player of the Year in Scotland and a key man in the Club’s Treble-winning teams of 1976 and 1978.

A hero in Light Blue, Jardine also featured in two World Cups, winning 38 caps for Scotland and made almost 800 appearances for Rangers scoring 77 goals in the process.

He won three League Championships with Rangers, five Scottish Cups, five League Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1972 and is rightly regarded as one of the greatest Rangers players of the post-war era.

His contribution to Rangers since his return in the late 90s was just as significant as he epitomised the dignity, class, history, standards and traditions that are the hallmarks of this 142 year old institution.

Sandy played a key role in almost every area of the Club and he had a galvanising effect on the staff at Ibrox and Murray Park. He was instrumental in keeping spirits high within the staff and fighting for their views to be heard during administration and has the admiration and respect of every employee.

Sandy was also the first face any new player would meet when they joined Rangers, the man who would look after their day to day wellbeing and take them up the Marble Staircase for the first time, to instil the values and tradition of the Club.

He was key in the creation of the Rangers Hall of Fame, he looked after the Club’s memorabilia which includes the Trophy Room and Club Archives, he was on the Board of the Rangers Youth Development Fund, a key member of the Former Rangers Players’ Benevolent Fund and the driving force behind the Rangers Fans’ Fighting Fund which was launched during the dark days of administration.

Such was his affinity with supporters, he also led a march of thousands of Rangers fans to Hampden Park during administration to protest at the sanctions imposed on the Club that threatened its very existence at that time.

A Rangers legend in every sense, Sandy will be missed by everyone who knew him.

RIP to a great man and true Rangers Legend.

Sad, sad, news.

Sandy Jardine was voted into the 1974 World Cup 11 ahead of West Germany World Cup winning right back Berti Vogts.

Sandy was my first ever Rangers hero when I started watching Rangers in 1974.

The first ever player I ever had a poster of up on my wall aged 7 back in 1974

It was a big coloured one and cost me 10p outside Ibrox. I can still picture it now

A great Rangers and Scotland player. And he did a great job for Hearts after leaving Rangers form 1982 -1988.

He won Player of the Year with Rangers in 1974/75 and amazingly won it again in 1985/86 when playing for Hearts.

R.I.P. Sandy.

A couple of my cousins are Rangers Season Ticket Holders and will be at Ibrox tomorrow. Will speak to them in the evening to find out what the club did to remember Sandy. I'm sure it will be something special.

The club have announced that for tomorrow's game, every Rangers player will wear the number 2 in honour of Sandy Jardine.

RANGERS will honour Sandy Jardine at tomorrow’s match with Stranraer as each Light Blues player takes to the field wearing his famous number 2.

Special permission has been granted for every member of Ally McCoist’s squad to bear the legendary fullback’s number on their shorts in tribute to a legend lost.

Sandy lost his battle with cancer last night and ahead of kick-off tomorrow Ibrox will come to a standstill to honour one of its greatest ever.

A minute’s silence will be observed before the match, with players also wearing black armbands during the game as a mark of respect.

On an emotional day for everyone associated with the club Rangers will collect the League One trophy just eight months after Jardine unfurled the league flag to open the season.

Sandy Jardine Tribute Gallery

TRIBUTES to Sandy Jardine have been pouring in from across Scotland and beyond.

For those able to make it to Ibrox, the gates of the stadium Sandy called home have become a destination for paying respects.

Scarves, shirts, flowers and written tributes have been left by hundreds of supporters of Rangers and more.

Here you can see a small selection of the tributes left in the name of a legend lost.

250414_sandy_tribute_01.jpg

250414_sandy_tribute_02.jpg

250414_sandy_tribute_03.jpg

250414_sandy_tribute_04.jpg

250414_sandy_tribute_05.jpg

250414_sandy_tribute_06.jpg

250414_sandy_tribute_07.jpg

250414_sandy_tribute_08.jpg

250414_sandy_tribute_09.jpg

250414_sandy_tribute_10.jpg

A right back of sheer quality and could also play central defence really well as he did with Hearts

Sandy competed in The Professional Highland Games Sprinting Circuit in the Borders when starting out with Rangers in his late teens .

The word 'Legend' is far, far too often used these days with regards to footballers.

Sandy Jardine however was a true Giant amongst the Footballing Legends.

RIP

It was great to see other club supporters showing their respects to Sandy Jardine at the Ibrox gates .

Chelsea, Hearts, St Mirren, Liverpool, West Ham and Celtic.

I'm sure there are now more clubs tributes and I respect those who did so for that . ::clap2::

Rangers to rename Govan Stand at Ibrox the Sandy Jardine Stand. A great tribute to a great player.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7227-rangers-to-honour-sandy-jardine

Rangers To Honour Sandy JardineWritten by Rangers Football Club

711ec6a3ceff3bee8a4ac5be5e62ff70_XL.jpg

RANGERS Football Club will pay a lasting tribute to the late, great Sandy Jardine by re-naming the Govan Stand in his honour.

The Light Blues legend sadly lost his battle with cancer in April but is forever in our thoughts and the Club will mark his phenomenal 50-year contribution to Rangers by changing the name of the Govan Stand to the Sandy Jardine Stand.

Sandy was based in the offices at the Govan Stand for many years when he returned to the Club he served with such distinction as a player so it is fitting this particular stand will carry his name.

This dedication will be in place for the opening league game of the season against Sandy's former side Hearts at Ibrox on Sunday 10 August. His family will also be guests of the Club on the day and Sandy’s widow Shona says the honour is something he was immensely proud of.

She commented: "My husband considered it a great honour and privilege to represent Rangers Football Club and I know he was extremely proud to receive this lasting tribute from the Club he loved.â€

Rangers Chief Executive Graham Wallace commented: "Sandy Jardine epitomised everything that is good about Rangers Football Club. He was a man of principle and class and his contribution throughout his career both on and off the pitch was truly incredible.

"His achievements are unlikely to be seen again in the modern game and this is a truly fitting way to honour Sandy's memory. The re-naming of the Govan Stand will be a permanent tribute to a man who gave everything for Rangers.

"He was a credit to Rangers for decades and his dignity, class and love for the Club shone through. We have lost a true gentleman but he will never be forgotten and everyone at the Club is immensely proud to re-name the stand in his honour.â€

Rangers Manager Ally McCoist commented: "There have been many great names associated with Rangers Football Club but I can think of no-one more deserving of this tribute than Sandy Jardine.

"A Rangers legend in every sense of the word, he will always be in our hearts and I am delighted he will be remembered forever with this permanent tribute at Ibrox Stadium.

“Sandy's achievements both on and off the pitch were second to none. He gave everything for this great club and we are all looking forward to paying tribute to him at the Hearts game next month."

Sandy, a truly world class fullback, was twice Player of the Year in Scotland and a key man in the Club's Treble-winning teams of 1976 and 1978.

He also featured in two World Cups, winning 38 caps for Scotland and made almost 800 appearances for Rangers scoring 77 goals in the process.

He won three League Championships, five Scottish Cups, five League Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1972 with the Light Blues and is rightly regarded as one of the greatest Rangers players of the post-war era.

His contribution to Rangers since his return in the late 90s was just as significant as he epitomised the dignity, class, history, standards and traditions that are the hallmarks of this 142 year old institution.

Sandy lost his battle with cancer on 24 April 2014.