CFC The Most Unbalanced Squad In The EP ?

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

We may be potrayed as the 'deepest' squad in the EP, but i think were the most unbalanced squad !

With the injuries & individual players poor form its really shown us how weak & unbalanced the squad is.

Magnus Hedman

Yves Ma Kalambay

Petr Cech

Carlo Cudicini

Henrique Hilario

Ashley Cole

Nuno Morais

Ricardo Carvalho

Khalid Boulahrouz

Wayne Bridge

Paulo Ferreira

John Terry

Claude Makelele

Michael Essien

Frank Lampard

Joe Cole

John Obi Mikel

Michael Ballack

Geremi

Arjen Robben

Lassana Diarra

Michael Woods

Salomon Kalou

Shaun Wright-Phillips

Andrei Shevchenko

Didier Drogba

Ben Sahar

With all the ? we have spent i find it disturbing that in one season we have gone from a strong, confident & balanced(ish) squad of players, to an unbalanced, decimated squad.

having two central defenders plus boulharouz was a disaster from the beginning, and having 2 strikers and wanting to play the 442 was silly also unless he considered Robben a striker for the season and Kalou a possibility also.

Is the squad unbalanced? I don't think it is terribly unbalanced in terms of where we started the season. We could have done with an extra central defender and another striker but otherwise it looks ok.

Goalkeepers:

Petr Cech

Carlo Cudicini

Hilario

Defense:

Ashley Cole

Wayne Bridge

Ricardo Carvalho

Khalid Boulahrouz

John Terry

Paulo Ferreira

Geremi

Midfield

Claude Makelele

Lassana Diarra

Michael Essien

Frank Lampard

John Obi Mikel

Michael Ballack

Wingers/Wide Midfield

Arjen Robben

Joe Cole

Salomon Kalou

Shaun Wright-Phillips

Strikers

Andrei Shevchenko

Didier Drogba

However, if we look at where we are now then a combination of injury and poor form changes the picture quite dramatically:

Current squad - excluding those unfit: (those dreadfully out of form in brackets)

Goalkeepers:

Petr Cech

Hilario

Hedman

Cudicini

Defense:

Ashley Cole

Ricardo Carvalho

Paulo Ferreira

Geremi

Midfield

Claude Makelele

Lassana Diarra

Michael Essien

Frank Lampard

John Obi Mikel

(Michael Ballack)

Wingers/Wide Midfield

(Salomon Kalou)

(Shaun Wright-Phillips)

Strikers

(Andrei Shevchenko)

Didier Drogba

Now we defeinitely have a problem.

With the players we have then we have to play 4-4-2

-------------------------Cech

Ferreira--------Carvalho-----Essien------Cole

-----------------------Makelele

----------Ballack---------------------Lampard

-----------------------Mikel

------------Sheva----------------Drogba

Yeah thats my point, we have a midfield laden with players available, but we dont need some of them, but we do need c/b's wingers & right sided players.

the injuries don't show how unbalanced the squad is. the injuries make the squad unbalanced because they have been focused in two positions - goalkeeper and centre half. not many teams could cope with losing two goalies and two centre halves.

the question is not the size but the strength of the squad...we're relying on young guys like kalou and mikel, whereas the last two seasons we'd have seasoned pros coming in...everyone spotted the lack of centre halfs at the start of the season, but we have been effectively a further two men down due to ballack's and sheva's disappointing form

we play with 2 central defenders and have 2 in the squad.

We have three.

we play with 2 strikers and have 2 in the squad. that, is madness.

that is madness I agree.

hehe- if you consider #9 Boulharouz a central defender then harry redknapp should sign me up and watch me make a cup of tea goalside of him for 10 minutes. (i am not good with the tea)

we play with 2 central defenders and have 2 in the squad.

We have three.

we play with 2 strikers and have 2 in the squad. that, is madness.

that is madness I agree.

hehe- if you consider #9 Boulharouz a central defender then harry redknapp should sign me up and watch me make a cup of tea goalside of him for 10 minutes. (i am not good with the tea)

Then what`s your considerations about Boulahrouz? Is he Right Back?

I believe he is more central defender than full back. Maybe you treat him as a keeper?? (who knows?)

no idea, but from what I've seen he looked incompetent and uncomfortable in the center.. wasn't goalside, dragged players down, made fouls... Didn't see any football before christmas so i can't judge him on the right.

He is not a replacement of high enough standard, at least Huth was !

I'm not sure that Huth is any better than Boulahrouz. It's pretty hard to make much of a judgement about him at centre half as he has only played there about 4 times for us. First time he was alongside Terry and was fine. The other times he was alongside Carvalho and his decision making was terrible against Everton. Clearly he is a back up for Terry and Carvalho and as such I would think he is fine.

boulahrouz is definately a lot better than huth. he had a particularly poor game against everton, but that was his first bad game in the middle IMO, and came off the back of being subbed as a sub at spurs (at rightback)- his confidence was shot to bits.

At this moment Id take Huth over Boulha, credit where credit is due his performance at SB against Ronaldinho is THE performance of the season by a Chelsea player so far, however since then its all been downhill culminating int he hapless performance at the JBB where he bought new meaning to the word liabillity.

Also, every time he plays you fear he is a sending off waiting to happen.

we never had what would have been the horror show of a huth playing without terry (or without gallas doing all his work), but it would have been terrible. I think boulahrouz has done enough to have confidence in him as the third choice... his form obviously will pick up, but I'd like to not see him at right back again.

we never had what would have been the horror show of a huth playing without terry (or without gallas doing all his work), but it would have been terrible. I think boulahrouz has done enough to have confidence in him as the third choice... his form obviously will pick up, but I'd like to not see him at right back again.

Agreed. At right back he was great just once - against Barcelona at Stamford.

One of the original points about the squad being weakend still holds up in all positions, who would you rather have:

Gallas or Boularouz

Gudjohnson or Ballack

Duff or Kalou

Crespo or Shevchenko

I know there were different reasons for the players leaving and not all could or would have stayed but the players who have come in hav'nt done as good as the players who have left.

If you add to that the injury situation Jm has done well to keep us where we are.

Lets not start again about Paulo eh BB ? icon_wink.gif

Sorry BJD icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

It's just so frustrating watching him play knowing that he's capable of playing so much better (or at least he was).

As for Cole, I just get so pissed off when he's selected ahead of Bridge all the timetantrum.gif

Oh, and coco, if you've got something to say, say it - don't just post sarcastic emoticons - we can all do that........... w**k2.gif .....see, it's easy icon_rolleyes.gif