Get Rage Against the Machine Christmas No.1.

Santa

Everyone must of heard of the Facebook group that are trying to get RATM's song to Christmas number one, to stick two fingers up to the whole manufactured pop product of Simon Cowell's X-Factor here in the UK!

Now how good an idea is that!

I am going to download it and think it would be good if members here helped out too.

It costs from just 29p to download and you have until Saturday 19th December at 23:59pm to download it for it to count.

I personally think that (like a lot of things) the count could be fiddled to fit in with the manufactured chart we have and will still see X-Factors Joe hit number one, but we can all try eh?

I have added the forum Amazon link so a minimal amount will come back to the forum, and that version does count (info from the Facebook page and that version is just 29p)

BUY at 29p Download from Amazon - Top one

The next one down for un-explicit is 79p, again that option counts to download.

Jeez, I can't believe how many moaners there are here. Money to Ratm (who Morello has said will donate to a making music charity in the UK) or money to the manufacturing pop market bleeding real artists dry - your choice!

The label makes no significance, Sony will win either way.

Jeez, I can't believe how many moaners there are here. Money to Ratm (who Morello has said will donate to a making music charity in the UK) or money to the manufacturing pop market bleeding real artists dry - your choice!

The label makes no significance, Sony will win either way.

That implies the only choice is to buy one or the other.

Also, I'm the only one who has moaned so far, so you can't believe there's one person against it?

already bought it, 3 times. anything that keeps that garbage peddled by cowell of the top is worth paying for in my opinion. terrible tv show, terrible songs created by an opportunist who has realised the majority of music buying public in this country are taste deficient sheep.

Also, I'm the only one who has moaned so far, so you can't believe there's one person against it?

I can't even believe you are even trying to make an argument out of it?

If you don't want to buy it, don't! Ignore the thread and move on. Close your curtains, lay back and relax to your Michelle Mcmanus album!

Exactly the point! There maybe an alternative to seeing manufactured sh*t at number one at Christmas.

No, you're saying that there are 2 choices and they are Sony or Sony. You're not validating the option of not watching X Factor, not buying either song, or maybe even not getting sucked into a pointless campaign which has probably been set up by Sony themselves.

It's like all these adverts saying how much you can save if you buy such and such a product. You'd save even more money if you bought neither, but apparently that isn't an option worth considering, right? ;)

If you don't want to buy it, don't! Ignore the thread and move on. Close your curtains, lay back and relax to your Michelle Mcmanus album!

You see, you've just repeated what I'm pointing out as ridiculous at the end there. You think that you have to buy either a Sony song or a Sony song. Fantastic.

My curtains are closed just so you know, I'm not going to buy either, because I find the campaign slightly retarded. I came into the thread to point this out and voice my opinion on the matter... if only there was a public space where opinions are voiced... a forum perhaps.

What ever happened to her?

Winning Pop Idol was her dream. Well that's what she said at the time. I'd hazard a guess that she's now got her real dream job. Serving at McDonalds - with unlimited access to Big Macs and After Eight McFlurries!

No, you're saying that there are 2 choices and they are Sony or Sony. You're not validating the option of not watching X Factor, not buying either song, or maybe even not getting sucked into a pointless campaign which has probably been set up by Sony themselves.

It's like all these adverts saying how much you can save if you buy such and such a product. You'd save even more money if you bought neither, but apparently that isn't an option worth considering, right? ;)

You can buy what you want? I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.

You see, you've just repeated what I'm pointing out as ridiculous at the end there. You think that you have to buy either a Sony song or a Sony song. Fantastic.

Again, I am not forcing anyone to do anything?

if only there was a public space where opinions are voiced... a forum perhaps.

Sometimes, unfortunately, that is correct.

You can buy what you want? I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.

Again, I am not forcing anyone to do anything?

Sometimes, unfortunately, that is correct.

I know you're not forcing me into anything, but you're suggesting that there are only 2 options, but anyway, I was just doing some washing up and thought of the perfect analogy to express my opinion on this more fully.

Let's say that there is say 95% VAT on flags, that sounds ridiculous, I know, but it's needed for this to work. Right, so now imagine that every time Britain invades a country, like Afghanistan or Iraq, lots of old biddies, with not much to do, spend some of their money on British flags to show their support for the country, no matter what their actions are like. If they're in the right or not. There's lots of them as well, so it's the item which sells the most every single time. So when Britain invades Afghanistan the people who don't agree with the invasion set up a campaign for people to show their disillusion with the war. They say that everyone should buy a flag of Afghanistan despite 95% of the money going to the people who decided to invade Afghanistan in the first place, but that doesn't matter as it's showing their disillusionment. So then Britain invade Iraq and this time everyone has forgotten about the last campaign which failed so miserably and decide to do exactly the same thing, but of course buying a flag of Iraq. Even though the campaign inevitably fails, and even though 95% of the money goes to the people who started the war they are opposed to, and hey, anyone who doesn't think it's a good idea is obviously in support of the war. I think that's pretty much got my stance on the whole thing.

