Rodwell a target?

High Street Ken
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

I've read a couple of stories relating to him. I first heard last night he was subject of a refused £14m bid from us, and today it seems we'll be battling Man Utd for him for £20m. I'm not sure how much I believe either. But he is a fantastic young player, and I would like to see him play for us.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...ll-1820447.html

He is a decent player with potential. But not enough potential to be Chelsea standard IMO. Seems to be one of those players who will end up very good but just not good enough for a top European side.

Edited by BlueDay

He is a fantastic young player with potential to make it to the very top.

Everton will do everything they can to hold onto him but lets face it , he would be mad to join Chelsea at this stage in his career.

Edited by bjd

I think Rodwell has Manc written all over him. He is a tough, versatile grafter, still very young and needs time and development to realize his potential.

I bet he will eventually go for that kind of money, though. And if Moyes is Red Nose's successor, its a lock

Its just putting 2 and 2 together. We're losing two defensive midfielders in Jan so we need cover short term, and he's a great potential so might make the DM role his, long term. Rodwell was in headlines for scoring his first Premiership goal last week. Do the maths.

Its just putting 2 and 2 together. We're losing two defensive midfielders in Jan so we need cover short term, and he's a great potential so might make the DM role his, long term. Rodwell was in headlines for scoring his first Premiership goal last week. Do the maths.

Whose the second defensive midfielder!?

No purchases will be made with the ACN in mind, its a storm in a teapcup and our squad will be more than capable to survive the games that we have to play during that period. I totally agree Rodwell is a good long term prospect in that role , but i would be stunned if he saw his future at Chelsea, let alone Everton being willing to sell for anything else other than a stupid Lescott type price right now.

Edited by bjd

I was talking about Mikel and Essien. And I agree Everton will play hard ball and there is no point shelling out 20m for an 18 year old.

I thought you were, but i disagree that Essien is a holding midfielder where as i simply disagree that Mikel is a player full stop!!

I thought you were, but i disagree that Essien is a holding midfielder where as i simply disagree that Mikel is a player full stop!!

Although I agree with you that Essien is far too accomplished to be classed as a holding midfielder, but in the current setup he is playing as one and with little pressure from Mikel or any other pretenders to that role I think he would continue to play the same position this season at least. Hence my remark.

Although I agree with you that Essien is far too accomplished to be classed as a holding midfielder, but in the current setup he is playing as one and with little pressure from Mikel or any other pretenders to that role I think he would continue to play the same position this season at least. Hence my remark.

I think that long term it would be perfect for us to sign Toulalan from Lyon as he is playing very good for about three seasons at DM.

Interesting player. Good to see us targetting english-born players. We have the best of them at the moment in numbers and in quality so we can proudly be the biggest supplier for team England.

We need to look at players filling in for Lampard and Terry when they are done.

I don't see him playing for us any time soon though. Even if we bought him he has mt.everest to climb with us having the best quality DM's in the business. Essien, Mikel, Ballack and we have just acquired Matic. I don't think we are the team for him at the moment.

I think Rodwell has Manc written all over him. He is a tough, versatile grafter, still very young and needs time and development to realize his potential.

I bet he will eventually go for that kind of money, though. And if Moyes is Red Nose's successor, its a lock

I agree with that.

The question that needs to be considered is "why would he choose to move to Chelsea?".

We currently have no record of promoting young players into the first team, he's from Southport and as far as I know has not connection to Chelsea or London (although I used to know a mad Chelsea fan who lived in Southport so he may have undertaken some missionary work there). The Mancs have a better record, but IMHO he'll be better off staying at Everton and playing first team football in the short term.

I believe that the club have a plan to start moving homegrown players into the first team squad over the next couple of years. I expect Hutchison, Stock, Di Santo, Borini, Bertrand, Cork, Kakuta, ... to get opportunities to prove themselves and I'd like to think that in five years time half the team could be youth team products - afterall that's what Arneson was employed to do. However, as it stands we have no record of "giving youth a chance" (e.g. Daniel Sturridge) so why would Rodwell come here?

The question that needs to be considered is "why would he choose to move to Chelsea?".

We currently have no record of promoting young players into the first team, he's from Southport and as far as I know has not connection to Chelsea or London (although I used to know a mad Chelsea fan who lived in Southport so he may have undertaken some missionary work there). The Mancs have a better record, but IMHO he'll be better off staying at Everton and playing first team football in the short term.

I believe that the club have a plan to start moving homegrown players into the first team squad over the next couple of years. I expect Hutchison, Stock, Di Santo, Borini, Bertrand, Cork, Kakuta, ... to get opportunities to prove themselves and I'd like to think that in five years time half the team could be youth team products - afterall that's what Arneson was employed to do. However, as it stands we have no record of "giving youth a chance" (e.g. Daniel Sturridge) so why would Rodwell come here?

