First Single/Album you bought?

erskblue
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Reading back on a bbc thread on this subject and it made me think back. I know, I know..

Just wondering what the first single and or album you remember buying ?

The first single was ‘Mull Of Kintyre’ by Paul McCartney  in Dec 1977. From the local Woolworths store.

First album?  I remember my old man giving me money to buy my mum a Simon and Garfunkel Album for her Christmas about then.

Possibly for myself it was the album ‘Whatever You Want’ by Status Quo in 1979.

It was when starting Secondary School in 1979,I took any interest in music.

Edited by erskblue

Late in the evening, by Paul Simon. 

Having 3 older siblings, there was a wide range of records in the house. My oldest sister was very much into Jimi Hendrix, but there were also records of the Rolling Stones, the Bee Gees, Harry Belafonte, to name just a few. And my parents had many classical records, which I hated at the time, but now I listen to classical music a lot myself. 

Edited by Valerie

Great question. I think that the first single was Back Home. the England World Cup Squad record for 1970. I'm showing my age. As for the album, I'm not sure. I now have about 750 albums and about 50 singles. When I look through my album collection I see that my taste in music has changed over the years. Indeed there are some records in my collection and I wonder what possessed me to buy them. 

Bought for me with no input will probably be something ELO.

First thing I chose for myself(please keep in mind I was still in single digits age-wise at the time) was Babylon Zoo - Spaceman :laugh2:

I much prefer the former to the latter nowadays!

Please enjoy. 

18 hours ago, charierre said:

Good album as for the single...

My excuse is the fact I was only 8 and that The Jam wouldn't be around for another 6 years!

And that lead singer from Middle of the Road was an absolute Babe - not that I would have noticed that at 8!!

42 minutes ago, Nibs said:

My excuse is the fact I was only 8 and that The Jam wouldn't be around for another 6 years!

And that lead singer from Middle of the Road was an absolute Babe - not that I would have noticed that at 8!!

Ah, the lovely Sally Carr from Middle of the Road. One of the best reasons to watch TOTP.

Sally Carr - Wikipedia

6 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Can’t believe I didn’t mention ‘Vienna’ by Ultravox. Bought it as a single in early 1981 and also bought the album of the same name.

My mum worked  in John Menzies from Nov 1980 - Feb 1982 and would bring in various singles and albums.

I was gutted when she moved to a new job.

Good old John Menzies. Used to be a branch in my home town. I think they went out of business in the late eighties. One of my aunts used to work John Menzies in Hamilton and one of the customers was Davie Cooper with that being his home town.

A lady I knew at work used to bring in CDs which she sold for a few quid. Never knew where she got them from!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Michael Jackson, Bad. First album, and might have the cassette somewhere. 

I don’t think I started buying singles until the 90s on cd, they were £3.99 in HMV or something like. But I firmly remember Pet Shop Boys cover of always on my mind as a single during a family holiday in the 80s. 

Great question/thread