I know that probably makes me seem a bit mental, but you know... maybe it's my new medication.

I would rather listen to Rage, over pretty much every Pop Factor/Idol/Talent contestant.

I won't be buying it, as I'm out of the country, and my purchase wouldn't really count I don't think? But either way, the Christmas number one is shorthand for 'who has whored themselves out to the industry this holiday season?'

I'd rather Rage win, any day, but I doubt most Rage fans would really care too much for the Christmas number one anyway...

Im all for shoving two fingers up at Simon Cowell but if im honest this Facebook 'campaign' sits a little uneasy with me.

As has already been pointed out RATM were signed to Sony and their back catalogue is owned by Sony BMG, a company Cowell

has thousands of shares in and also run his own record company through.It is therefore not out of the question that Cowell will actually

make some money from this. That'll show him eh ?

More importantly i think the choice of song is somewhat misguided. 'Killing In The Name Of' is a song about racism, more directly about racism that has formed a deep

root in part of the modern American psyche. To use it as a tool to try to stop a kid having a number one record on the basis that there is lots of swearing in it is

somewhat , well, wrong.

Maybe, im taking it all a bit seriously. But part of me thinks its all a little unfair on the kid, he a won a competition and deserves his moment of glory (im no fan of

the xfactor by the way!) But he will be fine - RATM wont make no.1. It wont even be close.

A campaign to nuke all the w**kers who post on facebook 24 hours a day is something i would support however.

Maybe, im taking it all a bit seriously.

yes you are.

A campaign to nuke all the w**kers who post on facebook 24 hours a day is something i would support however.

i agree 100%, in fact ill supply the plutonium if it gets things started.

Im all for shoving two fingers up at Simon Cowell but if im honest this Facebook 'campaign' sits a little uneasy with me.

As has already been pointed out RATM were signed to Sony and their back catalogue is owned by Sony BMG, a company Cowell

has thousands of shares in and also run his own record company through.It is therefore not out of the question that Cowell will actually

make some money from this. That'll show him eh ?

More importantly i think the choice of song is somewhat misguided. 'Killing In The Name Of' is a song about racism, more directly about racism that has formed a deep

root in part of the modern American psyche. To use it as a tool to try to stop a kid having a number one record on the basis that there is lots of swearing in it is

somewhat , well, wrong.

Maybe, im taking it all a bit seriously. But part of me thinks its all a little unfair on the kid, he a won a competition and deserves his moment of glory (im no fan of

the xfactor by the way!) But he will be fine - RATM wont make no.1. It wont even be close.

I take back what i said there. I have heard an interview with RATM and they have put their backing behind the campaign so that makes me feel better in regards to the distortion of the true meaning of the song and more to the point they have said all proceeds from the song will be going to the charity Shelter.

So i have bought it now and i urge others to as well.

People are missing the point of the campaign, it's not about making money for Sony or Simon or even Rage for that matter, the whole protest is against the control of the charts by mass produced media.. and to put REAL music back in the charts. It's defeating the message of the song as an anthem of protest when people say "but it's on the same Sony label as Simon Cowell". For one thing, Simon runs Syco which is owned by Sony, who also own Epic which are affiliated with Rage, neither have a connection with the other so the campaign will not benefit Simon to a huge extent, though it will obviously benefit Sony. All that aside, I for one would rather see a successful punk band with a good, well written, original song be Christmas number 1 than a Miley Cirus cover by a talent show winner. It's of no personal vendetta against the lad but it would just be great in my opinion to get out of the monotony of X-Factor stealing the show 4 years in a row. I've bought the track not only because I'm a huge fan of RATM, the song and the genre, but it's the fact it shows how if people do pull together for something their voices can be heard and I reckon it would be great to have it as the number one single this christmas. One last thing to consider is that the proceeds are going to the Shelter charity so if you weren't gonna buy either, get the RATM single for just 29p on Amazon if anything just for the fact the profits go to charity.

HOW are Rage a sell-out? They're clearly one of the most political and principled bands out there, and have played the same genre of music and written the same type of lyrics for years now!

You don't have to like their style or message, but to claim they are a sell-out strikes me as a bit odd, when there are millions of other bands who are FAR more deserving of that label.

I thought the same Tim, sorry Plock but you have a very strange sense of bands, we went down that road once before.

Joe's CD will be sold by the masses tomorrow before the deadline tomorrow night, so unless there is a huge surge in people downloading RATM, I can't see it happening. If you haven't downloaded it yet (and don't mind Sony) go spend 29p.

Joe's CD will be sold by the masses tomorrow before the deadline tomorrow night, so unless there is a huge surge in people downloading RATM, I can't see it happening.

I doubt this campaign will succeed, but just out of curiosity, how many copies do the Christmas #1 singles usually sell?

Archived