What period was our mob at its peak

Soulboy
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

On 3 November 2014 at 09:38, sparkplug said:

September 1977 we had two specials to Warwick Road station took up all the scoreboard enclosure but the Mancs had the paddock to the left remember a few Chels climbed a fence to our right took it to them but got nicked including old Wiff throughout the game the mob in the paddock kept chanting"Babsy Babsy show us your arm" at the end of the game the old Bill kept us behind giving us a lecture about keeping calm when the gates open and there is enough of them to protect us from the waiting mob outside soon as the gate opened up we just charged through broke the police line and laid into them we had offs all the way back to the station past the cricket ground running them everywhere good days

On 21 November 2016 at 20:05, sparkplug said:

Millwall September 1976 can't say what happened in the ground before KO as I was in the 'shed' mob with B consisting of a Few Fulham lads, us Lewisham lot Nutty, Bulldog, Lighty and Lavenue sadly all no longer with us Rumpole Smiffy Shandy Ernie Tash etc, Slough boys and a few other odds and sods including a coach load from Bletchley.

We met in the Swan pub in Lewisham the original plan was for DH to meet at Fulham Broadway tube and make their way to Lewisham unfortunately it nether worked out that way we got the train to New Cross had our first row at the New Cross Inn the windows went through. Found out Plumby and a few others were drinking in the pub as well we joined up and continued on the way to the ground outside the CBL met a few others including Tommy Gloves (RIP)  who had already been in the ground they said we was getting done in there and we were mad to go in told them we are going in most of them decided to join us.

After going through turnstiles we waited at the bottom of the stairs till everybody had got through then went up the stairs at the top turned right and stood in front of the bar there didn't appear at first to be too many of their firm in there a few of them were up the Ilderton road end after a Chelsea mob who had gone on the pitch and run up that end we started to be sussed out think it was Lavenue and Nutty who led a charge into them they scattered at first but we didn't fall into the trap of chasing after them we wanted to hold the Bar and the back of the Terracing soon they was coming from all three sides a few rows broke out but they seemed a bit wary of coming into us there was a few Old Bill there but not really enough to stop them the onus was on them to get us out the numbers of Old Bill grew throughout the first half so by half time they decided to start taking us out the ground through the second half a couple at a time seeing this a few started making their own way out. I got taken out with a couple of others there were a few Millwall waiting outside decided not to hang about walked up to New Cross and got a bus to Lewisham where we managed to meet up and made our way back to the Swan to await Millwall to come but they nether showed up.

None of us got really battered that day apart for some of the the lot on the Bletchley Coach including one who I thinked got stabbed by a screwdriver.

1 hour ago, Thebone said:

???????? There were 11 stabbings there that day and they were all Chelsea, oh and the geezer in the paper with a dart I his head

I know there were a few stabbings that day I was just talking about the mob I went with

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2016 at 10:46, Garrison said:

Talking about which era was best, I'd say the mid '60's to mid '70's was the best, as we got away with far more, due to lack of camera's and the Filth weren't clued up, plis fines were £5 to £10. wrote this a while ago, about the first classic post war terrace battle . . . 

The

White Heart Lane

Massacre 1967

About 50 of North End Road Boys met up at Liverpool Street Station, From there we went by BR and arrived just before 11 O'clock, walking round the corner onto the High Street, we found it deserted so we crossed the road, and went into what is now Valentino's. A lot of us were wearing Tottenham scarves, so we didn't get stopped by the police. In the pub the landlord took us as Spurs fans and served us, then around 11:30, the real Spurs turned up, and we took the scarves off and chanted “Chelsea”, and steamed in; they never knew what hit them. Over the bar, grabbing the optics, they went flying through the windows, tables and chairs were smashed, then the sound of Police cars, so we scampered up the High Street toward Edmonton. Those of us that made it around 20, went into a café, and had dinner.

Then around 1:30 we strolled down the High Street, now packed with people, we met up with some of those that were in the pub with us, and went in the ground. Once inside we straight away realised we'd got in before the main y*d firm, so we kicked off with those standing on the terrace near the entrance gate behind the goal. Clearing it we waited for the inevitable and it came from behind as the y*ds came onto the terrace from an entrance gate further down. They charged, we stood, and it went toe to toe. More Chelsea arrived to swell our numbers, and we forced the y*ds back towards the other entrance gate. A few of our number were attacking those that tried to come through the gate we were at. One of our number had a wooden mallet, and was knocking y*d's out right left and centre.

