Too many London clubs in the PL?

Myles_91

If the Pikey's stay up, which at the moment is looking likely then we will have at least 5 other clubs that will view us as a Cup Final. I don't know how much of a problem that will create, generally we have a good record in derbies but IMO a potential 12 derby games (If Millwall join QPR) or 10 minimum is just too much. I don't see how we will be able to compete when Man U for instance, only have Liverpool and City (assuming Leeds are out of it) as major rivals. City for instance only have United and Liverpool only have United.

I've always believed that part of the reasons why northern clubs have historically always had more success is because they are usually one or two club cities at most, meaning they only play one real game of significance a year.

I don't know how most others on here feel about our neighbours but I only give a damn about West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal (in that order). Arsenal now view us as a cup final. I don't know how many others went to the Emirates this season, but I can honestly say that is the only time I've heard it with an atmosphere, the Arsenal fans were really up for it and went mental when they scored.

Most Gooners I know hate Chelsea more than Spurs. As for West Ham, it's similar, I can honestly say over the last 10 years or so, that hatred between the two clubs (moreso them with us) has resurfaced, most Pikey's I know hate Chelsea more than Millwall, as for Spuds that will always be a big game because of the history.

I'm not sure QPR and Fulham fans would feel the same way about the other three as they do with us. I've been to Fulham a few times and every time I've been I've heard anti-Chelsea songs, we all heard the atmosphere at the Cottage this season, it sounded electric, normally Fulham is well known for having the worst home support in the League.

That will all pale into significance when we play QPR, God only knows what we have ever done to them, but they hate us like no other, you only need to see a QPR forum to see this, their hatred of us borders on Old Firm/El Classico, but in contrast we don't give a hoots about them. Still anyone that thinks playing them twice is gonna be easy will be in for a rude awakening, knowing our luck Sky will make it into a midweek 8pm game as well!

We have to accept now that Chelsea is a big fixture for every club, moreso other London clubs, we will have to play twice as well next season and bear this in mind. We may not be Champions in a few weeks time, but teams will still view us as the team they want to beat most, particularly as we have better individual players than United.

I understand the point you're making, but not really anything we can do about it. As I pointed out in another thread regarding Fulham staying up, London derbies mean the lads don't have to travel much. I've only been to London when I was in the UK so I'm not too aware of travel times around the country, but I know at least in the NFL you don't want to be flying from NYC to LA every week if you can help it. Every midtable team and their fans are going to want to beat us, why can't they be in London instead of Birmingham?

I understand the point you're making, but not really anything we can do about it. As I pointed out in another thread regarding Fulham staying up, London derbies mean the lads don't have to travel much. I've only been to London when I was in the UK so I'm not too aware of travel times around the country, but I know at least in the NFL you don't want to be flying from NYC to LA every week if you can help it. Every midtable team and their fans are going to want to beat us, why can't they be in London instead of Birmingham?

I see where you're coming from but living in Birmingham I can honestly say the likes of Villa, WBA, Birmingham and Wolves don't give two hoots about beating us, they expect to lose and anything else is a bonus, they would rather beat each other than us.

As you say nothing we can really do about it, hopefully they won't all be like Spurs and roll over against United every year just to spite us

With the amount of foreign players nowadays the fans are more competive than the players are in terms of derbys, don't think it's a disadvantage playing 10 dervys a season, if were honestly worrying that have to play QPR twice instead of wolves, then we dont deserve to be champions.

I agree with big blue on this one. I'm pretty sure the players nowadays dont see QPR or Fulham as a 'derby' fixture. The days of players coming from the locallity of the club they play for has long gone. It is, of course, a derby for the fans and always will be.

On a personal bias, being based in the midlands I much prefer going to away games that are within easy reach for me. It's a far better crack going to West Brom than West Ham !

With the amount of foreign players nowadays the fans are more competive than the players are in terms of derbys, don't think it's a disadvantage playing 10 dervys a season, if were honestly worrying that have to play QPR twice instead of wolves, then we dont deserve to be champions.

Fully agree, the fact we have to travel less surely makes it a better thing also.

Fully agree, the fact we have to travel less surely makes it a better thing also.

I think the travel ease more than makes up for the supposed derby atmosphere of these games. I would much rather have games close to home than far away, especially given the CL midweek games.