So who do we sign in January?

abramovich

As we all know, Chelsea have just asked for a suspension of FIFA's transfer ban until the decision on our appeal is reached, which should enable us to sign players during the January transfer window. Since the final decision could go either way that could be our only chance to sign re-enforcements in the near future.

The club still possesses a deep squad with plenty of quality but I believe the average age, especially among our key players and lack of speed and creativity in certain areas should not be overlooked. We haven't spent much since summer of 2006 and while it helps to keep the core of the squad the same, there is a definite need to bring young talent into the team. This squad hasn't much mileage left in it past maybe next season so we better start making moves now.

I'm not suggesting splashing a fortune and we're probably past that kind of spending anyway but if there were players we targeted and decided not to go after for one reason or another the potential transfer ban surely made us revise some of those plans.

I'm not saying we shouldn't give our youngsters a chance , simply pondering over who's out there that can potentially make us a better team.

So who do we need to look at and what positions need to be strengthened?

Need a quality def mid on loan probably . Mikel and Essien both out in Jan . Belletti can play there , never seen Mitrovic play so will reserve my judgement . Surely not a Mineriro . Wont mind Viera on loan but would prefer someone who doesnt have arse links .

The way we played yesterday, I dont think we need anyone. But keeping in mind the potential transfer ban, I'd want us to try for Aguero again. Atletico have been pants this season and there is a good chance they wont be fighting for anything come January.

Need a quality def mid on loan probably . Mikel and Essien both out in Jan . Belletti can play there , never seen Mitrovic play so will reserve my judgement . Surely not a Mineriro . Wont mind Viera on loan but would prefer someone who doesnt have arse links .

Matic, Ballack and Belletti can all play there, I think we'll be okay.

The only type of player I think we should be looking at is an attacking midfielder, because Deco won't last much longer. Someone like Van Der Vaart would do nicely IMO.

I'm pretty sure Marko Mitrovic is a striker from our youth setup, plus he's too young even for our reserves team. You probably meant Matic.

When Athletico fail to make the knockout round of the CL Aguero might me more inclined to come to us as all he will have to look forward to in their season will be a relegation battle. Sure he will be cup tied but it would be great to get him into our squad. Pato has also impressed me with his performance against roma and madrid.

Anyone seem much of that napoli youngster Hamsik? Midfielder with a great goal ratio, would probably be able to play CAM and already has enough quality to be playing for us regularly.

Defensive mid is certainly not somewhere we need. I think if Aguerro is out of the CL by that time then we could take a look at him. But I'm not overly sure we need anyone. having said that, we might snap up a couple of big players, and then a few other youngsters for the next couple of seasons

Personally i don't think we need anyone at all, not now that is but i defaintly think we need someone for next season. Aguero is certaintly not needed since Anelka and Drogba are doing more than enough as a pair. We are also tieing down new contracts for players, like Kalou... bringing in another striker would make that new contract a bit pointless wouldn't it?

I find it surprising that we actually want players in January, do we feel that want players to cover us for the next 2 windows? If so i get the feeling we are going to fail with our appeal.

The only real option in my opinion is the tip of the diamond, if Deco doesn't perform too a higher standard maybe that position will be looked at.

David Silva to play the tip of the diamond, Aguero to play up top with Drogba... while we're at it, De Rossi to replace Mikel at the base of the diamond.... A team lining up with this, would be hard to stop (on Football Manager :P ).

Cech

Bosingwa Alex Terry Cole

De Rossi

Essien Lampard

Silva

Aguero Drogba

Personally i don't think we need anyone at all, not now that is but i defaintly think we need someone for next season. Aguero is certaintly not needed since Anelka and Drogba are doing more than enough as a pair. We are also tieing down new contracts for players, like Kalou... bringing in another striker would make that new contract a bit pointless wouldn't it?

I find it surprising that we actually want players in January, do we feel that want players to cover us for the next 2 windows? If so i get the feeling we are going to fail with our appeal.