Totally agree and just what i was hinting at earlier. Any kid under 20 looking to develop and mature as a player would be insane to even slightly consider joining us.

Totally agree and just what i was hinting at earlier. Any kid under 20 looking to develop and mature as a player would be insane to even slightly consider joining us.

why exactly do you think that? surely we are possibly in the best position for a young player to come to as our squad is ageing and in need of refreshing.

why exactly do you think that? surely we are possibly in the best position for a young player to come to as our squad is ageing and in need of refreshing.

Well, im just going on our previous record with buying promising young players from others clubs and success stories from our own youth team.

I acknowledge things may be different int he next few years or so because of the ban and the age of our squad but lets face it if you were the father of a kid who had interest from Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea , where would you send him ? Blue loyalties aside of course.

Well, im just going on our previous record with buying promising young players from others clubs and success stories from our own youth team.

I acknowledge things may be different int he next few years or so because of the ban and the age of our squad but lets face it if you were the father of a kid who had interest from Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea , where would you send him ? Blue loyalties aside of course.

i would send him to the club with the best training facilities (chelsea currently), the best chance of winning things (chelsea or utd), the highest wage payers (chelsea or utd), the best chance of playing (any of the 3 to be honest, though chelsea would probably come 3rd). not necessarily in that order of preference, and moving to any top club is always going to be tough for any young player. you could name several who have failed at chelsea but i could also name several at utd and arsenal.

you could name several who have failed at chelsea but i could also name several at utd and arsenal.

You could name several who haven't even been given a chance to fail or succeed at Chelsea. Arsenal's and ManU's youngster may not all make it, but at least they give some sort of chance for their younsgters to prove themselves.

Edited by Maksimov

i would send him to the club with the best training facilities (chelsea currently), the best chance of winning things (chelsea or utd), the highest wage payers (chelsea or utd), the best chance of playing (any of the 3 to be honest, though chelsea would probably come 3rd). not necessarily in that order of preference, and moving to any top club is always going to be tough for any young player. you could name several who have failed at chelsea but i could also name several at utd and arsenal.

Several ? Dont you mean pretty much all of them ?

My choice would be simply which club they would have the best chance of playing matches. Money and trophies at a young age shouldn't be important, if he is given the chance to play and develop then they will surely come in time.

Look at our current squad - how many of those have we taken from other clubs and nurtured or bought through from our own youth system? JT obviously and perhaps you could sort of argue Mikel. You could do the same thing with one of our squads from any time over the past five or six years and you'd get the same results.

Diarra was the one young player we took from another club , brought through, gave games to and who looked really good. We then sold him for a pittance , and he is now playing consistently and more than holding his own in the most expensive team ever put together in the history of football.

Edited by bjd

Several ? Dont you mean pretty much all of them ?

My choice would be simply which club they would have the best chance of playing matches. Money and trophies at a young age shouldn't be important, if he is given the chance to play and develop then they will surely come in time.

Look at our current squad - how many of those have we taken from other clubs and nurtured or bought through from our own youth system? JT obviously and perhaps you could sort of argue Mikel. You could do the same thing with one of our squads from any time over the past five or six years and you'd get the same results.

Diarra was the one young player we took from another club , brought through, gave games to and who looked really good. We then sold him for a pittance , and he is now playing consistently and more than holding his own in the most expensive team ever put together in the history of football.

you mention Diarra but fail to mention how he did at arsenal, which is pretty much identical to what happened with us so hes not really the best example to use. and we were miles behind pretty much every prem club with our youth setup until roman arrived. it was never going to happen overnight, and has hardly been helped by our managerial merry go round. until we get stability and a manger ready to use our youth players we wont know if any of them are good enough, but im fairly sure if we sign a 20 year old for upwards of £15 mill he will get his chance to shine, same as most young players weve signed. they got a chance but were either rubbish (swp, johnson) or unwilling to bide their time and play their way into a first choice position (parker, diarra). the biggest difference at arsenal and utd seems to me to be they are able to bring their players in slowly because the managers have much more stability and time than ours. our managers need to win, and win now. would you be willing to go a couple of trophyless seasons if it meant bedding in our younger players? ill be honest and say i would, but im not so sure the board or the majority of fans would.

the biggest difference at arsenal and utd seems to me to be they are able to bring their players in slowly because the managers have much more stability and time than ours.

That's one of the main reasons why we haven't had any youngsters making their breakthrough into the first team, which is exactly why we don't look like a great place for young players at the moment.