Homophobia in football

Tom Palace
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Hello all,

I'm currently studying at University and am doing a project on homophobia in football. I've created a really quick survey (ignore any ambiguity in the questions!) which I'm posting to every team in the Premier League's forum. As a Palace fan, I'm currently suffering enough without failing this assignment so any responses would be very welcome!

Apologies if this post bores some of you but I'd be very grateful if you did respond!

Good luck for the rest of the season. Looking forward to Pardew getting sacked after you destroy us on Saturday.

Tom

I know this may not sit well with some folk but I'm really not sure about this whole subject to to be honest.

Why does someones sexual prefence even come into the equation ?  It seems some people feel the need to expresss their sexuality so openly, and then be offended if not everyone agrees with it ?  I am not for one minute defending homophobia, far from it.

I'm just puzzled as to why anybody would want to make their intimate moments some kind of cause and crusade.

Besucase they are/have been discriminated against. It is thanks to the "coming out" strategy that society has come to accept their choice and now they have equal rights. Not that long ago they could go to prison, and since only recently they have the right to choose to get married (something that makes them a little more equal to heterosexuals). All this thanks to those that openly discuss their sexuality, because they have made society see they exist and understand that they are just like the rest of us.

With the expression "express their sexuality so openly" you've chosen to refer to homosexuality you are (subconsciously) biasing your opinion on them. Would you choose to say the same if we were discussing blond v brunettes ? On the other hand, the sexuality of heterosexual men is also so openly expressed that you only have to go out on a Friday or Saturday night to get a full blow of "macho" pheromones in the face. Not talking about the flirting in many offices, the "wow she's hot conversations" between mates, or the kissing in public by boyfriend and girlfriend. Why should homosexuals be different?

22 hours ago, WeatherMan said:

I know this may not sit well with some folk but I'm really not sure about this whole subject to to be honest.

Why does someones sexual prefence even come into the equation ?  It seems some people feel the need to expresss their sexuality so openly, and then be offended if not everyone agrees with it ?  I am not for one minute defending homophobia, far from it.

I'm just puzzled as to why anybody would want to make their intimate moments some kind of cause and crusade.

It's really not a question of being offended if not everyone accepts their sexuality.  There is a vast difference between "not accepting a sexuality that is different from your own" and openly expressing your contempt for those who choose to express their different sexuality honestly. 

Nor is it a question of making it a cause or crusade,  It is not homosexuals who have created the need for a crusade: that need has been created by the bigoted narrow-minded bullies who take pleasure in despising those who are different from themselves.

God has not made a very good job of sorting it out so far, has he? If I believed in a God (which like Valerie I don't) I would believe in a God who expected decent human beings to stand up against bigotry and prejudice of all kinds.

And if by that you think I am saying that those who are bigoted and prejudiced are not decent human beings, then you are quite right, that is exactly what I am saying.  :wife:

• 2 weeks later...