Don't even think about it, Nando!

Mod

I know there is a separate Torres topic but think this probably deserves its own, so long as people don't go on about form in every game.

The news is that apparently Fernando's agent says he could leave in May depending on circumstances. I don't think this is a great idea at all, just when he is finding form again, I think we should at least get some return on the mega money paid before we already look on shipping him out.

Agent hints that Chelsea striker Fernando Torres could leave Stamford Bridge in the summer

Fernando Torres will evaluate his Chelsea future at the end of the season, according to his agent.

After 14 months of despair following his £50 million transfer from Liverpool, the striker’s representative, Bahia Internacional's Antonio Sanz, has given the first hint he is already entertaining the prospect of moving on, courting interest from Roma and Juventus.

It is an extraordinary admission of the depths of the 28 year-old’s disillusionment during the course of his brief Chelsea career, although there was emphasis that the recent managerial changes have significantly helped his state of mind.

“We’ll evaluate his future in the coming months,” Sanz said. “Fernando has another four years on his contract at Chelsea and the situation there has changed for him.”

Torres was particularly unhappy under the management of Andre Villas-Boas, his agent said.

“With Villas-Boas, he was not considered, but the arrival of Roberto Di Matteo on the bench has seen him return to have the trust that he deserves,” said Sanz.

“He played a great match in the Champions League in Lisbon, assisting the winning goal for Kalou.”

Torres’s global status has dipped alarmingly since he left Liverpool and he is now not even certain of a place in the Spain squad for Euro 2012.

The appointment of the next full-time Chelsea manager will be crucial to determining if he believes he can ever thrive at Stamford Bridge and elevate himself to the form which prompted a record fee between British clubs.

Torres had been interested in a move to London for 18 months prior to his signing, but injuries and loss of confidence preceded his transfer, and without a regular starting place he has been unable to regain his sharpness.

If Torres is to leave at the end of the season, it would seem the top Italian clubs are heading the queue to sign him, but for a cut price fee there would be no shortage of sides across Europe ready to take the risk on him rediscovering his goalscoring touch.

“We know the new American project at Roma and the philosophy of manager Luis Enrique, but if Roma want Fernando, they will have to talk with Chelsea,” said Sanz.

“The Italian championship is of a good standard, but there are currently no discussions with Roma or Juventus.”

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9174792/Agent-hints-that-Chelsea-striker-Fernando-Torres-could-leave-Stamford-Bridge-in-the-summer.html

Thoughts?

I doubt he's leaving. For one, I don't think Roman would want to let him go. Two, he said the Chelsea fans chanting his name during his 'bad moment' was maybe the best part of his career. I don't think you leave that. Knowing the fans stayed with you, despite the worst run of form you've ever had, has to be hugely motivating. And three, he seems to be coming out of his slump.

If we can get money for him, yes. He's improved since he first got here, but that's not saying a whole lot since he was Sunday league level when he arrived. Simply put if your striker isn't scoring goals, then it's not good enough. He gets the odd assist now and again, but unless we're talking about 20-30 assists in a season, then he's not contributing enough.

Two, he said the Chelsea fans chanting his name during his 'bad moment' was maybe the best part of his career.

I wouldn't take what a footballer says very seriously. He's hardly going to come out and say he preferred being at Liverpool or Athletico is he?

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the agent appears to be blaming AVB, saying his client "was not considered", which appears to be untrue. Torres was considered, he was given plenty of games, he just didn't deliver, and when you're competing against other strikers and playing for a top club, you have to justify your place. Less pointing the finger would be welcome in my view, but then it's far easier to just blame someone else.

As for "getting a return" as you put it Mod, well, if we could get good money and buy someone who could deliver the goods, then that is a good return in my view. I understand what you mean, it would be good to see Torres firing in a blue shirt given the massive outlay, however, if it were me, and someone offered me £30m say, I would bite their hand off, because I believe Torres is a mile away from being the player of 4 years ago and will never return to those heights, and I believe we can get better. Way better. Ideally, we want a striker that frightens the life out of defenders, and while some may cling on to the hope Torres can be that man, I'm afraid the evidence suggests otherwise, unless you delve back into the archive.

That's not to say he's not playing better, he is, and if he were to stay this summer I wouldn't be too disappointed, particularly as Drogba will be gone in all likelihood. Torres is working hard, regaining a bit of form, and has it all to prove, and those are positives. More than anything, I hope the decision rests with the new manager, whoever that is. If he wants Torres, Torres should stay. If he doesn't he needs to inform Torres and Torres should look elsewhere.

My thoughts are that the agent appears to be blaming AVB, saying his client "was not considered", which appears to be untrue. Torres was considered, he was given plenty of games, he just didn't deliver, and when you're competing against other strikers and playing for a top club, you have to justify your place. Less pointing the finger would be welcome in my view, but then it's far easier to just blame someone else.

