Vintage Blues pictures and film

6 hours ago, erskblue said:

Image result for chelsea 1980s Gordon Davies.

Remember my two Fulham mates gutted when we signed him, one even wrote to Match weekly magazine and had it published, moaning Chelsea had got him on the cheap and another case of a big club bullying a smaller club into selling, to be honest he was pretty hopeless and mainly sat on the bench, was never going to displace  King Kerry, but he did score a very notable hatrick at Goodison against champions Everton in 4-3 win.

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:26, erskblue said:

Our home game v Brentford on Saturday, 23rd Oct 1937 at 3.15pm saw a massive crowd of 56,810 !

I wondered why ?

So did a little research, okay so I looked at a couple of very good Chelsea history sites.:smile:

bounder.friardale and stamfordbridge.com respectively.

We were top of Division 1  on 17 points. Brentford were a single point behind on 16 points and only by goal average from Wolves !

We won 2-1 .  Bambrick 7th and Argue 30th mins, our two goal scorers.

We went to Bolton he following Saturday and drew 5-5 !

Brentford won their game and so went top of Division 1 on goal average from us.

They stayed top until Sat 19th Feb 1938,

They eventually finished 6th, six points behind Arsenal. We finished in 10th place.

I had no idea that Brentford had ever been that good in the top division.

Had a really good mate who was a Brentford fan and he assured me they are the only team to have ever gone from the 4th div to 3rd div to 2nd div to 1st div to 2nd div to 3rd div to 4th div in consecutive seasons. A dubious honour if there ever was one.

33 minutes ago, Andy North said:

Had a really good mate who was a Brentford fan and he assured me they are the only team to have ever gone from the 4th div to 3rd div to 2nd div to 1st div to 2nd div to 3rd div to 4th div in consecutive seasons. A dubious honour if there ever was one.

Wow !

Some honour and some rise and fall !!