Following our nearest and dearest rivals

It is August now!

Well...I need to make a name on this forum somehow!

Anyone else frustrated that Given stayed in the EPL? Quality keeper. I hope his performance against us in the preseason is not a sign of things to come.

Edited by ethicalstrategy

It is August now!

Anyone else frustrated that Given stayed in the EPL? Quality keeper. I hope his performance against us in the preseason is not a sign of things to come.

Always liked Given, I want to see quality keepers in the PL.... I'll probably regret that if he saves another Lamps pen though........

I think they do it on a Sunday to make it seem like a bigger deal that what it really is. Saying that im not one of those who rubbishes it. If Chelsea play in it i want them to win and if they dont i get as annoyed as any other game. Its a great way to kick of the season.

It is August now!

Given's story at City is a bit of a sham. How they let that guy drift into irrelevance and, ultimately, sold him for almost nothing, was terrible man management.

He is a favorite target of the "overrated" crowd here, but tell me Arsenal the last 5 years, or Man Utd, pre-Van der Saar would not have been dramatically improved with a shot stopper like that backing them up. Arsenal especially, considering the carousel of crap they have put in net over the last few years.

I think the main thing with given is that he's a great shot stopper but is not great at organizing his defense. Still I'm sure arsenal would've still much better with him then the trash they've had in goals

Never quite understood how Mancini didn't rate him (Given) at all at City. He's going to have his hands full with Aston Villa's defense. A head scratcher how he was sold relatively cheaply and Arsenal didn't go after him. Sometimes Wenger can make some really dumbass decisions. Oh well, Arsenal's loss.

Never quite understood how Mancini didn't rate him (Given) at all at City. He's going to have his hands full with Aston Villa's defense. A head scratcher how he was sold relatively cheaply and Arsenal didn't go after him. Sometimes Wenger can make some really dumbass decisions. Oh well, Arsenal's loss.

I didn't find it strange that Joe Hart was given the gloves ahead of him. I rate Hart as the better keeper, and Mancini either felt the same or thought it was better holding onto Hart, as whoever got the nod, the other one wasn't likely to stick around long. Hart was simply stunning in the first league game against Spuds and never looked back. Best defensive record in the league also more than justifies Mancini's decision.

And while I agree about Wenger making dumbass decisions, Arsenal do have a good bunch of young goalkeepers at the moment all pushing for a start and its pretty clear City are not going to sell to their rivals players that will improve them in any way.

Edited by footballoholic

Given was hell of a shot stopper, I stopped counting how many points we dropped against him. I was surprised Macini didn't play him more often last season, especially in the Europa league and FA cup.

I reckon Wenger bank his fortune on the young goal keepers again, will end in tears and he will blame us or City for hiking up the transfer market, again.

Good ol Harry Rednapp is aleady started early with the excuses why the Spuds won't win the PL...cause there are too many games in the Europa League. They didn't have a snowballs chance in hell anyway of making the top 6 in the PL let alone win it....'muppet'...to add to his woes the spuds are being investigated for stealing the spammers bank records...I guess that will be another reason why they won't win the PL because all their executive wheeler and dealers will be behind bars!

Stoke are currently 1-0 up away to Hajduk Split in the qualifying stages of the Europa Cup. This is already their third competitive competitive fixture of the close season, so this advanced preparation may well be to their advantage when we meet them in just 10 days time.

Correction. This is only Stoke's second competitive match. I was thinking they'd been involved in a previous qualifying round but apparently their Europa League debut was in the home leg vs Hajduk Split last week.

They come up with a cool idea and then they ruin it all by including Liam Gallagher in the marketing campaign.

:laugh2: Very good point, the daft northern monkey.

City just bought the Romania #1 Pantilimon. Now, being Romanian myself, I follow all Romanian (and of course American) players avidly. I have to point out that City just got themselves a quality back-up keeper. Pantilimon is definitely one of the rising stars for the Romanian national team. Having said that, that really doesn't mean a lot because Romania is currently just downright awful. Although Pantilimon has been one of the few bright spots, I'm disappointed to see he'll no longer be playing regular first team football.

Arsenal have drawn Udinese in CL qualifying. Should be an interesting tie. Especially as Wenger, Nasri and Van Persie are banned.

I had forgotten about that. It would be hilarious to see them drop into the Europa League but I can't see it happening.

If Arsenal had got Rubin Kazan that could have been a tough ask to go to Russia without Nasri and RVP and then obviously Fabregas with his head in the clouds............ or in Spain ;)