Animated gifs

Perhaps I should have more pressing things to worry about and maybe I'm showing my age, but is anyone else bored by these? They seem to be increasing and whilst anyone can of course post what they want, really it's never been that type of forum, if that's your thing go to football365 or whatever...

Use your words!

Edited by bjd

Perhaps I should have more pressing things to worry about and maybe I'm showing my age, but is anyone else bored by these? They seem to be increasing and whilst anyone can of course post what they want, really it's never been that type of forum, if that's your thing go to football365 or whatever...

Use your words!

They were banned from here iirc.

Coco I seemed to stumble across a few this morning. They just rile me a little to be honest. It's my issue I guess, mardy sod I am. Far bigger things to be concerned with I suppose.

Edited by bjd

Coco I seemed to stumble across a few this morning. They just rile me a little to be honest. It's my issue I guess, mardy sod I am. Far bigger things to be concerned with I suppose.

We'll see what Loz says when he see's this,  they are a pain in the arse when trying to get a page to load over the cell data network.

We banned signatures and no matter how many times anyone asks I am never allowing those!

Gifs can't be banned as far as I am aware - I would just ask people to use them sparingly - it does get a bit annoyign to see loads of them. So far I wouldn't say we have that on here.

I think this discussion came up a couple of years ago, I seem to remember the thread being quite hilarious.

I would agree that it is a concern when people post gifs in lieu of actually making an argument. When I see something like a TV character laughing or shaking their head disparagingly in response to an argument the poster deems ridiculous I can't say I particularly like it.

On the other hand, I think gifs are useful when they are used to show a replay of a goal or a match event; often they are of higher quality than Youtube videos, and without the odd modifications people use to avoid copyright laws (e.g. zooming in, colour modifications, etc.)

I'm not entirely sure how we could ban them though; I think loz is right that our only real option is to hope that people don't overdo it.

Gifs can't be banned as far as I am aware - I would just ask people to use them sparingly - it does get a bit annoyign to see loads of them. So far I wouldn't say we have that on here.

You should be able to stop .gif extensions being allowed in the forum settings. 

That's quite possible Coco. I will check it out. Not sure about banning them though. Plokoon makes a good point about them having some uses

I have no qualms with them at all, in fact Iv'e made a fair few myself over the years.