Chelsea v West Ham Utd (PL) 23/04/11 KO 17:30 BST

coco

Score early and reap the rewards.

KEY STAT

Chelsea have dropped only four points from winning positions this season which is the best in the Barclays Premier League.

Source

No Parker for the spammers.

Will Ramires regain his starting place ?

Will Luiz be dropped for Ivanovic ?

Will Paulo keep his well deserved starting place ?

Same starting XI as Brum.

------------------------Cech

Ferreira-------Luiz----------Terry-------Cole

------------------------Mikel

--------------Essien----------Lampard

----------Kalou-------------------Malouda

----------------------Drogba

Ramires isn't fit to play.

Ivanovic is apparently fatigued so won't play a full 90.

IMO we don't need Mikel for this sort of game, if we#re playing a holding midfielder at home to this pile of sh*t we have to ask ourselves if we really want to win the game?

I'd go with your team Coco except swap Essien for Mikel and then Mikel for Yossi. Malouda and Drogba are on fire atm and with Kalou scoring that goal he deserves a chance.

Bring on Torres, Mikel and Ivanovic later in the game. I wouldn't normally say this, but Anelka may not be that bad to bring on as the Pikey centre backs are not blessed with pace which is something we could exploit.

Hope to see Ramires back soon. Too bad he can't play in this one. Any news on Alex?

Three players I would like to see get some more time is Yossi, Yuri and Torres. But who to take off? Essien and Lampard seem to be getting better so I would not want to disturb that by replacing one or both with Yuri and/or Yossi. And Drogba appears to be happy at the moment, so I wouldn't replace him with Torres. And I would not want to see Torres out wide in a 4-3-3.

It's going to be interesting to see if Carlo will stick with the line-up from last game or if he'll rotate a bit.

Have to say that it feels nice not to see Parker playing. He's a good player who always does well against us.

Hope to see someone give Bridge a rough time. Imagine, he was once at Chelsea and now he's at West Ham. Going downhill very fast for him. Oh, how I enjoy that.

JT seems to be back to making some bonecrunching tackles. Perhaps he can treat Wayne to one :Connie_threaten:

But most importantly in this game, apart from winning of course, is to get Torres that first goal (if he plays). I must admit that seeing us really trying to get him a goal is sometimes quite irritating, but it's for the greater good. If Torres can get back on track scoring goals, then we have a very, very, very lethal weapon for the end of the season.

My view on the team for this one is very much a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it - if we don't have any players coming back from injury then there's no need to change a setup that has worked quite well for the last couple of change. If I remember rightly, Mikel and Ferreira combined quite well to create a goal for Essien the last time we played this lot and I'd be quite happy to see them try it again. I fear that we might see Bosingwa replace Paulo in this one if he's back from his family emergency, which is a shame 'cause he's f**king useless.

Considering their injury issues, squad morale, current form and general disinterest from their players I expect an absolute mauling on the scale of what we saw late season 2010. Carlo should field the same 11 but I'm hoping for Torres to get a good opportunity to restore form.

Now that we're within 6 points of United and, kind of, back in the thick of things, I think Carlo needs to think carefully about how he chooses his team. Clearly, the team that has started the past two matches is clicking into gear, and despite the fact that several stars like Anelka and Torres don't get playing time, I would personally rather Carlo stuck with what is working. There is no time for sentimentality now. The rest will just have to take their chances as they come.

I also think that whenever it is that Ramires returns from injury, Carlo has another important decision to make. Mikel, I personally feel, is an important cog in the Chelsea wheel. When he plays, there is a shield in front of our back four, and our midfield also seems to operate better, despite his passing mostly being sideways and backwards. The fact that the ball is kept moving benefits us overall. When Essien plays in that position, for example, while he is dynamic, he often forces things by running with the ball or forcing passes that are not quite there, and the end product is lost possession. We are a rhythm team, and we need quite a bit of possession to wear teams down. I really believe Mikel helps us do that. So, if it were up to me, Mikel would play for sure, and Carlo would have to choose two from Lampard, Essien and Ramires to accompany him in midfield. My vote would be for Lampard and Ramires.

And please Carlo, please don't bring Torres on for a creative player and expect him to be able to create for himself, or score goals with no creative support from others. At no point should Drogba, Anelka and Torres be on the pitch at the same time. It has not worked once, and it will never work.

Cheers,

Butch

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this

-------------------------Cech---------------------------

Ferreira--------Luiz-------------JT---------Bertrand

-------------------------Mikel----------------------------

---Benayoun------------------------------Lampard--

Kalou-----------------Drogba---------------Malouda

I don't like choosing Subs before the games underway as obviously you could be advocating taking a player off thats playing a blinder or leaving on a player having a mare, assuming all play average games I'd be half planning a Torres for Drogba swap around the hour mark if we're comfortable and if we were behind maybe an Essien for Mikel.

