Chei(c)k Tioté

Davey Baby

Not really sure of the spelling.

The Sunday Times today, on the front page of their sports section, say Utd are preparing a £20m bid. They also say they face competition from us and Arsenal.

Whenever I have seen this player he has impressed me loads. Not sure if he's what we need, but we can't pin our hopes on Essien, Romeu may be going back to Barca, and Mikel isn't good enough (IMO).

This guy is a great player I have no doubt about that. He deserves to be playing for a top club. He is powerful, strong, athletic. He has presence and he is good on the ball.

25 years old, a good age.

Of all the players I have seen in the Prem, who are realistic targets, this is the guy I would like the most. We need to win our midfield battles, as we used to.

Sure, we could do with a bit of guile, but we could also do with a bit of steel, and we could start stamping our authority on other sides.

We will be hearing more and more of this guy, whoever he plays for.

Who can help me raise 20 mil?

though I have been impressed with him, I have reservations about his first touch and his passing.

personally I think mikel is a good player. at least good enough to be a squad player. if romeu left it would be a mistake to have two players in the same position who could be off to the african cup of nations every other year.

Tiote is a class act, however he seems very happy at newcastle and signed a super long term deal there halfway through last season. Also with the emergence of Romeu probably not the most necessary signing to make. Saw someone suggested Mascherano, that is very unlikely, and i cant stand the prick now but he would be a great addition to our team. However would never happen

Would rather have his pal Cabaye I think. How the hell did Newcastle get him for £5m?

Cabaye's name was thrown around with Arsenal and the usual suspects for many years when he was younger. I guess it's one of those stories where a kid with huge potential misses a chance at a Champions League club through circumstance and a slightly weaker club benefits. Newcastle have signed a bunch of these sorts of players- Ba, Cabaye, Obertan and Ben Arfa were all pretty hyped up when they were younger but somehow fell through the cracks. Ba however is the only one I think that would be a consistent threat at a Champions' League level.

I don't think Tiote would be a good signing. I think Newcastle is his level. He is a great, combative and determined midfield but his passing and attacking game is pretty poor and we don't need more of that in a squad already struggling in that aspect.

Cabaye's name was thrown around with Arsenal and the usual suspects for many years when he was younger. I guess it's one of those stories where a kid with huge potential misses a chance at a Champions League club through circumstance and a slightly weaker club benefits. Newcastle have signed a bunch of these sorts of players- Ba, Cabaye, Obertan and Ben Arfa were all pretty hyped up when they were younger but somehow fell through the cracks. Ba however is the only one I think that would be a consistent threat at a Champions' League level.

I don't think Tiote would be a good signing. I think Newcastle is his level. He is a great, combative and determined midfield but his passing and attacking game is pretty poor and we don't need more of that in a squad already struggling in that aspect.

Agreed about Tiote. He looks good in that Newcastle midfield breaking up play, but the flaws you point out would stand out in a better team.

I'd add Santon to that list. Seemed not so long ago that he was starting in the champions league for Inter and keeping the likes of Ronaldo quiet.

• 4 months later...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-want-arsenals-theo-walcott-860797

Both the Mail and the Mirror are saying we want Tiote. I have said in the past that he is the player I would most want to get, in terms of who is already playing in the Prem and who is realistic. He is the real deal, an exceptional player and exactly what Man Utd need. The Mail are saying Utd want him but have been quoted £20m and they're not happy. Though I'm not a huge fan of Mikel (to put it mildly) there is no doubt he excelled towards the end of last season so it would be a bit harsh if we signed Tiote, also it would probably harm Romeu's chances, so in summary we should probably steer clear. Good player though. Good f**king player.

The only thing Tiote is better at is his long range shots. Defensively, I can't for the life of me say who's better. Don't think we need him. There seem to be a lot of rumours on CMs/DMs and I am not convinced we need a player at either of the positions. I think it is just paper talk.

Guest Sindre

No thank you. Where would he play?

He is not taking Mikel`s spot and Mikel needs to be paired up with a passer. Lampard or De Bruyne of the lads we have now. Decent player but nothing special and he would not be a part of our best team.