The only real option in my opinion is the tip of the diamond, if Deco doesn't perform too a higher standard maybe that position will be looked at.

If this appeal fails and we can only sign people in January then we will need another striker for future seasons. I agree with the fact that we have tied up so many players that we do not need too many players but we definitely need to get some youth players coming through.

So you're saying we don't need anybody for now but definitely need new players for next season? The whole point of this thread is that we need to get players in January because otherwise we're stuck with the same squad until 2011 if decision goes against us.

Tying our current players to longer term contracts has obviously something to do with the threat of the transfer ban hanging over our heads but it doesn't mean we shouldn't bring new players in. Getting a player to sign an extension also means we'd be able to sell him later should we want to, instead of letting him go for free once his contract is up.

So you're saying we don't need anybody for now but definitely need new players for next season? The whole point of this thread is that we need to get players in January because otherwise we're stuck with the same squad until 2011 if decision goes against us.

Tying our current players to longer term contracts has obviously something to do with the threat of the transfer ban hanging over our heads but it doesn't mean we shouldn't bring new players in. Getting a player to sign an extension also means we'd be able to sell him later should we want to, instead of letting him go for free once his contract is up.

I think this is absolutely 100% spot on and certainly the reason why players such as Mikel, Malouda and Kalou were given extensions.

I agree with whoever it was that said that us applying for this freeze is a worry, after all if we were that confident of getting the ban reduced or even removed i just dont see why we wouldve done it.

Furthermore, the world and his wife now know that in Jan we will be looking to spend spend spend and suddenly players prices and wages go up by 20%!

So who do we need ? Well we have to look at the big picture and the short term. Right now i think we all agree that we need a quick, young attacking player with some skill and ability. Long term , bearing in mind there is now a chance we may not be able to buy until Summer 2011, its hard to know where to start if you look at what age some of our players will be then.

Either way my money is on the club buying an ageing midfielder and a right back!

He'd be cup-tied but I'd like us to snap up Dzagoev sooner rather than later, he's got a couple UCL goals already this season and looks like a promising AMF.

Agreed.

I thought he looked lively against the Mancs this week, and he seems to be an intelligent player. He's only 19, and would be the ideal successor to Lamps IMO.

The widespread expectation along Fleet Street is that Chelsea will launch a spending spree in January after lodging an appeal against their two-window transfer ban.

Let's put three extracts in order for a moment to make proper sense of it all.

First, The Independent: 'Chelsea should be back in the transfer market in January after Fifa conceded that it is virtually powerless to prevent the suspension of the club's transfer ban while they await the result of the appeal against the judgement at the Court of Arbitration in Sport in Switzerland.'

Now, The Daily Mail: 'Originally, Chelsea had thought it more prudent to miss out on the January window in the hope a positive outcome at CAS that would allow them to trade in the summer. But the prospect of losing Didier Drogba, Michael Essien, Salomon Kalou and John Mikel Obi during the Africa Cup of Nations appears to have convinced them Ancelotti needs to bring in players sooner.'

And finally, The Times: 'Chelsea will learn whether the CAS will grant their request at the start of next month and history is on their side. In the two most recent cases of this kind, the CAS lifted the embargoes imposed on Sion and Roma to enable them to sign players while their appeals were continuing.'

So expect some heavy spending in January then.

The Times says that Carlo Ancelotti's priority will be signing another forward and reckons that 'David Villa is one of few world-class goalscorers who could play in the Champions League because Valencia did not qualify for this season's competition. Emile Heskey would be a cheaper alternative capable of filling in for Drogba, although the England striker may be concerned about a lack of first-team football after the Africans' return. He has already expressed his frustration at failing to win a regular place in the Aston Villa line-up.

'Ancelotti would also like to sign a central midfield player, with Daniele De Rossi, of Roma, one possible option. The club have also been monitoring the performances of Adam Johnson, the Middlesbrough winger.'

The Indy, on the other hand, lists Heskey, Ipswich youngster Connor Wickham and Vasco da Gama's Alex Teixeira as potential targets.

source:www.football365.com

Archived