Fledglings seize the seminal moment

Dorset
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

There was one moment last Saturday, with about fifteen minutes of the game left, when I got the distinct impression that everything planning-wise at the Bridge was perfection personified. Never mind the 4-0 lead, the eight point gap or the free-flowing football, this was more of a seminal moment when you kind of ‘get it’, if you see what I mean, and everything comes together to produce a tantalising glimpse into the future. Although Kakuta was the catalyst, and Matic was putting in a memorable stint, it was the arrival of Borini that sparked the whole thing for me, as he instantly skinned his marker with a burst of pace that left the poor guy clutching a handful of shirt to save his embarrassment.

That initial sprint from the Italian meant that each of these youngsters in turn had entered the stage and performed as if they had always been Premiership players and not debutants at this level at all. For that reason alone Kakuta needs to be singled out for special praise because, due to circumstances seemingly beyond his control, he was going to be under immense pressure whenever his ’moment’ came along and he didn’t disappoint. The Media would have crucified any signs of mediocrity and even though he got muted to faint praise in some quarters journalists such as David Hytner (Guardian) and Mark Fleming (Independent) recognise talent when they see it and are not afraid, or too burdened by bias, to acknowledge it.

Unfortunately Alyson Rudd (Times), embittered Liverpool fan that she is, could not find it in her troubled soul to report on Gael’s debut, despite being present and being paid to do so, preferring instead to give Mikel’s description of what his team mate could do at the training ground to any sort of firsthand account. Indeed, anyone reading her piece wouldn’t have the slightest clue how the boy played, what his attributes were, or how he fitted into the side. Such is her interest in Chelsea during the current depression at Anfield she also neglected to mention the appearances of Matic and Borini and so, without an easy Mikel quote to relay on these guys, their existence wasn’t even acknowledged.

The same has to be said of Sky’s Charlie Nicholas who, given a Jeff Stelling prompting as soon as Kakuta reached the touchline, seemed determined not to breathe a word to anybody about his display from then on. Granted, when Jeff asked how it was going a few minutes later, the ex-Gunner did venture to describe his play as ’cheeky’, but that was as good as it got and, all too predictably when Chelsea are playing well and the Arse are in pants mode, Charlie then lost his tongue completely, a merciful state that lasted for the rest of the game. Did Matic make his debut? Did Borini turn out for the last fifteen? Sky viewers have no idea and Charlie wasn’t about to update them on fresh young Chelsea talent anytime soon.

Suffice to say that, along with many pundits, though not all with similar accoutrements, talk of Chelsea having a string of youngsters coming through goes in one diamond-adorned ear and out the other, often without much recognition in between. Then again, short term, should we really mind too much if our young talent continues to go under the radar in some quarters, especially when a Judgement Day of emerging youth looks to be only just around the corner anyway? After all, the only sufferers in the interim would appear to be those directly involved in the planning, the likes of Bruce Buck and Frank Arnesen, and they’ve had broad enough shoulders for a number of years now, haven’t they?

Both will be heavily involved with CAS business in the coming months and bear a great deal of responsibility to ensure, for the ultimate good of the club in the Media spotlight, that Kakuta is kept under a kindly wing at the same time as Kenyon is held at arms length. The case hangs over us at present like a single dark cloud in a blue sky and even this has the silver lining [for some] of supposedly forcing the transfer issue out into the open with a January purchase of that rare marquee bird, so coveted by Buck, that has yet to be caged. Presumably everything comes together, planning-wise, for our Chairman when an Aguero or a Ribery flies in.

As far as Frank Arnesen is concerned good weeks, such as the last one, must continue to showcase youth, thereby slapping down journalists like Sam Wallace, who have been forever demanding to see some evidence of his work in bringing young players to the club who are good enough to make a first team breakthrough. When Kakuta, Matic and Borini step onto the pitch in a Premiership game Arnesen’s plans are seen by everyone, except Charlie Nicholas of course, to be coming together too and I suppose that’s why the seminal moment arrived for me when it did. That said, the costly addition of one rare bird shouldn’t disturb a very promising fledgling aviary too much - it really does look as if it is all we need.

I heard a story today that we have rejected a loan deal which would have involved Borini going to Reading. I can only imagine that is due to an intention to make use of him in January.

Admittedly from what I have seen of Borini, which I totally accept is a lot less than you have Dorset, I am actually still to convince myself that he has the potential to develop into a first team regular.

Matic I think will make the grade and Kakuta appears to have more tricks than Sackville at night. Both of those I expect to see in the first team in future however I just have a feeling that Borini is going to fall short. That isn't to say he won;t have a decent career in football but I just think it could be a career at a lower level than Chelsea.

Clearly I hope I am mistaken

I heard a story today that we have rejected a loan deal which would have involved Borini going to Reading. I can only imagine that is due to an intention to make use of him in January.

Admittedly from what I have seen of Borini, which I totally accept is a lot less than you have Dorset, I am actually still to convince myself that he has the potential to develop into a first team regular.

Matic I think will make the grade and Kakuta appears to have more tricks than Sackville at night. Both of those I expect to see in the first team in future however I just have a feeling that Borini is going to fall short. That isn't to say he won;t have a decent career in football but I just think it could be a career at a lower level than Chelsea.