As for "getting a return" as you put it Mod, well, if we could get good money and buy someone who could deliver the goods, then that is a good return in my view. I understand what you mean, it would be good to see Torres firing in a blue shirt given the massive outlay, however, if it were me, and someone offered me £30m say, I would bite their hand off, because I believe Torres is a mile away from being the player of 4 years ago and will never return to those heights, and I believe we can get better. Way better. Ideally, we want a striker that frightens the life out of defenders, and while some may cling on to the hope Torres can be that man, I'm afraid the evidence suggests otherwise, unless you delve back into the archive.

That's not to say he's not playing better, he is, and if he were to stay this summer I wouldn't be too disappointed, particularly as Drogba will be gone in all likelihood. Torres is working hard, regaining a bit of form, and has it all to prove, and those are positives. More than anything, I hope the decision rests with the new manager, whoever that is. If he wants Torres, Torres should stay. If he doesn't he needs to inform Torres and Torres should look elsewhere.

Exactly how I see it,

I am as pleased as anyone that Torres has contributed of late but that hasn't made me believe he can be as scarey for us as he was for the Scousers or Drogba has been.

A Club as ambitious as Chelsea needs the main striker to be someone that gives defenders nightmares in the way we know he could and Drogba could but although a good player to have in the team, I'd say that anything looking close to the original outlay back would be enough to secure either two players that would bring as much to the team or one that would bring more.

echoing the above post this should surely be left in the hands of whoever is next Manager and not decided just before he comes in, that way he can make a reasoned assesment as to if he thinks there is a good chance of getting him back to his lethal best.

Edited by Chippy

..but Chippy, using your own mindset, shouldn't Nando at least be given more time to prove (at least some of) his worth.

I'd say its a lot easier to judge a player than a Manager Mod plus I'm talking about picking up close to the money shelled out and not pouring a load more down the same gaping hole.

I have supported Torres and still do, more so but I don't think on what I've seen he will ever be (for more than an odd game here and there) the player he was, I see a player who though improved is not scaring defenders and not filling fans with excitement.

We have an aging Drogba who is for me still the bigger threat and we all know he is nothing like the player he was.

Don't try to make this sound like I have anything against him or want to be a told you so merchant as I very rarely slag any Chelsea players off, past or present but if someone dangled fourty mill under my nose and it was my decision, I'd cut my losses.

Again I will add that that decision should fall on the shoulders of the next manager, the one who supposedly will be leading the team through the changes in personel and style that is surely overdue.

Lots of thoughts. The agent said Torres was angry with AVB. But AVB gave him a chance to win the place and he couldn't. He also failed in his second chance, during the African Cup.

I love how Torres is playing right now. His effort is fantastic. You'd hate to lose that.

But I remember an article that moi posted, I think from the Financial Times. It discussed players who go into slumps like Torres. They rarely returned to their former level.

With that in mind, I would do a straight swap of Torres for an aggressive, pacey striker like Cavani every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Whilst I think he could still come good & is showing really good signs this year, if someone came in with £50m you would have to consider it

If some one came in with 50 million im sure he would be on his way before we knew it, to not take any losses on him would be a great deal, but realistically we would be lucky to get 30 for him.

He's working hard and trying to get back to old ways, as long as we are winning, im happy for him to do that.

Whilst I think he could still come good & is showing really good signs this year, if someone came in with £50m you would have to consider it

If we could recoup even half of what we paid I'd be f**king ecstatic.

I saw in Random Rumours that Carlo at Anzhi is wanting to bid 45million for him. It that were true I would jump at the chance. A much as I want Nando to come good, I'm just not sure, and if we got that kind of money we could look at it as a net 5million loss, and I think he has given us 5million worth of service, easily

Guys, I think we have to be realistic about what we can get in terms of a fee. I would say £30m is the absolute max that we can expect to receive. Torres is 28. If anyone signs him this summer they will pin him down for four years at least. He has very little resale value once he's 32 or 33. Furthermore, his stock has gone way down over the last 18 months, and to a certain degree the 18 months before that. Nobody will be under illusions that they are signing a Van Persie, or a Torres anywhere near his previous level. He could still be a good striker, for us or somebody else, but the only way it would be upwards of £30m is if Roman's pals at Anzhi do him a favour, and I can't see Torres going to Russia. Personally, I think £30m may be unlikely.

Interestingly, City will possibly be offloading Tevez this summer. It sounds like they are prepared to accept £25m, and Tevez has far more resale value because he is younger (I think).

We fans have the best of both worlds in this. If Nando leaves, we'll be repaid a big chunk of whats already been paid. If he stays, hope lives on for him to come good and be that guy, and as for the cost - lately he's pulling his weight, he's clearly popular on the squad, and whatever his salary, it's Roman's money and good for him being the big spender.

Edited by ThunderDan

That rumour is pretty random, seeing as Carlo's in Paris ;)

I assume he meant Roberto Carlos? Anzhi's the kind of club that might overspend. They might be willing to spend to bring a star player who would give them legitimacy in the eyes of the football world, and also something to market.