Fifa/FifPro World XI 2010

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Who would be in your final XI?

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2230096,00.html

Six Chelsea players are among 55 nominations announced today for the Fifa/FifPro World XI 2010.

This is separate from the freshly-amalgamated Fifa Ballon d'Or for World Player of the Year for which Didier Drogba is in the running, although the World XI will be unveiled at the same ceremony in Zurich on 10 January.

The Fifa/FifPro World XI is voted for by 50,000 professional footballers belonging to the players' unions across the world. Last year John Terry made the team (pictured).

The Chelsea captain is again among the nominees, as are Petr Cech, Ashley Cole, Michael Essien, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba.

Four defenders, three midfielders, three forwards and a goalkeeper will make the final selection.

The 55-player shortlist is:

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy, Juventus FC), Iker Casillas (Spain, Real Madrid C.F.), Petr Cech (Czech Republic, Chelsea FC), Julio Cesar (Brazil, F.C. Internazionale), Edwin van der Sar (Netherlands, Manchester United FC)

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Brazil, FC Barcelona), Gareth Bale (Wales, Tottenham Hotspur), Michel Bastos (Brazil, Olympique Lyonnais), Ashley Cole (England, Chelsea FC), Patrice Evra (France, Manchester United FC), Rio Ferdinand (England, Manchester United FC), Philipp Lahm (Germany, FC Bayern Munchen), Lucio (Brazil, F.C. Internazionale), Maicon (Brazil, F.C. Internazionale), Marcelo (Brazil, Real Madrid C.F.), Alessandro Nesta (Italy, AC Milan), Pepe (Portugal, Real Madrid C.F.), Gerard Pique (Spain, FC Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Spain, FC Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Spain, Real Madrid C.F.), Walter Samuel (Argentina, F.C. Internazionale), John Terry (England, Chelsea FC), Thiago Silva (Brazil, AC Milan), Nemanja Vidic (Serbia, Manchester United FC), Javier Zanetti (Argentina, F.C. Internazionale)

Midfielders: Esteban Cambiasso (Argentina, F.C. Internazionale), Michael Essien (Ghana, Chelsea FC), Cesc Fabregas (Spain, Arsenal FC), Steven Gerrard (England, Liverpool FC), Andres Iniesta (Spain, FC Barcelona), Ricardo Kaka (Brazil, Real Madrid C.F.), Frank Lampard (England, Chelsea FC), Javier Mascherano (Argentina, FC Barcelona), Thomas Muller (Germany, FC Bayern Munchen), Mesut Ozil (Germany, Real Madrid C.F.), Andrea Pirlo (Italy, AC Milan), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany, FC Bayern Munchen), Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands, F.C. Internazionale), Xabi Alonso (Spain, Real Madrid C.F.), Xavi (Spain, FC Barcelona)

Forwards: Dimitar Berbatov (Bulgaria, Manchester United FC), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast, Chelsea FC), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon, F.C. Internazionale), Diego Forlán (Uruguay, Atletico Madrid), Gonzalo Higuain (Argentina, Real Madrid C.F.), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden, AC Milan), Lionel Messi (Argentina, FC Barcelona), Diego Milito (Argentina, F.C. Internazionale), Arjen Robben (Netherlands, FC Bayern München), Ronaldinho (Brazil, AC Milan), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Real Madrid C.F.), Wayne Rooney (England, Manchester United FC), Carlos Tevez (Argentina, Manchester City FC), Fernando Torres (Spain, Liverpool FC), David Villa (Spain, FC Barcelona)

It's very tough to choose.

I think I'll give it a bit more thought.

I'd argue with some of those nominations (but then you'd expect that, wouldn't you?)

Daniel Alves - arse

Gareth Bale - too soon

Rio Ferdinand - shadow of his former self

Steven Gerrard - seriously over-rated

Dimitar Berbatov - seriously over-rated

Ronaldinho - Sadly past his best

Wayne Rooney - shadow of his former self

Fernando Torres - shadow of his former self, and seriously over-rated, and sadly past his best

I'd say also that Terry has been below par for some time, and Puyol must be over 80 by now, so they are lucky to get in.

