Unsung hero's

alan'82
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I swear I had a dream the other night and Micky Droy was in it!,mind you, it might have been Bluto from popeye,I guess having a skinfull the evening before clouds the memory.

Thing is, he was won of Chelsea's unsung hero's,(Micky,not Bluto)a guy who's career at CFC never brought the medals that the dedication he showed deserved.

No league winners medals,no F.A. cups no nothing really because unfortunatly for Mick,his career coincided with a bleak period for the club.

Clive Walker and for sheer entertainment during those dark days Petar Borota,(RIP) also spring to mind to name just a couple,players who deserved for one reason or other a taste of the success that was yet to come.

I guess with some thought there must be quite a few more.

Couldn't agree more with Micky Droy, but he was always a bit of a hero at the Bridge. His career fizzled out after years of loyal service, and I hope he's still made welcome at the club. Has he had a half-time presentation to the crowd by Neil Barnett? Definitely overdue if he hasn't.

Clive Walker was a real hero of mine who veered from the ineffectual to the spectacular. I loved the way he kept playing until his early forties, and always looks like a classy, intelligent player in the Masters Football competitions, proving he had a lot more to his game than pace.But like Droy, he was a crowd favourite, and it was a sickener when he was sold and came back to haunt us.

Two other players who were never legends but who I always rated were Mike Fillery and Colin Pates. I mentioned Pates in the 'best captains' thread, as he was an excellent skipper at a time when we started our revival under John Neal. Fillery left us for QPR when he was still young enough to have developed into a top player.

A nice but kind of strange topic as I like to think that all players at Chelsea have been appreciated over the years. I always thought of Mickey Droy as a hero of the fans who were there in those days. There's a great photo somewhere in my folks loft of my mum with Mickey Droy and it's great as she's only 5 foot tall.

If I had to go for an unsung hero I'd plump for Tony Godden. Those penalty stops at Old Trafford are enough for anyone to become a hero. Goalkeepers are often overlooked as they, more than any other player will be remembered for one bad day at the office.

And that brings me to mention Steve Francis. He is an unsung hero as he did a very good job for us in a difficult period. And he was wedged between two iconic keepers in Petar Borota and 'Steady' Eddie Niedzwiecki. It's just a pity that it was him between the sticks that terrible easter after Eddies injury. But he did get a Full Members Cup Medal.

Edited by Snedger

With the possible exception of John Bumstead for John Sparrow, it's difficult to argue with the following side posted by Bluebeard in the Chelsea's (All-time) Under-rated Historic XI thread:

Following on from worldfootballhere's All-Time Historic XI, how about a side made up of players who you thought were unsung heroes, the players who you felt were under-rated due to comparisons with bigger stars in the side at the time?

Here's mine: -

John Phillips

Gary Locke Marvin Hinton Joe McLaughlin John Sparrow

Ian Britton Johnny Boyle Eamonn Bannon Peter Houseman

Tommy Baldwin Kenny Swain

"Six foot two, eyes of blue, Mickey Droy is after you" - no way was Mickey Droy unsung! Point taken about Eamonn Bannon though. And to be fair to myself, I did say it was "difficult to argue" not impossible!

The last time I saw Mickey Droy was when he was playing (captain I think) for Kingstonian in the Isthmian League at Dulwich Hamlet one Boxing Day. I'm sure he scored.

PS. I never like Graham Roberts, a two faced Spud. Didn't his revelations get us in trouble.

Edited by Peckham Blue

I may be wrong here as I moved to the states in 95 before the internet helped me keep in touch with my team as much then; however, Eddie Newton?

Also, I will say Crespo as I always was excited when he played it was just a shame it never worked out for his family in London

Steve Francis

John Sparrow Colin Pates Ken Monkou Gary Locke

Erland Johnnsen

Tiger Houseman John Bumstead

Eddie Newton

Mick Harford Kevin Wilson

Manager John Neal........................................................................................................Suffering in the Shed as always..Me.

Steve Francis

John Sparrow Colin Pates Ken Monkou Gary Locke

Erland Johnnsen

Tiger Houseman John Bumstead

Ray Lewington

Mick Harford Kevin Wilson

Manager John Neal........................................................................................................Suffering in the Shed as always..Me.

In about 1976 I was trying to hitch a lift on the A3 just outside Southampton, when a 3 litre capri stopped for me with the interesting number plate of PO 9. When I opened the passenger's door, I looked into the face of Peter Osgood. He very kindly gave me a lift nearly all the way to South West London, and he was a great bloke to talk to. Unfortunately, the drive was over much too quickly for my liking.

Peter Osgood was a great hero of the fans, but he was certainly an unsung hero as far as chauferring goes.