Best foreign players to have played in Britain

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Ok, I know these lists are usually pointless since these kind of things are a matter of taste, so it depends on who makes the list, but I saw a list done by FourFourTwo magazine on best foreign players to have played in Britain. Most of it is pretty much what you'd expect, but do you see anything wrong with the top ten?

1. Eric Cantona

2. Dennis Bergkamp

3. Thierry Henry

4. Henrik Larsson

5. Gianfranco Zola

6. Peter Schmeichel

7. Ossie Ardiles

8. Cristiano Ronaldo

9. Jürgen Klinsman

10. Patrick Vieira

No, I'm not complaining why Franco isn't #1, but I would like to know what on earth is Christiano Ronaldo doing in the top ten? He is a very talented player and has been unstoppable this season, but does one exceptionally good season really justify such a high ranking on that list. icon_eek.gif

1. Eric Cantona....Do me a favour!

2. Dennis Bergkamp....Great player,defo top 5!

3. Thierry Henry.....Should be top!

4. Henrik Larsson.....No way,the SPL aint up to scratch!

5. Gianfranco Zola......Behind Henrik Larsson,I feel like this list fell out of a Christmas cracker!

No..... Di Canio,Desailly,Super Dan,Cech,Drogba,Van Nistelrooy,Berbatov,Robert Prosinecki in the top ten???????

Ronaldo has now been pretty exceptional for two seasons and he is getting better, so yeah, IMO he should be on the list. The only major one missing for me is Di Canio - brilliant player.

Ginola was good for a while, but of course then he signed for Spurs.

To get into the top ten, surely you have to have at least 5 or 6 seasons of world-classness.

So, for that reason, I don't think that Ronaldo or Klinsmann really qualify. If they do, then surely Drogba and Cech deserve to be up there as well. They have both been at a world-class level for as long as Ronaldo has.

Also, list has the obvious bias towards attacking players. Desailly and Lebeouf should be in with a shout if you ask me.

Ruud Gullit

Gianfranco Zola

Gianluca Vialli

Roberto Di Matteo

Petr Cech

Damien Duff

Arjen Robben

Didier Drogba

Ricardo Carvalho

Eidur Gudjohnsen.

That's a good list, nothing... one sided about that.

Ruud Gullit

Gianfranco Zola

Gianluca Vialli

Roberto Di Matteo

Petr Cech

Damien Duff

Arjen Robben

Didier Drogba

Ricardo Carvalho

Eidur Gudjohnsen.

That's a good list, nothing... one sided about that.

i persume essien is 11th then icon_lol.gif

is that in any particular order gem? my list, in order for chelsea would be

1 franco

2 dessaily (who you missed out, somehow_)

3 robbie di matteo

4 ruudy

5 luca

6 cech

7 ricci

8 frank the beef

9 drogba (dropped down a few because of his constant whinging)

10 Erland Johnsen. (i know he was dodgy, but i liked him)

Well seeing the question relates to Britain then Brian Laudrup belongs on the list.

I'm sure he is, just not in the top ten. Ok, he was a massive disappointment at Chelsea, but he didn't do too badly at Rangers. 431.gif

Me and my mates have had this conversation every month or so for the last 3 years, and the result always comes out the same (and these include the views of gooners / mancs and virtually every other club known to man):

1. Zola

2. Cantona

3. Bergkamp

Never any dispute on names or order.

I'll submit one for the best foreign players to have played for us. No British or Irish included.

1. Zola

2. Ruud

3. Desailly

4. Gallas

5. Makelele

6. Drogba

7. Cech

8. Robbie Di

9. Super Dan

10. Poyet

Numbers 4 & 10 may upset some with their inclusion because they have both left Chelsea and proved themselves top class c*nts. But there's no denying they were quality players when they wore a Chelsea shirt.

Could also argue for Dorigo to be included in there as well. Top player in his day.

I could also perhaps make a case for Ruud to be in the no:1 position. IMO, that first season he played for us under Hoddle he was virtually flawless. In every game he played. For the entire season. Zola was better over a long span of time, but I don't think he was quite as good, as consistent or as influential as Ruud was in that first season.

Cantona in a lot - do me a favour since when does a few back heels constitute a good player - overated ponce in my book but each to their own ;-)

Mine in no order other than franco

Zola

Van Breuklyn (sp? dutch keeper at forest)

Desaiily

Di Canio

Henry

Asprilla (due to being a lunatic and getting a few goals for the barcodes)

Bergkamp

Klinsmann (diving rottenham scum but decent player unfortunately)

Juninho

Cech

Ricky villa

Me and my mates have had this conversation every month or so for the last 3 years, and the result always comes out the same (and these include the views of gooners / mancs and virtually every other club known to man):

1. Zola

2. Cantona

3. Bergkamp

Never any dispute on names or order.

Cantona

If only for the chant:

'Hes French, hes Flash

Hes shagging Lesley Ash

Cantonaaaaa Cantonaaaaa

Sung while Sharp was on the pitch

After we won the cup in 97 we went down the Fulham rd to celebrate. That song was sung to Mr Chapman in the street by 3 of us as we sped off in a black cab. He is a big fella and had mates with him, he wasn't pleased icon_lol.gif