Last Movie You Watched

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I went and saw Moneyball last week. It's an interesting enough story but came off to me as a bit of a vanity project for Pitt. Nonetheless despite the film being about sport and statistics, neither subject I could see as particularly appealing to 20-30 year old women, there were still at least 50 of them all in groups watching. The guy is a hell of a draw.

Watched Tintin last night and thought it was a great start to the series, some are already expecting it to be a series similar to the Indiana Jones. I watched it on 3D and the visuals I felt was better than the others that I have seen lately (Panda2, Gulliver's travel etc). I'd say its a must watch if you have ever been an avid reader of the comics in your childhood.

I felt differently. I would recommend it if you are going with kids so that you can enjoy that they enjoy it but I felt it missed out on the classic skill of making it a film that both kids and adults would enjoy. The animation is, as you would expect, expertly done but the story is a bit disjointed (not really a surprise as it isn’t taken from one book but more a combination of three). Not saying it was rotten or anything, just a bit flat. Shame really as I loved Tintin when I was younger and was looking forward to seeing it.

I don't know how I have reached the great age I have without ever having seen this film, but last night for the first time I saw "Young Frankenstein" - a Mel Brooks film with Gene Wilder and Marty Feldmann. Verbal and visual humour both brilliant. If anyone else, like me, has missed this film, I urge you to get a copy! There was also a little cameo role for Gene Hackmann as a blind man serving soup.

Marty Feldman had those bulging eyes that made him look really weird, and he was so funny. That is indeed a very good movie. I did not know about Gene Hackman's cameo.

Oh, and I saw Breaking Dawn with the wife last weekend. The less said, the better.

Edited by Phillip

50/50

Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Seth Rogen

Anjelica Huston

Anna Kendrick

Written by Will Reiser

Directed by Jonathan Levine

There's nothing new under the sun, they say. That's certainly true of the stories we like to tell. Mostly they revolve around familiar themes. 50/50 is no different. It's the story of a young man who finds out he has a rare and potentially fatal form of cancer. It's about how he copes with having the disease and how he re-evaluates the people in his life. Standard stuff.

But the measure of the stories we tell isn't how unique they are. It's how well we tell them.

And 50/50, written by Will Reiser and directed by Jonathan Levine, tells its story very, very well. Inspired by a true story, the script is never mawkish, though for my taste it gets a wee bit close at one point. Mostly it's direct and unsentimental. Frequently it's extremely funny. No long speeches. No somber contemplation. Just real-life situations involving a character we care about. So when I say the script is good, it's not because it draws attention to itself. It's for exactly the opposite reason: it gets out of the way of its story.

The film is filled with moments that feel true and are often funny. It's not "actory." And because it's so honest and straight with you, when the emotional bits hit, they hit strong.

The acting is outstanding. The cast includes two actors I don't much care for in other works. In this film, they shine. One is Seth Rogen, whose stoner-slob schtick is usually a one-note joke. Rogen helped get this movie made and has a producer credit. He really doesn't change his act much here. But as the victim's best friend, he brings a welcome earthy and funny balance to material that could become too grim. He's extremely funny. By far his best role, in my opinion. You'd really want him as your best pal if you had cancer.

The other actor is Anna Kendrick, who I last saw as the idealistic ingenue brought to earth in Up In The Air. I don't really care for her cute, nervous, learning-on-the-job persona. But like Rogen, she fits her part perfectly. She's an inexperienced therapist who must somehow climb out of her textbooks to make a real connection with a young man dealing with his own mortality. The directness with which her patient, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, calls her on her inadequacies cuts through all the usual movie BS. It feels refreshingly real.

Yes, this is a movie about cancer. Yes, it has emotional heft. Yes, it's thought provoking. But it's also funny, beautiful, spare, honest and beautifully acted, directed and written.

Highly recommended.

Edited by wxwax

I have not watched a movie in ages, cant seem to find any decent ones out there at the moment!

There are a few decent ones out there. "Source Code" is a surprisingly good action movie, "Crazy Stupid Love" is a good romantic comedy and Warrior is supposed to be great. Haven't seen that last one yet, but will as soon as possible.

Also looking forward to "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" which seems to be great. Actually, I would watch it just for the cast :smile:

Saw "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" last night. I'm not a big fan of the past versions, although the one with Mark Walburg wasn't bad. This one is a real departure, and an improvement on them all. The story was completely unique to the Armageddon theme, this is more of a virus and gene therapy theme, and very interesting. Lead chimp Caesar was clearly modeled after Gareth Bale.To me the best part is either the CGI ape effects or the effort put into pulling emotion out of these digital creations. Very highly recommended.

Really? What is it called?

I'm guessing it's the highly amateurish video(out of respect to professional documentary makers, I refuse to call it a documentary) called "JFK 2 - The Bush Connection". They try imply it's a sequel to Oliver Stone's JFK, which is an interesting strategy when you consider that Oliver Stone's JFK is notorious for its historical and factual inaccuracies. Then again, if you take Oliver Stone's movie just as a "what if" type of fantasy, it is an absolute master class in movie making(editing, music, etc.), which makes it an insult that these people call their video a sequel to it, because their video is not even decent youtube conspiracy video quality. People like these take advantage of the fact that most people know very little about the subject, so if they tell it convincingly(unlike Oliver Stone, I don't think they do, mind you) enough and/or present it in an entertaining way, many would happily lap it up. If you watch their video, I suggest you also watch a video which is pro "Oswald did it alone", just to balance things out and give you different viewpoints. BBC's "The Kennedy Assassination, Beyond Conspiracy"(can be found on google videos, for example) is not a bad one. At least it's professional television quality.

Edited by Maksimov

Watched the re-make of the 80's cult classic 'The Firm' the other day, and it was absolute garbage!

Going to watch the original on Monday just to clense that crap out!

EDIT: I'm talking about 'The Firm' with Gary Oldman in, not Tom Cruise!

Edited by shedpensioner