Mario Gomez

abramovich

..He's only 22. His price will be really high no doubt. If we lose Drogs he just might be good strike partner for Anelka... And wouldn't mind Chelsea having a really nice bloke like Flo or Zola. Wouldn't really do bad to our image, not that it really matters to me but in business point of view..Drogs probably isn't a player everyone likes.

He has fairly short hair in that picture. Excellent, sign him up.

Gullit4 will never approve of the transfer unless he either a) has floppy hair, :beatdeadhorse: wears an alice hairband or c) is Argentinian. Mights as well call off the transfer now icon_wink.gif

I think it's pretty safe to say that if it were not for Gomez, Stuttgart would not have won the Bundelsliga championship last season. He's a bit off his goal scoring pace because he started the season with an injury.

He's a big guy (6'3") and can be a physical player. Yes, he does look awkward on the field, but he has a nose for the goal. I watched the Germany Switzerland match yesterday and for both goals he came seemingly out of nowhere to strike both times. His first goal was really a thing of beauty. He also assisted on Klose's goal.

He'd definitely be worth the money. As for adaptation, he will manage it.

His goals were great against Switzerland. I didn't realize that he is so pacy for a tall guy. We should get him and Huntelaar to replace Drogs, if he leaves. I'm glad we got Anelka so we won't stand with nothing if Didi goes.

He is the best natural German striker since Klinsmann IMO. For 2 years he is living up to his hype. He was the top scorer in the last Bundesliga season and Germany's player of the year. This season he is just 1 goal behind Luca Toni despite having missed for about 5 games at the start of the season due to injury. He has 24 goals in 26 competitive games this season.

You will have to spend a lot if you want him though. Half the Serie A is after him as well as Real. He will probably stay another year though to give his club a nice sum when he leaves at the end of next season.

• 2 years later...

Chelsea's £36m bid for Gomez was rejected

Roman Abramovich was prepared to shatter the £100million spending mark in the January transfer window, it has emerged.

But an incredible £35.7m bid made by Chelsea's billionaire owner for Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez was turned down.

Despite the harsh current economic times, the Blues smashed the British transfer record by signing Fernando Torres from Liverpool for £50m and increased their spending tally further with the £25m addition of Benfica defender David Luiz.

Abramovich also tried to land highly-rated Anderlecht starlet Romelu Lukaku during the January transfer window but again saw his offer rejected.

The 17-year-old striker, out of contract in 2012, is one of the hottest prospects in Europe and has long been linked with a move to a big club.

Link

Seems like we were really desperate for a striker.

Archived