Safe Standing at The Bridge

LewisCFC

it's well documented that at the moment safe standing is a thing that could come into football, i was just wondering what people would think to it? and more importantly would you want it at the bridge, and where because i don't think every stand needs it, personally only parts of the shed and MHL i'd say.

It would surely be introduced to the MHL and Shed end.

Generally that is where people stand/want to stand and that goes for the majority of football grounds (stands behind the goals that is).

Don't see why it can't happen, it is without doubt more safe than having an end where people stand regardless of having seats in front of them which are essentially a trip hazard, hence why when an end goal ballistic you often end of on the floor or a few rows in front of where you started.

Can someone explain the safe-standing rules/law? I always thought it was against the law but apparently Cardiff City have it. What's the deal?

I think the law stops open standing. In other words the traditional standing where there were no barriers between rows of people. The idea behind safe standing is that each row is shielded , in some way, from the row behind so you cannot get any surge.

I think it is a great idea and every ground should have an area assigned to safe standing.

Can someone explain the safe-standing rules/law? I always thought it was against the law but apparently Cardiff City have it. What's the deal?

It is not a law at all this is the biggest myth . The Taylor report after Hillsbrough "recommended" that all stadium should be seated only.

This was picked up by the FA / Premier League who added it as a criteria of clubs stadiums that they must be all seat stadiums to play in the Premier League and other divisions. UEFA have the same criteria for Champions League matches hence no standing in German grounds for Champions League games.

If the local council have no objections to standing and issue a safety certificate then I assume this is how Cardiff got round it .

It's to do with International football they don't allow standing at any grounds BUT are CHELSEA going to hold England's games at the bridge I DOUBT THAT so there is nothing to stop the club from sorting it out! And B/Munich have standing if I am not mistaken

They play international matches at Westfalenstadion (Borussia Dortmund), even though they've got the biggest all standing section in Europe. Obviously it's all seated for international matches, though. The section's standing capacity is 25000, which is more than some Premier League stadiums' total capacity.

Windsor pk not allow to have standing for Irish league games because of the international law so it seems it is one law for one

I guess the decision is for the Irish league to decide and maybe at Windsor Park they haven't been able to make the same arrangements as Borussia Dortmund have been able to do at Westfalenstadion.

• 1 month later...

Celtic has been granted permission by Glasgow Council to introduce safe standing for 2,600 fans (just under 5% of stadium capacity). I suspect that clubs in England will keep an eye on what happens at Parkhead. Will be interesting to see if we and other English clubs follow suit. I appreciate it is a different country with a different governing football association.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/09/celtic-safe-standing-parkhead-permission-granted

Celtic has been granted permission by Glasgow Council to introduce safe standing for 2,600 fans (just under 5% of stadium capacity). I suspect that clubs in England will keep an eye on what happens at Parkhead. Will be interesting to see if we and other English clubs follow suit. I appreciate it is a different country with a different governing football association.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/09/celtic-safe-standing-parkhead-permission-granted

A new stadium build would be an ideal time to include safe standing in the planning!

Unfortunately the blanket ban doesn't apply in Scotland, so whilst it's definitely good news this is moving forward, there will still be a ridiculous amount of red tape for any English team to implement safe standing. 

As much as I hate Celtic I respect the club for persevering with the useless Glasgow council and getting this pushed through. 

All for it.  If we are going to rebuild, or expand Stamford Bridge, I'd love to see a single stand that was all standing (one of either the Matty Harding or the Shed, not just bits of each).

Glad that Celtic have pushed this up in Scotland, but really hope a few pissed up neds don't ruin it for all

It needs to happen in MHL and the Shed, i've experienced many times the weird situation where everyone wants to stand but keeps being awkwardly asked not to by stewards

Ideally if they did that then they'd move the away supporters at the same time. Make the Shed and MHL safe standing and both wholly Chelsea.

Archived