Vintage Blues pictures and film

programme cover for Chelsea v Greenock Morton, Monday, 29th Oct 1962 Monday, 29th Oct 1962. And a friendly match at The Bridge v my local side Greenock Morton.,saw a 6 - 1 win for us.

Our scorers: Bridges 3, Shaw, Mulholland, Brown witnessed by 6,492 spectators. My Uncle lived near The Bridge at this time and was at this match.

Interestingly, well to me anyway , We played Morton again, this time at their at Cappielow Park on 19th Nov 1962 and it was a 1-1 draw.

Edited by erskblue

2472.jpg.484061a8d3d4abb8561ce8c5414d11b6.jpg I don’t remember that match but do recognise some less well known names in the team. The 8, Colin Shaw, was a wunderkid goal scorer in youth and reserve football but never made it despite a few appearances in the first team. Knox and Mullholland both came down from E Stirling with Eddie McCreadie,  while Albert (Ruby) Murray played often for the first team but was very much the prototype for Peter Houseman in fans’ eyes. Butler is a total mystery, as is the fact that we’re playing a friendly in the middle of the season!

14 hours ago, OnePeterOsgood said:

2472.jpg.484061a8d3d4abb8561ce8c5414d11b6.jpg I don’t remember that match but do recognise some less well known names in the team. The 8, Colin Shaw, was a wunderkid goal scorer in youth and reserve football but never made it despite a few appearances in the first team. Knox and Mullholland both came down from E Stirling with Eddie McCreadie,  while Albert (Ruby) Murray played often for the first team but was very much the prototype for Peter Houseman in fans’ eyes. Butler is a total mystery, as is the fact that we’re playing a friendly in the middle of the season!

We played a few friendly matches in the middle of the season under Tommy Doc.

Will try and find out the reason for these two friendlies v Morton. Can't think of us buying a Morton player at this time and these two matches being part of the transfer deal .

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

Related image This friendly match was part of the Eddie Mac transfer deal. Eddie McCreadie was bought from East Stirling for £5,000 in April 1962.

We  bought Tommy Knox from the same club a month later, also for £5,000.

.. and Mulholland. Eddie was the only one who was any good!

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

Image result for chelsea v greenock morton 1962I’m pretty sure this is the game we won 7-0 to clinch promotion after the Sunderland game away  (I could look it up but what’s the fun in that?)  I think the first goal was scored by Derek Kevan who had joined us in the twilight of his career to boost our flagging promotion drive.  Kevan  was the first in the line of rubbish strikers we have bought/loaned over the years ending with Higuain! It was a great night under the lights .... no booze - school the next day!

Image result for chelsea v greenock morton 1962  OnePeterOsgood stated; I’m pretty sure this is the game we won 7-0 to clinch promotion after the Sunderland game away  (I could look it up but what’s the fun in that?)  I think the first goal was scored by Derek Kevan who had joined us in the twilight of his career to boost our flagging promotion drive.  Kevan  was the first in the line of rubbish strikers we have bought/loaned over the years ending with Higuain! It was a great night under the lights .... no booze - school the next day!