Last Movie You Watched

Seriously, Battleship is an awful idea for a movie IMO, and I agree that mainstream Hollywood is just churning out horrible idea after horrible idea. The premise of Battleship is especially bad. So you're going to make a movie about battleships, yet it involves aliens? Why not just set it in the 1940s during a Pacific naval battle? Ugh.

Glengarry Glenross - Brilliant film, lots of big names for a film about a salesman's life. Dialogue heavy throughout, yet not bored for a second. The dialogue is clever, vicious, and occasionally even a little funny - more 'f**k you's' than you can shake a stick at.

Intense - theatrical style - they don't make em like that anymore.

My mother bought the DVD of Glengarry Glenross because she thought it was about Scotland! And she was a great Jack Lemmon fan. She was HORRIFIED by it and turned it off after 5 minutes.

But she gave it to me and I thought it was brilliant! Shades of Death of a Salesman.

Battleship? Seriously? A movie based on a pen and paper game created by a couple of bored math geeks! Obviously(I've seen the trailer) the movie has as little as possible to do with the actual game(no Top Gun Pilots fighting Transformers type robot spaceships in the game), but that doesn't stop them cashing in on the name. Did I just write that? Cash in on the name of BATTLESHIP? This is the state Hollywood is in at the moment. No one is willing to invest in an original idea and this is what they try to sell us. It seems like a mish mash of some of the most tired clichés in action movies clumped together, but that doesn't matter because it's a name that people recognize. And they'll recognize Rihanna's name as well and that's what they're counting on. To quote Johnny Rotten: "ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

I agree. It sounded like a stupid idea when I first heard about it and it seems even more stupid now that the movie doesn't even seem to be like the game.

But if I look past that I have to say that the trailer makes the movie seem atleast slightly interesting. I wont bash it until I've seen it. The same goes for Rihanna. She might just be in the movie because of her being famous, but who knows, maybe she'll turn out to be an okay actress. Stranger things have happened I guess.

One final thing though. My worst fear would be that they indeed used the Battleship game premise and had the aliens and humans taking turns launching missiles at each other. If that happens (and if Rihanna truly sucks) then I think Hollywood should really be ashamed of themselves. I say bring on the razzies!

My mother bought the DVD of Glengarry Glenross because she thought it was about Scotland! And she was a great Jack Lemmon fan. She was HORRIFIED by it and turned it off after 5 minutes.

But she gave it to me and I thought it was brilliant! Shades of Death of a Salesman.

Did she also buy 'Jaws' thinking it was about the Bond villain?

• 2 weeks later...

Watched startwars 1,2 and 3 over the past few days - such a good triolgy and im about to start 4, 5 and 6 later this week whenever im bored.

Have to say Natalie Portman is so f**king gorgeous as well!

I watched the prequels for the first time in ages, and to be honest the Red Letter Media reviews were more entertaining than the actual movies!

Also watched Midnight Run, a quirky and very enjoyable film.

Watched startwars 1,2 and 3 over the past few days - such a good triolgy and im about to start 4, 5 and 6 later this week whenever im bored.

I like to pretend that they've made only three Star Wars movies... :happy001:

The best thing about watching Star Wars movies in the numerical order is that the movies keep getting better towards the end. The fifth one is the best, mind you, but Return of the Jedi still beats all of the prequel trilogy. If someone had not seen them, I think the movies should be watched in the order they were released. The prequel trilogy spoils many of the plot twists in the original trilogy if you watch the prequels first. But then the problem is that the episodes 1-3 will feel like crap in comparison. The effects might be better, but they're good enough in the original trilogy. And most importantly, not a mention of the Midi-chlorian nonsense(just one of the things that's wrong about the prequels). They're not as bad as the fourth Indiana Jones(it's still a trilogy if you ask me ;) ), mind you.

Brighton Rock - thought it was better than the original film - not true to the Graham Greene's classic book (different genre) but good all the same - lots of tension and 60's reference

I have been eyeing that one for a while, will give it a go on your recomendation

I've seen a few movies recently.

"Paul" with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Not as good as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, but a solid comedy and I like all the little nods to other movies.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides". Not as good as the first two, but it wasn't too bad. Good strong cast as well.

"Kung Fu Panda 2". Very nice! Perhaps not as good as the first one, but damn close.

"13 Assassins". Have heard a lot of good things about this one so I had to watch it. I thought it was really good, apart from three things, two of which I will not mention because it would spoil some parts of the movie. One thing however was a scene where two men are blown up by a bomb and what annoyed me a bit was that the result was a massive amount of blood - way too much for just two men. But apart from that it was a really good movie.

"Hotaru no haka" came next. Japanese animated movie, but certainly not a kids movie. It's about a young boy who takes care of his little sister during the WWII.

Not perhaps as good as I had expected, but still very much worth seeing. Made me smile and made me cry.

"Stalag 17". Hadn't actually heard of this one before, but found it by accident. A Billy Wilder movie with some really good actors (William Holden, Peter Graves). It's about the men of a POW camp. Quite funny and overall a great movie.

Had to watch "Seven" again tonight. Think I saw it when it came out and can't remember seeing it again since, so I didn't remember much of it.

Damn what a great movie it is!

Great plot, great actors. Suspense. One of the best thrillers ever made.