Finally got round to watching Dark Knight

dkw

watched it on the weekend and was very dissapointed. ledger aside i thought the acting was pretty rubbish, the story was fairly ignored to highlight the cinematography and dark atmosphere and there were loads of plot holes and missing story lines. after hearing loads of people rave on about it i was expecting it to be a hell of a lot better than it was.

I thought it was good but far from great. I certainly think it has been overhyped by the media and that was largely due to Ledger's death. It certainly took the Joker's character in the right direction and was a much better than the one portrayed by Nicholson but I do tend to agree with a lot of dkw's criticisms of the film.

All in all I think people are maybe looking for too much out of some super hero films. Comic book heroes are great but I think the films sometimes suffer because people are looking for too much out of them. They should be enjoyed for what they are and nevermind trying to be too clever about 'the darker emotions' of the character etc etc.

I thought it was good but far from great. I certainly think it has been overhyped by the media and that was largely due to Ledger's death. It certainly took the Joker's character in the right direction and was a much better than the one portrayed by Nicholson but I do tend to agree with a lot of dkw's criticisms of the film.

All in all I think people are maybe looking for too much out of some super hero films. Comic book heroes are great but I think the films sometimes suffer because people are looking for too much out of them. They should be enjoyed for what they are and nevermind trying to be too clever about 'the darker emotions' of the character etc etc.

i agree about expecting too much from comic book heroes, but in this case the director actually said he was aiming to get awy from the comic book character and go for a much more involving and adult theme, which i think he missed by miles. one of the most enjoyable films ive seen lately was hellboy 2, so its not like ive anything against this kind of film, if anything i actively look for them and usually enjoy them. i just feel the way they wanted to go with dark knight was too confused, it was neither comic book hero all action or adult and involving. ah well, im sure they will get the next one right.... ;)

It was a batman movie. I'm not exactly sure what people expected. It was fun, silly and a bit too long.

i suppose this was my problem. i read into the hype about it being much more than just a batman film, about the story line bein much more involving etc... i broke my own rule of never believing the hype.

Nothing to be ashamed of talking up Hellboy dkw - now they are top comic book hero films! A super hero who drinks and smokes and all pulled together by a master film maker - pass me the popcorn!

Nothing to be ashamed of talking up Hellboy dkw - now they are top comic book hero films! A super hero who drinks and smokes and all pulled together by a master film maker - pass me the popcorn!

very good films, and pretty faithfull to the comic books too, thankfully. i was very excited when i heard they were making filsm of them, and even more excited when i heard who was making them. Guillermo del Toro is a magnificent director, and the casting for the film was pretty much perfect.

ruh buh ruh i was wondering the same thing. what the hell was all that grunting about? was doing my head in.

Yes they are. The first film is going to be the story of the Hobbit and the second is, as you say, going to bridge the gap between the HObbit and LOTR. The second one is going to base some of the story line on some of the references provided in LOTR but most of it is going to be made up. Must admit the idea of the seocnd film bothers me a bit but it is safe to say I will be going to see it.

Yes they are. The first film is going to be the story of the Hobbit and the second is, as you say, going to bridge the gap between the HObbit and LOTR. The second one is going to base some of the story line on some of the references provided in LOTR but most of it is going to be made up. Must admit the idea of the seocnd film bothers me a bit but it is safe to say I will be going to see it.

i presume the second one will be based on the silmarillion? if there wanting to pad the story out then i hope so, rather than just making it up. very excited about the hobbit film, though i wasnt too bothered about the LOTR films for some reason.

Which is why The Hobbit is going to be superb, and I am prepared to bet yorkley blue's life on that

My life is getting betted on with regard to some kids film that's coming out soon-ish and may or may not be faithful to the comic book it's based on? Just how many of these Narnia books are therem anyway?

I haven't felt this used since just before Christmas when I was bribed to sit through Happy Feet with the (ultimately unfulfilled) promise of umm, err, gratification!

i presume the second one will be based on the silmarillion? if there wanting to pad the story out then i hope so, rather than just making it up. very excited about the hobbit film, though i wasnt too bothered about the LOTR films for some reason.

Pretty likely that it will at least partially be based on the final part of The silmarillion but I am pretty sure I read an interview with Del Toro in which he said a lot of it would be made up

My life is getting betted on with regard to some kids film that's coming out soon-ish and may or may not be faithful to the comic book it's based on? Just how many of these Narnia books are therem anyway?

I haven't felt this used since just before Christmas when I was bribed to sit through Happy Feet with the (ultimately unfulfilled) promise of umm, err, gratification!

Aslan meets Sauron! This I have to see!

The nearest comic book film I've seen that's out soon is Watchmen, and that's not really a kids film, as my local cinema has it rated as an 18 already...

Archived