Mata, in the middle?

Dnkunda

Warm Greetings to all Chelsea Fans,

We have been failing to beat team due failure to open the low defensive lines; hence to break them down, we need to be more creative in the midfield area and use wing play to penetrate their defenses.

I am pretty satisfied with the athletic and muscular midfield we have. But they are more suitable when you're playinmg rapid transitions footbal (prefered during mourinho days). For the passing game being implemented by AVB, we need flair and creativity; hence the name of Juan Mata as my candidate Number one for the number 10 position.

I fail understand why he always kept on the left, he drift inside and leave space for Ashley COle, but that doesn't happen on regular basis.

Stated above, My perfert chelsea 11 would be: 4-2-1-3

1. Goal Keeper: Petr Cech - FOr me He is still the best in the business. Just need to regain his confidence

Centre Half 1: John Terry - That Mr. Chelsea, he epitomises what CHelsea FC is about.

Centre Half 2: Gary Cahill - young and tough tackling defender

Right Back: Ivanovic. That a position we need to reinforce. Bosingwa is just not good enough, for chelsea FC.

Left Back: Ashley Cole. We need proper Back up for him. Patrick Van Holt is very good and can be groomed to take over this role

Midfields: Ramires, he's massive, I can't leave him out... He will sit in front of the defense with a FIT Michael Essien, while Mata Plays Behind the front three. Essien or Ramires can push up to allow more space to Mata

Fron Three: Left inside, we need someone, a true winger with trickery and creativity, We should have recruited Pastore and we missed him. We can try Kalou there. However, I would buy Hulk from porto...

RIght Side: Daniel Sturridge, he has been our best player for this season so far

Centre: Fernando Torres, we juan Mata behind him, i can see scoring many goals. He is an elegant and Classy finisher...

What are your views...

AVB - why doesnt mata play in central midfield.

Happy new year

Daniel K.

The idea of moving Mata has been mentioned on this board countless times and will probably continue to be mentioned until it happens. I think the main reason he's playing on the left right now is not just because he's good there, and he is, it's that AVB doesn't trust Malouda and so had to come up with a side where he could leave him out and the 4-3-3 we have now does that.

I'm not a fan of how you set it up, but there wouldn't be a massive difference to mine I suppose. I'd still have Luiz ahead of Cahill, but in midfield, I'd have Ramires and Romeu, not least because Essien is nowhere near ready to be our first choice anything. Romeu is very good at holding and covering the space, a space which Ramires is good at leaving. When I say Ramires leaves space, it's not in a negative way, it's a very good thing, his bursting runs and all are a great weapon and we need someone who would cover him when he makes them if we were playing a 4-2-3-1.

I don't think Hulk is anywhere near as effective on the left and neither is Sturridge so signing him would be a waste in my view. A Hazard would be lovely, even a Pastore and leave Mata on the left would be great, but that depends on whether the finances are there and who knows. We've been linked to Moutinho again who would play deeper, in the number 8 position, but a deep playmaker in the centre would allow Mata to stay wide. De Bruyne might be an option for the left, but there's a reasonable chance he's not going to be ready for at least a season or two.

The real answer is that we need someone else to come in for Mata to play in the centre and that's why we haven't done that yet. Who that person is, well hopefully time will tell. I'd like Banega to come in and play in the number 8 position in a 4-3-3. I think he'd suit the style and system, either that or the Goetze/Hazard route, but they would cost a significant amount of money.

I seem to really be in a typing mood today. Which does beg the question why I haven't started my assignments...

Mata has a free role already.. He drifts from the left to the right and I prefer it. He would be a lot more predictable if he just played in the hole.

He wouldn't be just stuck in the middle though. Right now, when he moves to the middle there's no one switching with him, so it gets congested and the only pass on to the left is Ashley Cole, and then it goes back from there. If we can get someone like Hazard, then Mata and him can switch roles and whoever is in the middle would have more passing options in theory.

Edited by footballoholic

Agree with Eggy, the reason Mata's not in the middle is because there's no-one else to play on the left (plus he does it quite well.)

I'm also one of those who think the team would be a lot better with Mata in the middle and a lightning-bolt on the left side. I imagine that finding a good left winger is a priority for AVB (at least, I hope it is..)

Edited by wxwax

If we are unable to sign a left winger this Janunary, may we as try Torres out on the left. Look, he's doing just about everything right but scoring right now. Play him as a wide forward, similar to Sturridge, at least he proved he can pass and cross the ball. It's not a perfect solution by a long shot, but it's worth a try, and accomodate all our attacking players in a 4231 formation.

There is no way we should be playing Torres anywhere other than through the middle.

I do like the 4-2-3-1 formation, but it seems as if we're sticking with 4-3-3 for the main part. I think that Hazard would be good, but if we do stay 4-3-3 then were would he fit?

