Spuds v Chelsea (PL) Sun 22nd Dec 16:30 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

5 hours ago, guddy69 said:

https://theboyhotspur.com/witness-statement-re-antonio-rudiger-incident/

Oh dear, "cheat" sounds like a monkey noise? 

While I agree on not tarnishing people without the right evidence (as it seems you don’t need any of it involves Chelsea), the ‘evidence’ he provides to prove everyone innocent is just his opinion. Not really an intelligent bunch north of the river are they. 

Edited by Munkworth

5 hours ago, guddy69 said:

Probably will get myself kicked off the forum for this, but I think there may be something in this. Ie there may be an element of hysteria / ‘fake news’ here. I think it’s unlikely that a Tottenham fan made monkey noises at Rudiger in a premier league match. I don’t think Rudiger is lying, but I think he probably mistook something else for monkey noises. Call me naive, but I genuinely think this kind of behaviour has for the most part been rooted out of premier league football. Not denying there are still plenty of racist fans, but it’s such a taboo now, and the fan bases and teams are so mixed, that I don’t think any closet racist fan is going to take that risk. Not in the premier league. I’ve been to many games over the years and I haven’t heard any racist chants in the premier league for at least 20 years. Other competitions, I have - eg I’ve heard our fans singing antisemitic songs in European away games (inter away 2010), but not in a premier league game.  

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Probably will get myself kicked off the forum for this, but I think there may be something in this. Ie there may be an element of hysteria / ‘fake news’ here.

Why do you think this forum would ban someone for calling an alleged racist chant hysteria / ‘fake news’? It's a slur on the good people here who have seen our own fans on the other end of unproven allegations, so your remark is baffling.

7 hours ago, Dean said:

Probably will get myself kicked off the forum for this, but I think there may be something in this. Ie there may be an element of hysteria / ‘fake news’ here. I think it’s unlikely that a Tottenham fan made monkey noises at Rudiger in a premier league match. I don’t think Rudiger is lying, but I think he probably mistook something else for monkey noises. Call me naive, but I genuinely think this kind of behaviour has for the most part been rooted out of premier league football. Not denying there are still plenty of racist fans, but it’s such a taboo now, and the fan bases and teams are so mixed, that I don’t think any closet racist fan is going to take that risk. Not in the premier league. I’ve been to many games over the years and I haven’t heard any racist chants in the premier league for at least 20 years. Other competitions, I have - eg I’ve heard our fans singing antisemitic songs in European away games (inter away 2010), but not in a premier league game.  

Then there was a post earlier quoting a Spurs fan saying he heard the monkey noises..

13 hours ago, coco said:

Why do you think this forum would ban someone for calling an alleged racist chant hysteria / ‘fake news’? It's a slur on the good people here who have seen our own fans on the other end of unproven allegations, so your remark is baffling.

I didn’t ACTUALLY think I’d get banned. All I really meant by that it’s a bit of a minefield, and comments are susceptible to misinterpretation, as seems to be the case here. I certainly wasn’t expecting anyone to take it as a slur on our fans! I’m sure the many claims against our fans are false too, so perhaps i should have made that clear, or even better - just not waded into the debate at all. 

Edited by Dean

1 hour ago, Dean said:

I didn’t ACTUALLY think I’d get banned. All I really meant by that it’s a bit of a minefield, and comments are susceptible to misinterpretation, as seems to be the case here. I certainly wasn’t expecting anyone to take it as a slur on our fans! I’m sure the many claims against our fans are false too, so perhaps i should have made that clear, or even better - just not waded into the debate at all. 

None of us want to see innocent peoples lives destroyed, even a spuds fan, even if we hate them.

22 hours ago, guddy69 said:

I stopped reading about half way through when he got to the bit where he whined about Spurs being the real victims here and demanded an apology (...why does that sound so familiar?), the pompous twat. His argument is basically ‚I didn’t hear it so it it can’t have happened, and Rüdiger‘s just a silly foreigner anyway‘. I hope Rüdiger was wrong but this is a pretty weak argument.

5 minutes ago, bluedave said:

I stopped reading about half way through when he got to the bit where he whined about Spurs being the real victims here and demanded an apology (...why does that sound so familiar?), the pompous twat. His argument is basically ‚I didn’t hear it so it it can’t have happened, and Rüdiger‘s just a silly foreigner anyway‘. I hope Rüdiger was wrong but this is a pretty weak argument.

He was probably the one doing it...

41 minutes ago, coco said:

None of us want to see innocent peoples lives destroyed, even a spuds fan, even if we hate them.

Are you really innocent if you support the spuds though? It’s a crime against common sense!

38 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Are you really innocent if you support the spuds though? It’s a crime against common sense!

If common sense was a serious crime, they'd all be doing life, north London, home of the bottler.

On 25/12/2019 at 17:37, Dean said:

Call me naive, but I genuinely think this kind of behaviour has for the most part been rooted out of premier league football.

OK, you're naive.  Wasn't it the Spuds who threw a banana at one of the Arsenal players only last season (or maybe the one before)?  There have been several slightly lower profile racist chants in various premier league matches over the last couple of months, but we weren't involved on either side so they were less headline-worth.

We've had our own in here telling us that any reaction to racism is OTT and the PC brigade gone mad.

But, it really is a failing of society itself, and not just  football fans.

3 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

OK, you're naive.  Wasn't it the Spuds who threw a banana at one of the Arsenal players only last season (or maybe the one before)?  There have been several slightly lower profile racist chants in various premier league matches over the last couple of months, but we weren't involved on either side so they were less headline-worth.

We've had our own in here telling us that any reaction to racism is OTT and the PC brigade gone mad.

But, it really is a failing of society itself, and not just  football fans.

If you say so, yorkleyblue. Defending football fans against charges of racism is certainly not a hill I’m prepared to die on. No argument from me on the failing of society either. I just thought maybe they’d done enough,  superficially at least, to deter fans from this sort of behaviour in the premier league. But im sure the stories you point to are true so I defer.