Withnail & I

loz

Tomorrow's Sunday Times comes with a free copy of Withnail & I on DVD.

Anyone (UK based) who hasn't see it now has no excuse. The finest British film ever made and yours for the price of four pisses in a 'pay as you go' public toilet

Tomorrow's Sunday Times comes with a free copy of Withnail & I on DVD.

Anyone (UK based) who hasn't see it now has no excuse. The finest British film ever made and yours for the price of four pisses in a 'pay as you go' public toilet

I demand to have some booze(shall be on my headstone) ab superb film Loz and Uncle Monty as well.

Anyone (UK based) who hasn't see it now has no excuse. The finest British film ever made and yours for the price of four pisses in a 'pay as you go' public toilet.

they're giving away the wicker man too?

bah- okay, withnail and I is absolutely brilliant.

Screwing my courage to the sticking place, and ducking in advance of a lozapultful of sh*t sailing through the ether from the West coast of Scotland, I would venture to suggest that while Withnail and I is a wonderful film, it is not the finest film ever made in Britain.

What, you will ask me, IS? And I have to say, I'm not sure... what do others think?

Phh if you say it isn't the best ever and then can't say what you think is then you on a par with people who criticise my driving whilst not having a driving license of their own.

Phh if you say it isn't the best ever and then can't say what you think is then you on a par with people who criticise my driving whilst not having a driving license of their own.

Have your children been getting at you?

I will work on my memory to name films that I think are better - but Get Carter won't be one of them! Sorry, BB!

Genuine contenders for me are:

Withnail & I

Lawrence of Arabia

A Clockwork Orange

Don't Look Now

The Third Man

The Wicker Man

Life of Brian

Alfie

My Name is Joe

A Man for All Seasons

My Beautiful Laundrette

Oliver

The Killing Fields

OK - memory cells have been activated.

I offer you: Ryan's Daughter - directed by David Lean, with superb screenplay by Robert Bolt and magnificent acting by John Mills, Robert Mitchum, Trevor Howard and Sarah Miles

Also - A Man for all Seasons - again screenplay by Robert Bolt and superb acting by Paul Schofield and Robert Shaw, to name but two.

Clever and wittily hilarious though W & I is, it is a bit on the deficient side where plot is concerned.

Genuine contenders for me are:

Withnail & I

Lawrence of Arabia

A Clockwork Orange

Don't Look Now

The Third Man

The Wicker Man

Life of Brian

Alfie

My Name is Joe

A Man for All Seasons

My Beautiful Laundrette

Oliver

The Killing Fields

I agree with most of these .. but have a subliminal; memory of another thread in which you were really scathing about the Wicker Man (which I find terrifying - the film, not your scathingness!)

My favourite British films (at least, I think they're British, they certainly seem British to me!): -

Lawrence Of Arabia

Zulu

Alfie

The Hill

If...

Up The Junction

The Italian Job

Kes

Ryan's Daughter

The Devils

A Clockwork Orange

Get Carter

Straw Dogs

The Wicker Man

The Day Of The Jackal

O Lucky Man!

Life Of Brian

The Man Who Would Be King

Scum

Quadrophenia

Brassed Off

Nil By Mouth

From Hell

Sorry about the length of the list, but it could have been so much worse, I could have included my favourite Ealing comedies ;)

Great list BB, and although I have not seen them all I was very disappointed with Straw Dogs. To me it was a poor man's Steinbeck, and so predictable it was laughable.

However, glad to see Quadrophenia in there, and Clockwork orange too. In fact, although Kubrick was American, he resided in England and all his films were recorded in England so could you argue that all of his films are essentially British?

LOZ, my name is Joe...is that the one based in Glasgow? IF so, wasn't there another beauty of a film based in Glasgow about the Tongs v the Glen; think it was called Small Faces? That is a mad film, but well worth the watch. The way folk talk about attacking each other with everyday household items, and the damage done, in such a matter of fact way is very worrying but excellently portrayed

Scott

Great list BB, and although I have not seen them all I was very disappointed with Straw Dogs. To me it was a poor man's Steinbeck, and so predictable it was laughable.

However, glad to see Quadrophenia in there, and Clockwork orange too. In fact, although Kubrick was American, he resided in England and all his films were recorded in England so could you argue that all of his films are essentially British?

LOZ, my name is Joe...is that the one based in Glasgow? IF so, wasn't there another beauty of a film based in Glasgow about the Tongs v the Glen; think it was called Small Faces? That is a mad film, but well worth the watch. The way folk talk about attacking each other with everyday household items, and the damage done, in such a matter of fact way is very worrying but excellently portrayed

Scott

Small Faces was excellent. An early part for Kevin McKidd who has now made a big name for himself in the States.

I also think Trainspotting was a worthy modern addition to quality British films. Also I think a Mike Leigh film should make it in there somewhere. Probably Life is Sweet or Naked. Has anybody checked out any of the films by Shane Meadows? This is England was pretty decent. I also liked Once upon a time in the Midlands and 247.

I was very disappointed with Straw Dogs. To me it was a poor man's Steinbeck, and so predictable it was laughable.

I loved Straw Dogs, it was great in it's time - maybe it's one of those films that hasn't aged well? But how can you have been disappointed with it with the wonderful Susan George starring? :)

By the way, who the hell is Steinbeck, didn't he play for Hamilton Accies?

Good shout on "Trainspotting", forbzy, I forgot about that one. Reminds me of another I'd forgotten - "The Acid House".

• 1 month later...

Archived