Football Chants (Chelsea) - Who started them?

Myles_91

I have read a bit about Greenaway in the past and how influential he was at Chelsea games in getting chants going but I've always wondered which chant of who?

For instance as far as I know (correct me If I'm wrong):

YNWA - Stolen by Liverpool off Celtic

Glory Glory - Stolen by Man Utd off Spurs

Oh when the Saints - Stolen by Spurs off Southampton

And then you get chants like "Over the Land and Sea (and Leicester)" which is sung by our fans but clearly stolen by Arsenal fans who even keep the Leicester part despite having no reason to.

Then you get all sorts of other chants like "Who's that team they call the Chelsea?" sung by Arsenal and Tottenham etc only subbed with their names in it.

Chelsea seem like one of few clubs with our own unique songs but maybe it's just me? :317:

Arsenal's "Who's that team they call the..." is w**k, they just copy ours and make it worse;

"Who's that team they call the Arsenal, who's that team we all adore, we're the boys in red and white and we'll fight with all our might and we're out to show the world the way to scoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore" and that's it.

Arsenal's "Who's that team they call the..." is w**k, they just copy ours and make it worse;

"Who's that team they call the Arsenal, who's that team we all adore, we're the boys in red and white and we'll fight with all our might and we're out to show the world the way to scoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore" and that's it.

Same with "The sh*t (formely famous) from Tottenham Hotspur went to Rome to see the Pope" which Arsenal nicked and changed to "w**ky" or something like that.

Same with "The sh*t (formely famous) from Tottenham Hotspur went to Rome to see the Pope" which Arsenal nicked and changed to "w**ky" or something like that.

That was actually a Rangers song, singing about Septic. When you think of it, it makes sense - what would the y*ds be doing going to Rome to see the pope? :wink:

I have read a bit about Greenaway in the past and how influential he was at Chelsea games in getting chants going but I've always wondered which chant of who?

For instance as far as I know (correct me If I'm wrong):

YNWA - Stolen by Liverpool off Celtic

Glory Glory - Stolen by Man Utd off Spurs

Oh when the Saints - Stolen by Spurs off Southampton

And then you get chants like "Over the Land and Sea (and Leicester)" which is sung by our fans but clearly stolen by Arsenal fans who even keep the Leicester part despite having no reason to.

Then you get all sorts of other chants like "Who's that team they call the Chelsea?" sung by Arsenal and Tottenham etc only subbed with their names in it.

Chelsea seem like one of few clubs with our own unique songs but maybe it's just me? :317:

What is our reason to say Leicester? I thought it was kind of random and didn't really mean much. I don't think Celtic really think they started YNWA either.

Ive heard 2 different stories behind it. One was in Rick Glanvill`s book (which anyone who hasnt read should immediately go out and buy) that says Micky greenaway picked up the cassette version of a song called "Ask old brown" which had the celery lyric in it during a Chelsea tour of Sweden in 1981 and supposedly he played it over and over and therefore the song Celery as we know it today was born.

The other is that during an away game to Gillingham ( I think) the fans were directed away from the ground and the quickest way to get back was through an allotment where various vegetables were "found" and taken to the ground, celery being one. They were then thrown onto the pitch which became a tradition and a song was born around it. Although a twist to that rumour is it might have actually been the Gillingham fans throwing the celery.

That was actually a Rangers song, singing about Septic. When you think of it, it makes sense - what would the y*ds be doing going to Rome to see the pope? :wink:

Did we nick it off Rangers then? I wonder which English club was the first to export it,

Just going by what I've been told, don't think I've ever heard Gers fans sing it personally.

Okay, just wondering.

Rangers supporters did sing a version of 'Marching Through Georgia' until they were in trouble for doing so. Somebody objected to some of the words used.

This was originally a American Civil war Song, from The Unionist side.

BB, you were around in the 40`s at chelsea.... Sorry, 60`s/70`s :biggrin: Do you know the true story behind the Celery song? Its always bugged me that no-one can say for definite where it came from.

BB, you were around in the 40`s at chelsea.... Sorry, 60`s/70`s :biggrin: Do you know the true story behind the Celery song? Its always bugged me that no-one can say for definite where it came from.

Cheeky git! Not 100% sure, but I don't think 'Celery' was sung by Chelsea until the early 80's

What is the story behind Chelsea alloutte?

And while we are on it what is the TRUE story behind celery as I have heard various stories that all sound a bit unlikely to me??

Micky greenaway with celery I think and Alloute was sung by the '72 Chelsea squad, was on that album with Blue is the colour!

What is our reason to say Leicester? I thought it was kind of random and didn't really mean much. I don't think Celtic really think they started YNWA either.

I seem to recall that we used to sing, "we hate Nottingham Forest,* we hate Arsenal too (and Leicester) we hate West Ham united, but Chelsea we love you...." Then when it got changed to over land and sea everyone just kept the Leicester bit....

*(I may have got the words a bit wrong as I was a little kid at the time)

Ive heard 2 different stories behind it. One was in Rick Glanvill`s book (which anyone who hasnt read should immediately go out and buy) that says Micky greenawaypicked up the cassette version of a song called "Ask old brown" which had the celery lyric in it during a Chelsea tour of Sweden in 1981 and supposedly he played it over and over and therefore the song Celery as we know it today was born.

The other is that during an away game to Gillingham ( I think) the fans were directed away from the ground and the quickest way to get back was through an allotment where various vegetables were "found" and taken to the ground, celery being one. They were then thrown onto the pitch which became a tradition and a song was born around it. Although a twist to that rumour is it might have actually been the Gillingham fans throwing the celery.

I'm pretty sure it was "one man went to mow" that came from Greenaway's cassette in Sweden '81. Garry Jones would be able to confirm as I think he wrote about this before. The second story sounds nearer to what I heard for the origins of Celery. Was it at Watford though as I know they had the allotments by the away end?

Keep the Blue Flag Flying High is our song as far as I know. I can't recall hearing another team using that song before us but I could be wrong.

Does anybody know about Carefree? I always heard Newcastle sing "Drink Drink wherever you may be" but I'm not sure which song came first.

• 9 months later...