Question for our Rangers members

geezer

There have been many rumours over the past few seasons of the big 2 in Scotland (that's you and Inverness Cally Thistle in case you weren't sure icon_wink.gif ) joining the Premiership.

I would be interested to hear your views as to

a) are you for this idea?

B) how do you think you would fare in the Premiership?

Although I am not a Rangers supporter, I feel I might be able to give some insight being from the land of heathens!!

Anyway, I think that the other teams in Scotland, and their supporters, are a bit sick of the "big 2" constantly dominating the league and cup competitions. That is what makes victories like Calley Thistle over Ceptic even better. I think that fans, like Aberdeen, would miss the matches against Rangers, as they have a long and rivaled history against each other.

There is NO atmosphere like the old firm.

Anyway, I think that the fans of Celtic and Rangers having to travel down south would take its toll on the fans financially, in the long run, but I am sure they would be followed wherever they went. In truth, the rest of the SPL needs to play catch up. Hearts would be in there if their owner wasn't such an idiot (and he scares me as to what Roman could be)

I don't think it will happen, but if it did, I think that Rangers and Celtic could be European contenders quite regularly. They would also be able to attract bigger talent, so I think they could be held on the same level as the likes of say, everton

I think Rangers and Celtic would struggle to stay in the Premiership for the first two seasons while they adapted. I think they would stay up but they would be battling relegation. After that they would have had time to improve their squads by bringing players of a caliber that they can't currently sign due playing in the SPL. then I could see them pushing for a mid table position for a few years and maybe breaking into the top 6 after maybe 6 or 7 seasons.

However I would be firmly opposed to it happening and if it was to happen I think it would be an insult to allow them to waltz into the Premiership. If they wanted to come down and play in the English league then they should have to start at the very bottom and work their way up. There are many many teams what have battled hard season after season after season to try and earn their way into the top flight of English football and I see no reason why rangers and Celtic should be allowed to jump the queue.

I think that is one of the main points Loz, and why I think it would never happen. Also, I think they would need to spend heavily when they first came down in order to compete, and if they failed it could ruin them. they will stay in Scotland, and the rest of the league will have to catch up. It would also be a pretty huge slap in the face for whoever was left in the spl. Imagine if Hearts or someone were to win the year after Celtic and Rangers were taken out? Everyone would say it was a hollow victory as there was no Rangers or Celtic matches

never gonna happen

I know it is completely implausible, but I've always thought that the SPL should be disbanded altogether and all the teams join the English leagues to make it a Britain wide system. This way the local rivalries will continue only they will be more like the rivalries between London, or North-Western, or North-Eastern (etc) clubs. Coming from Australia I can't see why this is a problem in terms of distances when the country is so small! (Though I do appreciate the cultural/national barriers are not insignificant)

Anyway, this seems more sensible than plucking out the Old Firm, as the financial viability of the SPL would surely then come into question - with the loss in television revenue from the big two it would become, at best, a feeder league for championship and lower PL teams.

Coming from Australia I can't see why this is a problem in terms of distances when the country is so small!

Travelling across Austrailia is uncomparable to travelling across the UK.

You can be sure you will be spending at least 50% of your travelling time stationary, and you'll be paying an arm and a leg for the privilige.

Coming from Australia I can't see why this is a problem in terms of distances when the country is so small!

Travelling across Austrailia is uncomparable to travelling across the UK.

You can be sure you will be spending at least 50% of your travelling time stationary, and you'll be paying an arm and a leg for the privilige.

icon_lol.gif

These are lessons I'm learning.

However, if I wanted to watch West Coast Eagles play in Melbourne it would take around 5-6 hours (including travelling to airports) I would have to pay around £200-250 for flights + hotel, with airport parking thrown in (or I could drive for three days each way and camp out, around £200 in fuel nevertheless). And that's a standard away trip, not a one-off, so I really think people here have it easy. It's more the expectation that one can see *every* game the team plays that makes it problematic.

I would love for Rangers to be given a chance to compete in the Premiership and although we would struggle initially, I have no doubt that after a few years we would begin to adapt and then would likely be a strong challenger to the leagues big 3 on a regular basis.