From the given list, based on their performances over last season and trying to get a balanced team:

-----------------Cesar

Maicon---Lucio---Pique---Cole

-----------------Xavi

-----Robben---------Sneijder

-Messi--------------------Ronaldo

---------------Drogba

Subs: Cech, Lahm, Zanetti, Iniesta, Lampard, Muller, Villa

Well, I couldn't get a balanced team so it will just have to attack, attack, attack.

Edited by ethicalstrategy
to include Robben

I keep picking a team and then realising I've missed somebody obvious out.

Cesar

Maicon Lucio Pique Cole

Iniesta

Xavi Sneijder

Messi Drogba Ronaldo

I want to find room for Robben but where? It'll change again. Lahm is a good shout at right back, but Maicon's contribution toward Inter Millan's European success just sees him shade it.

I'd argue with some of those nominations (but then you'd expect that, wouldn't you?)

Daniel Alves - arse

Gareth Bale - too soon

Rio Ferdinand - shadow of his former self

Steven Gerrard - seriously over-rated

Dimitar Berbatov - seriously over-rated

Ronaldinho - Sadly past his best

Wayne Rooney - shadow of his former self

Fernando Torres - shadow of his former self, and seriously over-rated, and sadly past his best

I'd say also that Terry has been below par for some time, and Puyol must be over 80 by now, so they are lucky to get in.

You could be onto something there YB. Maybe we could do a 'What the f**k? XI' as well. I particularly liked your analysis of Alves. Couldn't have put it any better myself. I wouldn't say Nesta has exactly had the best year at Milan either. I can only judge what I've seen of him though.

In the physio room you numpty . He spend's 85% of ever season in there ......................

He's been pretty handy when he's been fit though. His goals for Bayern played a big part in them getting to The Champions League final. He also played a part in Holland reaching the World Cup Final, but yeah he is injured most of the time and it's team of the year, not play well when you're fit upto and including July.

The notion that Buffon, Bale, Ferdinand, Nesta, Essien, Kaka, Berbatov or Ronaldinho is on this list is crazy. What did any of these players so to warrant being considered one of the best 11 players in the world for the whole of 2010?

I mean we love Essien but how can he be one of the four best midfielders in the world for the last year? He maybe played in what, 20 games this year?

Cech

Lahm--Lucio--Puyol--Cole

---------------Xavi

---Schweinsteiger---Sneijder

Ronaldo---------------------Messi

-------------Eto'o

In all honesty i'd make a case for Carvalho at centre back, been great for Real this season. The two mentioned will probably be selected based on previous performances. Eto'o been the best and most consistent striker by a country mile IMO. Based on recent performance you could make a case for Bale over cole, however as a lb, Cole is greatly superior, Bale's best position is left wing.

Maicon hasn't been great at all this season, id have even put Ivan there if he had continued last seasons form. Lahm has been pretty consistent.

Predictably the Guardian isn't impressed by the inclusion of JT. The 55-man list of 2010's supposed best players overlooks two Ballon d'Or nominees and yet includes John Terry

The World XI debuted in 2005, and only one player has appeared in the final selection in each of its five outings so far. That man is, statistically, the best player in the entire world over the second half of the last decade. That man is England's brave John Terry. The Chelsea lionheart is shortlisted once again this year, his chances of making the cut for a sixth time basically down to whether the 55,000 polled players were paying attention during his dismal performance against Germany at the World Cup.

And he still won more than Gerrard did.

If you thought that this list was long and full of undistinguished players, imagine the list of players that won more than Gerrard did!

Anyway, my XI

Casillas

Puyol (I'll cheat and use him as a Right Back)

Lucio

Piqué

Cole

Schweinsteiger

Xavi

Sneijder

Messi

Forlan

Ronaldo

Subs: Cesar, Maicon, Silva, Iniesta, Ozil, Eto'o, Drogba

Edited by BigIzz