New Laptop, advice please.

Gem

I've only ever had Windows/Microsoft PCs and laptops, and I'm thinking about buying a new one, but I also want a change so was considering buying a Mac. Has anyone else had both? If so, which do you prefer? Any major pros or cons when comparing the two? I've never had any problems with Microsoft, but I do want a change. Really, I want to downsize and get something a bit smaller and more mobile.

Got a couple of months to save up, so I want to make sure I get the right one.

What I use my laptop for:

Internet

Downloading Music

... Not much else.

Also, is there a way I can transfer my iTunes from computer to computer? I've got 3000+ songs on my laptop & I don't want to have to put them all on again.

I used to be PC, but once you go Mac you never go back. ;)

As it happens I'm upgrading my old iBook this week to one of these beauties: Apple Macbook White

If all you're doing is browsing the web and downloading music I'd say a Mac would be perfect as you'd have the piece of mind of not being a target for viruses. Of course you can get a more powerful Windows laptop for the money but for me the reliability, design and ease of use of Macs is what it's all about.

If you've got an iPod here's how to transfer your music: Transfer PC to Mac

Thanks SW for the advice.

The thing I want to get right most is the memory, I want a lot of the stuff ;)

I have no idea what my current one is, I'm sure I can find out on the system somehow, but do Macs have similar memories as the PCs? And what about stuff like Microsoft word, excel etc? What do Macs have?

I'll be heading to Bluewater at some point to check out what their Apple store has to offer, especially as they let you test one out etc. but it is their job to sell the Mac, but the fact you've experienced both means I'm getting the advice I really need.

You mentioned price, I'm not after high end by no means, I want to downsize from what I have more than anything, size & weight wise, but I do want something that'll last for a while.

PS, I have an iPhone, not an iPod... I haven't read the last link you posted yet but I hope as long as you have an iSomething then you can do it...!

PPS, what's the deal with Mac Book Air? It's thin, but why else is it worth the extra £300 odd than a regular one? Also I do like the one in the link you're getting ;)

Memory wise the MacBook I'm getting has got 2GB RAM and is upgradeable to 4GB, my 20" iMac which is more or less a glorified laptop has got 2GB RAM and that has served me well, I use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Quark, Football Manager and it has coped fine. So unless you're going to be running multiple programs at once 2GB should be sufficient.

Regarding storage, the hard drive capacities range from 120GB all the way up to 320GB, which I reckon is plenty big enough, it would be worth investing in an external hard drive though for backing up.

The build quality and stability of the operating system means that Apple laptops tend to last for a long time, I'm still using a iBook which is getting on for 4 years old, the only thing that's gone is the battery life but I think that's the same with all laptops and replacement batteries are available on eBay.

The MacBook Air is a nice bit of kit, but you are paying a premium for the design. You also have to purchase the disc drive separately which is a bit of a draw back and it's got a lack of connectivity.

You could use a program like iPod Rip to transfer your music files off your iPhone, I don't imagine there'd be a problem going Windows to Mac unless you've got some DRM'd music on there.

Also the entire Microsoft Office suite is available for Mac, they also have their own versions in iWork '09.

Thanks again for your advice SW, I've been having a look round the Apple site and got my heart set on the aluminium 13-inch MacBook. Think I'll stick with the 2GB, no doubt they'll try to persuade me to go for the 4GB, but well see. Rather pay £150 [think thats what the website quoted] odd more and get double the memory rather than too little.

Ahh shopping, it eases the pain that CFC are determine to give me.

• 1 month later...

Im coming to this thread way late, but I have to agree with everything SW said about macs. Absolutely brilliant machines, and mine is the best "toy" I think I have ever had in my life. I have had it about 2 years, and though I basically just use my macbook as a library for my music, to browse the web, and to store my personal pictures, I have never once had a problem with it. I hate to be one of those people DKW is talking about, but for the casual computer user, it is just a superior machine in so many ways.

Although I will say that I have the old white plastic model, and I am very jealous of people like Gem with the new titanium model :P Im current trying to get my parents to buy the 24 inch desktop (without much success) which, if anyone has seen it in person, is like sitting in front of a home theatre

(belated mac boosting over)

I don't know how I missed this thread earlier on. When it was started I was in the process of getting myself a Mac as well. I didn't buy a laptop, though. I've used them before, but it's my first Mac that I've owned and I've been very pleased with it. I don't mind using PC(my laptop is a PC), but I wanted Final Cut Pro, so I didn't really have a choice. Safari is ok, but I'm so used to browsing the net with Firefox, so I downloaded it.

By the way...what file compressor do you guys prefer? I wouldn't need a separate compressor for most of the stuff that I do, but sometimes I bump into files that have been compressed with Stuffit, but I don't want to get Stuffit because I've heard that it's a bit dodgy. Any suggestions?

By the way...what file compressor do you guys prefer? I wouldn't need a separate compressor for most of the stuff that I do, but sometimes I bump into files that have been compressed with Stuffit, but I don't want to get Stuffit because I've heard that it's a bit dodgy. Any suggestions?

I've never had any problems with Stuffit, but you could always try The Unarchiver, it looks like it support loads of formats. I found it on this website: Open Source Mac which has got some nice free software on it.

Also if you don't like the Safari browser, I'm not a big fan, allow me to recommend Camino it's like Firefox (it's made by the same people) but it's Mac centric and it's the business.

Have you seen Safari 4 yet? It's still a beta but seems very stable for all that. New features include "Top Sites", no doubt inspired by Opera's Speed Dial, and a New Tab button at the top right hand corner. The tab bar itself is now at the top and is unmoveable as far as I can tell.

They've added a couple of drop down lists, also on the top right, which makes what limited customisation there is easier to access. Bookmark handling could be better, but other than that, it's a nice fast browser.

Safari 4 Public Beta

I've been using google chrome recently, which I like very much. It is faster than Internet Explorer, and when you open a new tab, or window the homepage can be set to be a list of the top 9 sites you visit. Also when you begin to type a URL is autofinishes and you can press Enter to go to that site. My only complaint is you are unable to use the middle click button to scroll.

• 2 months later...
I've only ever had Windows/Microsoft PCs and laptops, and I'm thinking about buying a new one, but I also want a change so was considering buying a Mac. Has anyone else had both? If so, which do you prefer? Any major pros or cons when comparing the two? I've never had any problems with Microsoft, but I do want a change. Really, I want to downsize and get something a bit smaller and more mobile.

Got a couple of months to save up, so I want to make sure I get the right one.

What I use my laptop for:

Internet

Downloading Music

... Not much else.

Also, is there a way I can transfer my iTunes from computer to computer? I've got 3000+ songs on my laptop & I don't want to have to put them all on again.

Hey, I work in I.T... I'm no master, but I got a sony laptop for £400 of play.com and it's amazing. I love it.. Does the lot, works perfect and for internet and stuff its got a good wireless card.

Get one!

Hey, I work in I.T... I'm no master, but I got a sony laptop for £400 of play.com and it's amazing. I love it.. Does the lot, works perfect and for internet and stuff its got a good wireless card.

Get one!

She already bought a Mac...in February. ;)

Archived