Corruption Scandal

Zola
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

15 minutes ago, Zola said:

Can you imagine Wenger was tied up in it :laugh2:

Wenger is the one person I am almost 100% certain wouldn't be involved, with maybe a couple others.

Other than that, it's anyone's guess.

2 hours ago, Zeta Orionis said:

Shall we have a pool?

1 point for every correct guess.

My 8 are going to be:

- Sam Allardyce

- Tony Pulis

- Nigel Pearson

- Alex Ferguson

- Harry Redknapp

- Joe Kinnear

- Graeme Souness

- Alan Pardew

I agree that many of those are corrupt. The issue is whether they are among the 8 on the list. It sounds like there were some lower league and assistant managers on the list. 

Corruption in football management goes far beyond whoever is on the list. 

I think that some of your guesses are sophisticated in terms of how they go about it. Ferguson for instance did it through his son and not directly. 

I'd love it if they did a similar investigation into referees. Owners and chairmen too. Oh wait, they don't have to as so many of them are openly corrupt including our dear Roman. I'd be surprised if there is a single owner or chairman that is not corrupt. 

Didn't El Chapo try to buy Chelsea but was rejected by the FA due to the "proper person" criteria? I'm not sure he's that much worse than some of the people that passed the FA criteria to be honest. 

Speaking of Chelsea, Conte did some awfully fishy things in Italy as a player and manager. Jose has/had a relationship with Jorge Mendes that reeks to the high heavens. Going along with corruption is a prerequisite in some countries, so I doubt any of our recent previous managers are clean. 

Edited by offside

2 hours ago, Zeta Orionis said:

Shall we have a pool?

1 point for every correct guess.

My 8 are going to be:

- Sam Allardyce

- Tony Pulis

- Nigel Pearson

- Alex Ferguson

- Harry Redknapp

- Joe Kinnear

- Graeme Souness

- Alan Pardew

Warnock surely has to be in? He's been involved in a lot of sh*t over the years

Also, Sky Sports News says there's a couple of managers who managed internationally. 

Edited by MANoWAR

Pardew strikes me as someone who would ask to be "paid" in women. 

Moyes's brother is an agent. Phelan worked for a long time under Ferguson. Enough said. 

The only two that strike me as clean are Wenger and Howe. I could be totally wrong about them as the best conmen are those you least expect. I lean toward Koeman and Klopp being clean. 

Hughes I'm on the fence about. 

Pulis is definitely corrupt. There have been stories about him for years, and there have also been some legal proceedings. 

By virtue of the fact that their countries are hotbeds of football corruption such that you literally cannot be in football management without accepting corruption as part of the territory, I'd bet money that Conte (this one is more than speculation), Guardiola, Mourinho, Pochettino, Ranieri, Guidolin, Mazzerri, Karanka, Bilic, and anyone I've forgotten from those countries was/is corrupt. 

The others I don't know enough about to have an impression. 

Don't tell me for one minute that the FA doesn't know about these things. At the very least they have heard about them but not seriously investigated.

Edited by offside

1 hour ago, offside said:

I'd bet money that Conte (this one is more than speculation), Guardiola, Mourinho, Pochettino, Ranieri, Guidolin, Mazzerri, Karanka, Bilic, and anyone I've forgotten from those countries was/is corrupt

Claudio is the most saintly man in football.

It's probably worth bearing in mind that managers of Italian clubs (for the most part) have little to no influence over transfer proceedings.

from what Ive read on Twitter there is a paragraph from Joey Barton's biography stating that he knew of a manager (Barton didn't play under him) who used 'creative accounting' to make extra cash. Apparently the manager in question would make late substitutions on the understanding that his assistant would later collect a percentage of the players match fees. Same manager was also infamous for giving homegrown players their debuts, often just for a few minutes, so that the academy director would receive a bonus, to be split again. Finally the player would re-sign players who had played for him at previous clubs & take a cut from them too - paid monthly, in cash.

1 hour ago, londonblue said:

from what Ive read on Twitter there is a paragraph from Joey Barton's biography stating that he knew of a manager (Barton didn't play under him) who used 'creative accounting' to make extra cash. Apparently the manager in question would make late substitutions on the understanding that his assistant would later collect a percentage of the players match fees. Same manager was also infamous for giving homegrown players their debuts, often just for a few minutes, so that the academy director would receive a bonus, to be split again. Finally the player would re-sign players who had played for him at previous clubs & take a cut from them too - paid monthly, in cash.

That sounds like Harry Redknapp  to me.

What I don't understand is that these kinds of things happen all the time in every other business.

Why is it criminal when it's done in football ?

Look at the scandals involving the people running the country and their families get involved in. Off-shore, cash for questions, tax avoidance schemes, MP's expenses scandal........

3 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

Claudio is the most saintly man in football.

It's probably worth bearing in mind that managers of Italian clubs (for the most part) have little to no influence over transfer proceedings.

Such is the nature of ingrained institutional corruption. Even if you are "saintly", you have to go along with it. Serie A was a cesspool of corruption. Match fixing was endemic with Inter Milan. Doping as well. 

Catanzaro where Ranieri spent most of his playing career is one of the corruption capitals of Italy. It's a mafia hub. 

I don't think Ranieri initiated anything, but he certainly went along with it during his time as a player and as a manager. You have to keep your mouth shut and allow it to happen. Furthermore if you refuse to participate to some degree, you risk being seen as a potential mole and thus decrease your employment prospects. Owners in the most corrupt leagues don't trust "saintly" managers. 

That's what allows corruption to flourish, the fact that people who don't want to participate or cover it up still do for self preservation. 

Edited by offside

41 minutes ago, coco said:

What I don't understand is that these kinds of things happen all the time in every other business.

Why is it criminal when it's done in football ?

Look at the scandals involving the people running the country and their families get involved in. Off-shore, cash for questions, tax avoidance schemes, MP's expenses scandal........

I don't know the legal intricacies and what is illegal. If you're using the word criminal in a figurative sense, I think it's just as bad when it's done by other fields.

5 hours ago, Scott said:

That sounds like Harry Redknapp  to me.

Definitely either Redknapp or Warnock. Both clearly crooked and Redknapp had Krancjar, Defoe, Kaboul, Crouch who seemed to follow him everywhere. Warnock similarly seemed to take Paddy Kenny, Michael Brown, Clint Hill , Tongue etc everywhere with him despite them being pretty average players. Fair enough some players have favourites or loyal players but seems more questionable when you know the managers are allegedly crooked.