Then the police arrived, and formed a line between the us and the y*d's and started throwing people out, but moments latter they'd reappeared after paying to get back in again. DA reappeared Five times, I myself three times. The fighting continued as more of the Shed arrived to swell our numbers. But the y*d's were also increasing their numbers, and the fighting continued as the teams came out. Then a breakthrough. The y*d's who were down by the pitch wall, were getting battered, and started to climb over the low wall, and onto the pitch. Some of us followed them and the fight continued on the grass behind the goal. Then a few of the y*d's ran, and it lead to a Sheep like stamped. We stood there cheering, but were charged by a group of Filth, so jumped back over the wall, and took a large group of y*d's from the rear, who were fighting the Shed.

Taken by surprise they started to run. I then noticed that we had cleared the Park Lane End, and it was totally under Chelsea control. We then saw that the ref had taken the players off the pitch, and it was 3:20, when things stared to calm down. But small pockets of y*ds, kept being found and dealt with.

It was the first time in Post War football history that a kick off was delayed for so long. And when y*d's were seen to be massing on the Shelf we charged them, and the fighting carried on till half time. By now the Filth had grown in number as reserves must have been called up. And they formed a number of human barriers; although fighting erupted a few times more as the Shed cleared the Shelf. The Park Lane Terrace and Shelf were firmly in Chelsea hands and stayed that way for the rest of the game.

With the game over, we left the ground en mass, and saw a huge mass of y*d's waiting on the High Street. Holding everyone back, till we were all in the street, DA shouted charge. There must have been around 5,000 of us, and we went through the police lines like a knife through butter. Steaming into the waiting y*d's our momentum forced them back across the road, then they started to run.

As a footnote, the Evening Standard ran a back page story about the riot, and had a photo taken of the fighting from the pitch. And there in the middle was one of the North End Road Boys, in a Stripped T-Shirt, and some old biddy wrote in saying he was the one with the mallet. A few days latter he was arrested and got 6 months.

1967 Spurs v Chelsea.jpg

From an Evertonian interloper who found the above footage while looking for something very different. 

Edited by Lordjim

In the early nineties a mate that I knew from a work colleague told me WHU were going to take the shed end and to be careful. On the day of the match I had been in the Cross Eyed Newt and had about 5 or 6 drinks and me and another mate had to jog as we had less than 10 minutes before kick off.

The ground was quiet, normally the Shed at that time would be singing for 20-30 minutes before kick off and then I remembered what I had been told about WHU. As I pushed through to the Middle of the Shed I felt crap with joint aches, headaches, mouth ulcers and thought, 'fxxk it', I put up my arms in the air and bellowed "Care.............." and the Shed responded and so did the West Stand.

Not sure if the Hammers were in the Shed or it was just the rumour that had everyone spooked yet it felt good and we won the match 2-1.

I didn't hang around with mobs just groups that enjoyed the singing and drinking.

Some of the things I noticed, on one of my early away trips to Bristol City in the FA cup we got one of the independent coaches and then found we were the only two to be wearing shirts everyone else was in wearing no colours though with perhaps the enamel club emblems. Once we arrived they went one way and we went off to the ground. Great turn out and electric atmosphere, coins being thrown by the City fans and lumps of celery being thrown towards the pitch.  At the end of the depressing game (lost 3-1) the gates were locked, about 20 chaps shoulder charged these metal gates. The police came up behind them and pulled their truncheons the guys hit the gates again and they broke.....a big cheer erupted behind us as the away end started coming down the steps  and for a moment I wondered if the police were going to get battered and then I noticed the BBC cameras on a crane do a swivel and then point down towards us. The police then smartly withdrew their truncheons and moved away. Back on the coach all the others came back with digs, cut and grazes.

Millwall away at the Old Den I joined a large group of Chelsea several hundred strong and marched down the Old Kent Road only to be greeted by a hail of bottles from a pub opposite where we turned off for the ground. A fair number of the Chelsea fans started running towards Millwall causing cars to break and police vans to pull up sharply, we won 3-1 and I got home without any further incident. A group at Millwall away struck me as big guys that looked very handy and shabbily dressed and I got the feeling that they made the effort to come out just for this match.

