The Blues on the Box

Zola
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Over the next 3 weeks we are on the box 5 times which is pretty sweet!

Derby v Chelsea Tue 16 Dec - Sky Sports 1

Stoke v Chelsea Mon 22 Dec - Sky Sports 1

Chelsea v West Ham 26 Dec - Sky Sports 1

Southampton v Chelsea 28 Dec - Sky Sports 1

Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea, 1 Jan - BT Sport

After the spurs game in January, we play three 3pm games in a row, and then City at the end of the month on sky.

Less streaming !

Edited by Zola

What a difference it makes when you're on top. 

We were the least shown team of the top 4 in recent seasons I believe. 

ITV are w**k, for the second year running they only showed one of our 6 Champions League group games. 

It's sh*t like that which makes FFP such a pile of sh*t.... There is no financial fairness when your financial contributions can be at the mercy of others. 

What a difference it makes when you're on top. 

We were the least shown team of the top 4 in recent seasons I believe. 

ITV are w**k, for the second year running they only showed one of our 6 Champions League group games. 

It's sh*t like that which makes FFP such a pile of sh*t.... There is no financial fairness when your financial contributions can be at the mercy of others. 

Is the TV money not divided equally amongst all participants in England?

No, for some competitions money is award specifically to the teams being shown. 

I believe the Champions League is one of those competitions which is why despite us progressing further than them in the competition last season Manchester United earned greater TV venue than us last year. 

Yep - the TV companies pay UEFA the rights money each year for X games and the money is split by TV revenue value per country (then between the teams in that country by revenue value)

But let's not let facts get in the way of a chance to moan.

BTW - If anyone wants to moan about us getting poor value then look at Arsenal. Always on ITV yet only had 10% of the UK revenue for TV last year.

Edited by Crem

No, for some competitions money is award specifically to the teams being shown. 

I believe the Champions League is one of those competitions which is why despite us progressing further than them in the competition last season Manchester United earned greater TV venue than us last year. 

Yep - they got more because they were champions. So their market share was the highest.

For some reason I cannot edit my reply. It is not very clear.

My understanding is the revenue is pretty much decided before any draw takes place. How many times you appear on TV is irrelevant. A clubs revenue share of TV depends on where they finished in the league to qualify. The champions get the most , the 4th place the least.

ManU got the most because they were champions . Arsenal got the least because they were 4th. As TV revenue is more than the money paid for success in the actual competition, it meant ManU came out better than us. If we win the PL this year then we will get the most TV money.

My dad made an observation recently that apart from when playing the other 'top' teams, it's quite rare that Sky and BT will show our home games. This he reckons results in us featuring in more difficult games that result in dropped points (Sunderland, Newcastle for example) whilst United and are more likely to feature in home games. I don't think he's researched this, just feels it's the case.

My theory is that if it is at all true, it's not exactly that they hope to see us lose but hate getting all their live broadcast gear into SW6 and round the back of the Bridge.

Whatever the reason, I guess it's good for the regular Bridge goers as we get more Saturday 3pm games.

Just noticed that we're away in 4 of the 5 games listed a few posts above and just been on twice away in the North East. Maybe he is right?

Edited by Snedger

Two February TV games

Our fixtures with Everton and Leicester City in February have both been selected for live TV coverage.

The game with Everton at Stamford Bridge remains a 7.45pm kick-off on Wednesday 11 February but will now be broadcast live on BT Sport.

Our away game at Leicester will now start at 5.30pm on Saturday 28 February and will be live on Sky Sports. Please note this match is subject to possible Capital One Cup final participation.