I'd start Benayoun because he could get into the game and get a full 90 under his belt with more chance of being able to supply Fernando if he comes on than if they both come on together.

I'd rest Ash purely because if he took a knock last time I'd imagine as hes played every minute of every game this season he could be fresher for the rest and I'd like another look at Bertrand.

thats interesting

I hope this means that Anchelotti will get the formation right and players on the field. Surely benny should play, and i think its important for mikel to play, could spray the ocassional ball over the top for torres. Weirdly i think kalou should start and not Anelka. I wonder who will play towards the right benny would be a shout.

I think our right mid area is seriously weak and Ramires is a wasted talent playing there. Agree?

I would think that means 4-4-2 then, because he's unlikely to drop Drogba after his good performance in the week. So possibly something along the lines of:

99228_Chelsea.jpg

I'd stick Ivan in ahead of Luiz for this game, because West Ham can be tricky sometimes and we don't want to be gifting them any soft penalties or freekicks, plus they are a more physical side than the likes of Birmingham, so I think it would suit Ivan more.

On a slightly related note I had a dream the other night that Torres scored his first goal for Chelsea, it was a right foot curling effort from the left hand side of the box. So if it happens this weekend I'm psychic.

thats interesting

I hope this means that Anchelotti will get the formation right and players on the field. Surely benny should play, and i think its important for mikel to play, could spray the ocassional ball over the top for torres. Weirdly i think kalou should start and not Anelka. I wonder who will play towards the right benny would be a shout.

I think our right mid area is seriously weak and Ramires is a wasted talent playing there. Agree?

a hundred percent yes but only in a 442 does it look weak in a 4-3-3 it doesnt get exposed

i am so torres biased its untrue and pray he scores but even i dont want him 2 start

if it fails hes gonna jus go worse and worse i think he should jus wait till he nocks some in pre season

I don't agree with starting Torres. This is not the time to experiment with square pegs in round holes.

We should start our winning threesome up front - Malouda, Drogba and Kalou. Then if we score 2 or 3 goals bring on Torres.

With the important upcoming fixtures and drogba's age and his illness before maybe it would be a good time to give him a rest. Got so tough fixtures coming up which drogba will need to be fully fit for. Although west ham wont be easy there defence is poor and could be a good game for torres to get a goal ( if there is the serviceand we dont play like he is drogba but thats another arguement).

I dont think this is a easy game but if we playwell well win because west ham are poor. It is important that the squad is fresh for the up and coming games.

i agree with what your sayin about drogba mike but id sooner him start and come off at half time then bring him on because with drog west ham will sh*t it.. with torres theyll start fancyin havin a go attackin an i really cba with that

i agree with what your sayin about drogba mike but id sooner him start and come off at half time then bring him on because with drog west ham will sh*t it.. with torres theyll start fancyin havin a go attackin an i really cba with that

Not convinced by your logic here - I think having Drogba on the bench gives us a big psychological advantage because the opposing defenders will be bricking it anticipating him coming on when their legs are tired after 60 or 70 minutes of football. And it's not like Torres is a complete waste of space - granted, he hasn't scored yet, but they'd be foolish to take their eye off him because at the end of the day he's still a top quality striker.

I'd start with the team that Chippy suggested before (I'll redraw it here for those that don't remember :P):

----------------------Cech------------------------

Ferreira------Luiz---------Terry-----Bertrand

----------------------Mikel-------------------------

--------Benayoun---------Lampard------------

Kalou--------------Drogba------------Malouda

Having said that, if Carlo has decided that he wants to rest Drogba for the important fixtures to come and give Torres a chance against a relatively weak opponent then I think that could work too - as long as he's willing to let the Drog out if it's still level after an hour or so.

What im sayin is, what happens if they think whayy no drogba f**k it we'll go for it and then they get a couple of lucky goals

i really dont fancy us chasin a game in 2nd half with drogba too come on or not

i think he sometimes tried too hard then.. just wish to be honest we dont make a single change!

What im sayin is, what happens if they think whayy no drogba f**k it we'll go for it and then they get a couple of lucky goals

i really dont fancy us chasin a game in 2nd half with drogba too come on or not

i think he sometimes tried too hard then.. just wish to be honest we dont make a single change!

I guess what I was getting at is why would Drogba not starting encourage them to 'go for it' more than they would have already? It's not like if they found out that JT was going to be missing and there would be a weakness to exploit in our defence. I fully expect them to rock up and park the bus. They may feel that they have more of a chance of keeping a clean sheet with no Drogba, but I don't think it would make them more attacking.

Archived