Arsenal away I must of attended the last non-ticket match and the queue to get in stretched all the way back to the other tube station so decided to go in the Arsenal seats, once the singing started found I was in good company as there must have been about 500 hundred of us and more in the North Bank. The Arsenal fans didn't like it yet we were too many. After going 2 up we lost 3-2.

Always got the impression there was trouble at Villa yet only saw a bit at the train platform and pitch invasions and remember a funny moment when Ken Bates thought he would do a Brian Clough and go and get a pitch invader only for a group of Chelsea fans to grab him from behind and start running around the pitch with him being carried aloft and they were cheering his name. I never saw him do that again.

In Sheffield was one of those rare occasions when we were drinking with the home supporters and having a chat due to some of my more sociable friends and some other Chelsea came in looking lively and bouncing on their toes, we made eye contact and I shook my head and off they went.

Handbags at ten paces at Forest away, Leeds fans at Earls court, Millwall fans at Charing Cross and of course there was Millwall in the FA Cup 1994/1995. I was in the Lower North and after the penalty shoot out they invaded the pitch. A number of guys called people forward yet there was not enough perhaps forty or so that were willing to go up and against a couple of thousand Millwall. Chelsea in the West stand then started throwing the old wooden seats like frisbees.  I didn't actually see any fighting that day though saw groups of Chelsea running around the streets being monitored and chased by the police.

In all these instances they were different groups of Chelsea fans as though they were small mobs rather than big firms and it was strange seeing the support we got in different places like Rangers up at Everton and Welsh fans at Villa.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@Garrison A question for you, both me and my bro in our 20's got into a few scrapes, I ko'd a nutcase attacking a friend and then fought with two others who then attacked me. Although I could walk away I soon found out I had damaged my ribcage and pelvis and took me years to find some relief. My brother also broke some knuckles hitting people over the years.

We only had the odd scrape yet it got me wondering about you chaps from the earlier times taking the opposition ends on a regular basis , did you end up with broken bones and concussions etc?

If you did were there always others to give you a helping hand?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2017 at 23:32, Lordjim said:

From an Evertonian interloper who found the above footage while looking for something very different. 

For a brief but evocative insight into what awaited Chelsea at WHL that November 1967, try a book called Faith of our Fathers: Football as a Religion (1997) by a Liverpool fan called Alan Edge. He describes the appearance of Tottenham's skins in amongst the away fans in a match which I'm pretty sure was on 4 November 1967.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?isbn=1780574126

On 8/27/2017 at 17:27, Strider6003 said:

@Garrison A question for you, both me and my bro in our 20's got into a few scrapes, I ko'd a nutcase attacking a friend and then fought with two others who then attacked me. Although I could walk away I soon found out I had damaged my ribcage and pelvis and took me years to find some relief. My brother also broke some knuckles hitting people over the years.

We only had the odd scrape yet it got me wondering about you chaps from the earlier times taking the opposition ends on a regular basis , did you end up with broken bones and concussions etc?

If you did were there always others to give you a helping hand?

I only got knocked out once, and that was when four of us took on the whole of the Wolves End up there, I tripped up the terrace step, fell over and on getting up all I remember was seeing the front end of a Dr Martin's Boot. Fractured left cheek bone resulted. Got a fractured skull and right wrist, after being attacked from behind with an iron bar at Plymouth away in 1976. Other than that I was lucky and got away with major injuries, mainly because going in hard and fast, put whoever you were attacking on the back foot. Mind you I've never been hit or kicked so many times in one day, as in the CBL, back in 1976, had bruises that lasted weeks after that one. The North Stand were schooled that you always back your own up no matter what, and anyone that ran, was dealt with after the game, the reason we used to attack the police was in order to get back people that were getting nicked.

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Thanks for your honesty.

Another point how did you get on at work, I got loads of comments and asked to see managers if I came in with black eyes or the like though I did work in an office.

I was in the Army from 1966 till 1971, but based in London, after that I went back to DJing, and photography. I did get the sack back in 1964 for being on the front page of the Daily Mirror, but that's another story.

• 8 months later...