Other old stuff.

bluehaze

15 hours ago, bluehaze said:

I've got a Gabicci cardigan because I saw Don Letts wearing one in an interview there known as a yardie cardie. You wouldn't believe how much a Slazenger heritage jumper costs now I bought one in 1981 for a tenner in a sports shop in Wembley.

https://www.slazengerheritage.com/

Yardie Cardi! I’m sure Gregory Isaacs had shares in Gabici. Every album cover and PA he made he was wearing one, which made them popular with black youth and crossed over into the Soul Boy scene.

I bought this from Greenwich Vintage Market about 12 years ago. It had an elastocated waist which didn’t sit right. Took it to the dry cleaners to get altered- told him to get rid of the elastic- thought he would open the thing up and remove, instead he cropped off the bottom 3 inches. I was ....... mortified!

I don’t remember Gabici being worn to football much; more evening wear and just a bit before the casual explosion 

013B46C7-A1C4-4FA1-B72C-911CE3D1BF1A.jpeg

Edited by Ewell CFC

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

I bought this from Greenwich Vintage Market about 12 years ago. It had an elastocated waist which didn’t sit right. Took it to the dry cleaners to get altered- told him to get rid of the elastic- thought he would open the thing up and remove, instead he cropped off the bottom 3 inches. I was ....... mortified!

I don’t remember Gabici being worn to football much; more evening wear and just a bit before the casual explosion 

013B46C7-A1C4-4FA1-B72C-911CE3D1BF1A.jpeg

Yeah I agree Gabicci was 81 or so. Very popular with mods now I did have a Gabicci roll neck back in the day. The recent only fools and horses doc the woman in charge of wardrobe said Del Boy wore a lot of Gabicci as she thought the clothes were awful and some of their jumpers were pretty hideous.

On 07/03/2020 at 12:06, bluehaze said:

Yeah I agree Gabicci was 81 or so. Very popular with mods now I did have a Gabicci roll neck back in the day. The recent only fools and horses doc the woman in charge of wardrobe said Del Boy wore a lot of Gabicci as she thought the clothes were awful and some of their jumpers were pretty hideous.

One of my favourite ever jumpers was a Gabicci, charcoal grey, merino wool, turtleneck. No trim or fancy bits at all, just a black G in the usual place.

4 hours ago, The Rising Sun said:

Do you know what year the last photo is or what game? I think I have remember that banner maybe against Liverpool at Easter ?

I'm guessing it's 66 or earlier, Terry Venables had gone by 67 I think,

1 hour ago, MKBlue said:

I'm guessing it's 66 or earlier, Terry Venables had gone by 67 I think,

Yeah, we got beat by Liverpool in the semi final in 1965, think we played them at Easter and won 4-0.. I might be getting it all mixed up though but we had a massive crowd that day, certainly looks like it judging by the West terrace there

5 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Wasn’t the West Terrace replaced by the West Stand in 65...not sure when in 65 mind?

If your right then I reckon it was the season we nearly won it but for the Blackpool.incident. Still got it in my mind it was against Liverpool though. Gonna dig around cheers

5 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Wasn’t the West Terrace replaced by the West Stand in 65...not sure when in 65 mind?

Just checked.....I think it's 1964/1965 season. Just checked we played Liverpool on good friday, won 4-0 in front of 62,000, played next day at home West Brom , 30,000. It was the season  Liverpool beat us in semi final.

They must have started the West stand 65/67 season.?

I'm convinced that picture is the Good Friday Liverpool game., I was squashed on North stand end with my little brother ! Can't remember yesterday though !

First one probably posted before I just wished JD was nearer the front to get a better view for his hair. Don't remember Striker before my time but definitely remember the football cards with the bubble gum. Did anyone else play a game throwing them called knocksy and toppsy where you laid them upright against the wall and knocked them over or you placed some on the floor and tried to throw another one on top ha ha.

ES8NmlKWkAAaIIP.jpg

ESb_foeX0AAOKp4.jpg

ESItIBJXYAce8JQ.jpg

ESItII3X0AYR5qx.jpg

Edited by bluehaze

On 14/03/2020 at 13:59, The Rising Sun said:

Just checked.....I think it's 1964/1965 season. Just checked we played Liverpool on good friday, won 4-0 in front of 62,000, played next day at home West Brom , 30,000. It was the season  Liverpool beat us in semi final.

They must have started the West stand 65/67 season.?

I'm convinced that picture is the Good Friday Liverpool game., I was squashed on North stand end with my little brother ! Can't remember yesterday though !

Did you go to the Spurs FA Cup replay in 64? 

67,000 gate with another 10,000 locked outside.

Remember about it in Bates’s propaganda rag, the Bridge News. Terry Venables did a feature about his time at Chelsea- think he might have been Barcelona manager at the time.

He used that gate as an example of what a big club we were- albeit just out of the “ sleeping giant “ tag we had for a few years when crowds were really sh*t.

2 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Remember about it in Bates’s propaganda rag, the Bridge News. Terry Venables did a feature about his time at Chelsea- think he might have been Barcelona manager at the time.

He used that gate as an example of what a big club we were- albeit just out of the “ sleeping giant “ tag we had for a few years when crowds were really sh*t.

No didn't go that night mate but I remember someone telling me their was loads of shoes left on the terraces that night such was the squash in the ground dunno.if that's a myth but the image has always stuck in mind !

Edit.... Wasn't it 70,000, or was that a couple of years before ? We deffo t

had a 70,000 crowd in the 1960s

Edited by The Rising Sun
Explanation added

2 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Just checked mate it was 70,000 that night in January 1964..I remember over 60,000 crowds in the 1960s with reports of up to 20,000 locked out at one game v Utd.