Anyway, not trying to speculate about formations here other than Torres should not be played wide

There is no way we should be playing Torres anywhere other than through the middle.

I do like the 4-2-3-1 formation, but it seems as if we're sticking with 4-3-3 for the main part. I think that Hazard would be good, but if we do stay 4-3-3 then were would he fit?

----------Studge

Hazard ---------- Mata

---Lamps - Ramires

--------Romeu

Warm Greetings to all Chelsea Fans,

We have been failing to beat team due failure to open the low defensive lines; hence to break them down, we need to be more creative in the midfield area and use wing play to penetrate their defenses.

I am pretty satisfied with the athletic and muscular midfield we have. But they are more suitable when you're playinmg rapid transitions footbal (prefered during mourinho days). For the passing game being implemented by AVB, we need flair and creativity; hence the name of Juan Mata as my candidate Number one for the number 10 position.

I fail understand why he always kept on the left, he drift inside and leave space for Ashley COle, but that doesn't happen on regular basis.

Stated above, My perfert chelsea 11 would be: 4-2-1-3

1. Goal Keeper: Petr Cech - FOr me He is still the best in the business. Just need to regain his confidence

Centre Half 1: John Terry - That Mr. Chelsea, he epitomises what CHelsea FC is about.

Centre Half 2: Gary Cahill - young and tough tackling defender

Right Back: Ivanovic. That a position we need to reinforce. Bosingwa is just not good enough, for chelsea FC.

Left Back: Ashley Cole. We need proper Back up for him. Patrick Van Holt is very good and can be groomed to take over this role

Midfields: Ramires, he's massive, I can't leave him out... He will sit in front of the defense with a FIT Michael Essien, while Mata Plays Behind the front three. Essien or Ramires can push up to allow more space to Mata

Fron Three: Left inside, we need someone, a true winger with trickery and creativity, We should have recruited Pastore and we missed him. We can try Kalou there. However, I would buy Hulk from porto...

RIght Side: Daniel Sturridge, he has been our best player for this season so far

Centre: Fernando Torres, we juan Mata behind him, i can see scoring many goals. He is an elegant and Classy finisher...

What are your views...

AVB - why doesnt mata play in central midfield.

Happy new year

Daniel K.

Not sure i agree with all of what your saying, but i am really interested in this Patrick Van Holt guy. Who is he and who does he play for? :)

Is grooming allowed in this day and age?

To be honest I think Mata is struggling being played out of position. He is a natural left-back and the sooner we have him back to fix up our defense, the better.

In all seriousness I don't think Mata needs a permanent change of position; like when Yuri and Malouda were in-form, they provided a dynamic creative option in the centre of midfield. Among recent tactical trends we've seen players like Iniesta, Silva, Ozil, Nasri and now Mata all have success when deployed as a nominal wide forward but actually allowed to drift more central.

That said I absolutely agree with footballaholic that we need a proper winger in the squad to complement Mata and Sturridge. It's all about flexibility and options and having the option to play Mata deeper and more centrally gives us the ability to have more interplay and movement in central midfield. It's a role he plays for the Spain U-21s, where in recent tournaments the wide positions have been occupied by Jeffren, Pedro or Canales and so Mata is quite comfortable playing deeper in midfield- and as we saw on his debut he has a lethal long-range pass on him, just the kind of counter-attacking support Ramires relishes.

Having an orthodox winger- someone speedy who dribbles defenders, stays wide, and can cross (for arguments sake, Krasic)- would really open up new attacking avenues:

------Torres

Mata---------Sturridge

Lampard----Ramires

----------Romeu

can become something like

----------------Torres

Sturridge---------------Krasic

-------------Mata

------Lampard--------Ramires

Allowing creativity with width or playing narrow- which is a tactical option we don't really have at the moment.

I wouldn't even think about fiddling with the positioning of Sturridge SC. At least not in terms of the starting lineup. He is one of the things AVB has gotten to work. Don't weaken a strength to strengthen a weakness as the saying goes.

Top of our list should be a left winger that enjoys dribbling, with good pace, even when the ball is close to his feet. Hazard would be a obvious choice, but I think Hulk with his pace and strength would do great there as well. A player we could get cheap in addition to Hazard or Hulk is Ibrahim afellay, been having trouble with injuries at barcelona and havent had a chance to break into the team because of it.

Hazard/Hulk, Mata, Sturridge, Afellay would be a minimum to cover 3 positions, if we got rid of Kalou (90k week wages lol) and Malouda.

I've been saying for ages Mata should be played in the middle. He's not a natural winger and is best played in the centre. Problem is we don't really have a class left winger, although I think we should try it out with Malouda for a few games. See how it goes.

Oh and for people saying Sturridge should be in the centre I don't think so. I don't think he's good enough to be honest (yes I know he's our top scorer) but he is better as a winger. He's fast, can take a man on and likes to cut inside. I think he's class at right wing. Keep him there.

Edited by tremberz90