We have a massive travelling support though and I suppose security concerns would play a major part in any of this happening. I am pretty sure trips to the likes of Old Trafford would be eventful as thousands of Rangers fans would travel down, especially within the first few seasons as it would be a novelty. After that it'd probably calm down a bit but I don't know if plod would be willing to risk it.

Would the Old Firm be able to qualify for European matches if they joined the Premiership and their league finish wouldbe good enough? I mean, I've understood Cardiff can't qualify for Europe as long as they're playing in England. They'd need to go back to the Welsh league if they wanted to play European matches, right? Or have they changed the rules? 300.gif

Would the Old Firm be able to qualify for European matches if they joined the Premiership and their league finish wouldbe good enough? I mean, I've understood Cardiff can't qualify for Europe as long as they're playing in England. They'd need to go back to the Welsh league if they wanted to play European matches, right? Or have they changed the rules? 300.gif

I thought the FA were thinking of changing the rule?

317.gif

FIFA have said they would look sympathetically on an appeal by Cardiff should they win the cup (i.e. they will get in).

However if Rangers and Celtic were to ever join the English league I am sure this would be sorted out first.

I thought the FA were thinking of changing the rule?

317.gif

Could be. I remember hearing about something like that as well. Although I would think that UEFA would also have something to say about that. 317.gif

Don't think this is ever likely to happen because as it has been said they would have to start at the bottom and work their way up and even though they would win promotion after promotion they would be crippled financialy. If they were in the premiership right now there is no way they would be stuggling for relegation, they compete against the best teams in europe and do well enough, they could easily handle the likes of Wigan but it would be a massive step up from the SPL but I believe they could easily be a strong mid table team and once they can attract bigger players I could see them breaking the big three.

Murdoch

They do compete against good European teams right now but there is a big difference between raising your game for a high profile match and having to find good form week in week out against good, if not great, opposition.

Agreed mate thats why I think midtable, but a relegation scrap? Come on if Wigan can come up and push for europe why can't two far better teams do the same? Im not saying they would push for europe though but I do think they would be a strong midtable team. You can tell Im excited for tonights game, I can't get Wigan out of my head icon_lol.gif

I like the idea, scottish football is holding us back in so many ways, and the only way forward is to leave. I would have no problem coming in at say the championship or something and working the way up, but i think we would struggle for a few seasons. We will have to adapt, and when the financial benefits begin to show, i think we could be top half side's within 5-6 years, we have enough of a fan base to get up towards the top 6 then in the future.

I like the idea, scottish football is holding us back in so many ways, and the only way forward is to leave. I would have no problem coming in at say the championship or something and working the way up, but i think we would struggle for a few seasons. We will have to adapt, and when the financial benefits begin to show, i think we could be top half side's within 5-6 years, we have enough of a fan base to get up towards the top 6 then in the future.

Top post, the fact you'd be willing to go into Championship level where the gap in class isn't as vast in the Premiership would show if you had what it takes to play at the top level. I agree that you could competiting after a few years finding your feet.

There have been many rumours over the past few seasons of the big 2 in Scotland (that's you and Inverness Cally Thistle in case you weren't sure ) joining the Premiership.

I would be interested to hear your views as to

a) are you for this idea?

B) how do you think you would fare in the Premiership?

Yea, it'd be good for us (and from you POV) you too if us and Inverness CT icon_wink.gif joined your League!

I think we'd be mid-table for a few seasons then once we got established... Who knows?

It'd be good for you to see Celtic fans in their true selves (not friendlies).

that could be good. Also people who look at Celtic and Rangers as having not much chance against premiership opposition (and no I am not advocating either of the teams going straight to the prem) Celtic had a great run agsint Premiership opposition in Europe for a while. remember them putting liverpool out of the UEFA cup a few seasons back, think it was the same year they went on to lose to Jose's Porto. However, I fully understand that Cup nights are a different breed, I just don't think they would instantly be relegation fodder

Scott

Archived