Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Harris

Confederations Cup 2017

47 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Oh my god. The Chile player was clearly taken out, Chile should have a penalty, the ref doesn't even bother using the VAR........this is exactly why it was bought in for goodness sake :face_palm:

Even with VAR, the refs are still f**king up. If they are still going to be cocking up with the VAR in place, then why bother with it at all ? This tournament was supposed to be the biggest test of VAR so far.....well, this trial has quite clearly failed.

I agree the VAR is a complete mess atm. I can see that the officials on the pitch are so hesitant and confused. I have even seen a linesman not raise his flag for offside, thinking that VAR will rectify the decision. I was of the opinion that VAR would iron out some of the creases, in fact it's worse now than it ever was.

VAR is proving one thing, it's not that technology was necessarily needed, it's proving that the refs are as incompetent as a lot of people expected. The Chile player elbows the German player right in the face, the ref goes to VAR.........he gives a yellow card. How can any ref think that is only a yellow card and not a red ?

So what do we think of VAR? It didn't go so well if its still 100% referee call. Sometimes he doesn't bother looking at VAR, other times he looks at VAR for the most blatant elbow you'll see and only gives a yellow.

Whats the point.

8 hours ago, Stim said:

So what do we think of VAR? It didn't go so well if its still 100% referee call. Sometimes he doesn't bother looking at VAR, other times he looks at VAR for the most blatant elbow you'll see and only gives a yellow.

Whats the point.

A shambles in this tournament, a complete failure. I think they have used it in the wrong way. I don't see why it can't just be like Cricket. The team get's a certain number of challenges per game, a team of people watch the footage from multiple angles and if they can be sure the ref has made the wrong decision, they force the ref to change his decision.

I don't understand why this sport is struggling with it when it's working so well in other sports.

I have been in favor of VAR ever since the idea was coined by the officiating bodies however after experiencing the pilot during the confederations cup I feel cheated. The referee in the final should be held accountable for the mess he created, what on earth was he doing running off field to view the footage, he seemed like the kind of guy who has huge trust issues and returns home from work early once in a while to check if his wife is cheating on him or something.

The on field ref needs to trust the off field officials who should have the tech to quickly & swiftly make checks for any wrongdoings, if there is any evidence of wrongdoings overrule the refs decision otherwise move on. This rubbish of refs running off field is just clueless and I really doubt was something asked of the on field officials.

I also like the idea which Scott mentioned of giving Managers a challenge per match to query a decision which they may feel aggrieved by

I haven't watched this though if challenges are to be allowed I would say each club has one opportunity to challenge per half and of course should be issued within a minute of the incident.

It will add time to the matches and I've noticed in rugby matches it seems to take ages.

16 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

It will add time to the matches and I've noticed in rugby matches it seems to take ages.

I think this is because Rugby normally has unclear packs of men with not super clear views of the ball. Cricket they have the time but tons of different things to check. It should be a lot quicker in football, its a lot more clear cut in replays.

5 hours ago, Stim said:

I think this is because Rugby normally has unclear packs of men with not super clear views of the ball. Cricket they have the time but tons of different things to check. It should be a lot quicker in football, its a lot more clear cut in replays.

I agree. Quite often during the live broadcast we get to see replays of most situations before the play is continued, so it shouldn't slow the game down in any significant way if it's done correctly. They're just learning how to use it, but I'm sure if they give it a proper go, the referees will learn how to use it well.

Counted a few times in the tournament that the ref went to check the VAR himself, quite ridiculous and time consuming that he isn't trusting the officials seems very big headed imo.