Modern but 'old style' players.

alan'82

Looking at the clips in the vintage section of this site,even though I never saw them play 'live',when I look at the quality & fitness of those old time players, I soon realise without a doubt, that players such as Ossie,Hollins,Tambling,Bonetti,Dempsy,Webb,Harris & so many more, would absolutely p*ss this modern Premier League.

Honestly,there are so many players from this clubs great history (& I guess a few other clubs),that would grace the EPL nowdays.

Thing is though,how many of todays Chelsea (or other clubs) players do you think would manage to thrive back then?.

In those days the pitches were more mud than grass,the footballs were made of real leather & only carpet fitters rolled around the floor!.

The playing surfaces,medical support,the gear, everything apart from the refs is so much better now than then,(although the half time burgers are still sh*t!).

Being honest,how many of todays modern 'stars' can you name, (& maybe those of the 'reccent' past),do you think would still be able to have 'made it' back then??.

You've listed some of the differences in the game between then and now and it's those that make this an impossible question. Those old players that you mentioned as being able to grace the EPL, could they really? The game is so much quicker now and players are so much more skilful on the ball.

But interesting question, I think anyone that we consider truly great, a stand out of our time could possibly transfer those skills. So for me; JT, Lamps, Zola, Ruddi and for heart and determination I'd suggest Wisey.

You've listed some of the differences in the game between then and now and it's those that make this an impossible question. Those old players that you mentioned as being able to grace the EPL, could they really? The game is so much quicker now and players are so much more skilful on the ball.

But interesting question, I think anyone that we consider truly great, a stand out of our time could possibly transfer those skills. So for me; JT, Lamps, Zola, Ruddi and for heart and determination I'd suggest Wisey.

In some ways the parameters of the game have changed so much that it is impossible to compare modern football to the "vintage" era.

The trend towards fitness, professionalism (full-time training) and athletic conditioning since the mid-90s has radically altered football. The average professional player is of an athletic standard light years better than players from previous eras by any measurable standard, a trend that is common to all sports.

As a rule I think that players from previous eras would struggle to shine in the modern game, with the tempo and the intensity of the game much, much higher. Then you have rule changes, and crucially the massive change in the weight of the ball. Heavy balls were much harder to kick and shoot with, but at the same time the new balls are much harder to control and manipulate with any sort of dexterity. The trend to minimal or seamless balls increases the Magnus effect, an aerodynamic effect responsible for the curl and dip we see in the modern game. It takes a lot of skill and work to learn to control and deliberately use that skill, and a player used to training with a low-bouncing, low-swerving ball would find it very hard to adapt.

That's not to deny vintage players their talent, however. There is an innateness about athletic talent and it's clear to all that these guys had it in spades. If they were trained in modern training and with modern equipment, they would probably reach a similar level of achievement.

I disagree about the fitness of the older players in comparison to the modern day footballer. Impossible to prove definitively but my guess would be that footballers from yesteryear wouldn't have a hope in hell of competing with the modern day player from the perspective of stamina. The whole attitude to diets, booze, training, and all round professionalism is far enhanced now.

I disagree about the fitness of the older players in comparison to the modern day footballer. Impossible to prove definitively but my guess would be that footballers from yesteryear wouldn't have a hope in hell of competing with the modern day player from the perspective of stamina. The whole attitude to diets, booze, training, and all round professionalism is far enhanced now.

That's a good point you've made about stamina Loz,but the game today lasts just as long as it did back then!.

Thing is,I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the question of stamina only really becomes an issue as players hit their thirties,but again,I don't really know!.

Another couple of things to bear in mind is that squad sizes were generally smaller back then,so there were less players to choose from, plus with only

one sub allowed in games, players more often than not completed the full 90mins.

When you watch those 'vintage' clips I'm amazed at how hard some of the tackles are with no interuptions from the officials,yet those guys just seam to 'get on with it'.

I think booze is still a problem in the modern game,with players having punch ups & falling out of nightclubs sh*tfaced on a regular basis,look at some of the arse's players during Wengers early to mid (& sucsessfull days) at Highbury.

Like some of the England players (Gasgoine,Sherigham, & co),players like Merson,Adams & Parlour were well know for their fondness of a good 'booze-up' & they seamed to mamage o.k.!

I think a few players from back then could make ten minute sub appearance (Charlie Cooke, George Best, ) maybe still get past a man with trickery but the fitness levels now are far greater and Footballers are much more like atheletes than they were in those days.

I wouldn't like to imagine how Players that hit the ball like Peter lorimer or even John Hollins would get on with the Baloons tha pass for Balls nowadays, I remember if you caught one of the old ones in the rain, on the volley too far down your instep it almost pulled your shinbone out.

Someone (Bluebeard maybe) posted on here a time ago about match day build up back then, must be in the quotes somewhere as its one of the best we've had...something about having a beer and a full english before the game, it went on and on and was classic.

Zola post made me think there is one major tactical trend that would,actually benefit the old school.

The modern game is s increasingly skewed towards passing, moving and pressing, and dribbling is being taken out and discouraged at development level all around the world. Yet a player with the ability to dribble, beat players and protect the ball, like old school wingers, is very effective against this tactical trend.