Clearly I hope I am mistaken

From what I've seen of the kid, he reminds me of a young Michael Owen, his pace, and the way he adjusts/opens up his body to strike the ball. Borini is still very light-weight, but is a really nippy forward, however it always seems more difficult for a finisher to break into the first-team, especially at his age.

Matic, having seen him only the once is Ballack-esq, but the gem in the crown is Kakuta- the new Pele. I've seen kakuta play several times for the reserves on TV, but seeing him in the flesh at the weekend really was an eye opener, if he keeps his feet on the ground, he'll be a world beater.

I'm not one for predictions or heaping pressure on youngsters, but Kakuta really is a class act in the making.

IMO loz, I believe all three will make the grade, the only problem for Borini is fitting into our scheme of things with Drogba being the main man for the position up top. He is behind Drobga, Anelka, Kalou, and Sturidge in the picking order, but the diamond allows us to test the youth out with subs, which can't really be done with the usual 4-3-3 that was played in the past.

But from what I saw from the trio, both in the recent game and also in a few reserve games is pretty impressive. They seem to know how to click together very well. Matic seems like a really good capture for the future, and something to build upon when maybe Lampards playing days are over (he is turning 32), Kakuta has the flair and has much more potential then Sinclair, for example, has ever had.

What is even more key for me is the fact that they are not the only ones that will be able to move up. In that perspective, I believe Dorset is entirely right to state that it has been a good week for Arnesen. You have still Sebek, Hutchinson, Bruma, van Aarnholt, Woods, Sala, Stoch, Di Santo and Rajkovic who are impressive recruits for the future. Normally, they will not all feature in our plans nor our squad, but nevertheless they seem like a solid squad for the future that we can hope will be the new faces of the club.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Borini will make the grade. His movement off the ball is outstanding and coupled with a good turn of speed will make him deadly once our midfielders start to get use to spotting this movement. Yes he is somewhat easy to bundle off the ball at present but will no doubt fill out some more over the next couple of years to combat this. Even if he doesn't fill out much more his movement will stand him in good stead and give him a couple of yards start over any opposition player.

Loz, i have to day i think you are being slightly premature about Borini - after he he has also played the equivalent of about 2 full games for us.

Still, i guess i know what it is like when you get a hunch - as i have the same misgivings about Di Santo and Mancienne. Certainly in the case of Di Santo im not even sure what im basing it on, its just, well a hunch! Ive seen him play a few times now though, which is more than can be said for Borini - give him a few more games!

Lets hope we are both wrong!

From what I've seen of the kid, he reminds me of a young Michael Owen, his pace, and the way he adjusts/opens up his body to strike the ball. Borini is still very light-weight, but is a really nippy forward, however it always seems more difficult for a finisher to break into the first-team, especially at his age.

Matic, having seen him only the once is Ballack-esq, but the gem in the crown is Kakuta- the new Pele. I've seen kakuta play several times for the reserves on TV, but seeing him in the flesh at the weekend really was an eye opener, if he keeps his feet on the ground, he'll be a world beater.

I'm not one for predictions or heaping pressure on youngsters, but Kakuta really is a class act in the making.

Thems big words my friend! Lets hope you are bang on the f**king money!

Thems big words my friend! Lets hope you are bang on the f**king money!

I know mate - but he's the only player, the movement, the droping of the shoulder, he lay off with the chests that I've seen that is really in the Pele mould (who I never saw play live may I add) (Oh and it's not just based on Saturdays cameo! - I've followed him for a while.)

It's not often we get a youngster we can get excited about, and with the likes of Stoch (who I reckon will come good) and Sinclair, Di Santo as mentioned above I've been hopeful, but Kakuta really excites me, and after all these years of watching Chelsea hoping and praying we unearth a real talent, I'm really hoping and honestly think this is the lad.

Like I said earlier - I dont want to heap pressure, or get carried away but Pele is the nearest comparistion for a kid of his immense talent. - There I've said it!

BJD - you are right it really is just a hunch and not a lot more than that. I have seen him play for the reserves maybe 8 times and whilst I have seen a lot of good things I have also often found myself thinking there is something about him which isn't convincing me.

I just hope the club dont f*ck it up now we have quality youngsters in abundance.

I am hoping it wont be another Mancienne and Sinclair case, in my opinion these lads could of been top Chelsea players had they been nurtured properly. Instead they were shipped out on loan time and time again without getting a proper chance. I now feel it is too late for them two.

While loans can be good, too many can stunt a players development. Especially to mediocre Championship clubs every year.

I am hoping it wont be another Mancienne and Sinclair case, in my opinion these lads could of been top Chelsea players had they been nurtured properly. Instead they were shipped out on loan time and time again without getting a proper chance. I now feel it is too late for them two.

Whilst I agree with you on Sinclair, he's little used even at Wigan, Mancienne is looking ok. He needs to cut on some mistakes, but if he's playing consistently well by the end of this year, I think he will come back and challenge for a place. He does have potential.

Stoch is doing really really goot for Twente in Holland so far. Di Santo is rather average at Blackburn. I know its early, but I dont really know why we have signed Sturridge. Its already difficult enough for Borini to get some playing-time but as soon as Sturridge is fit and Di Santo back from Blackburn its going to be as good as impossible.

Edited by german-blue

I see Sinclair as one of those players who looked very promising at 16/17 and then never really developed. I don't think the loan moves are to blame - I think it was good to try and get him some laying time and see what he could do and whether he could do it consistently. In this I feel he failed and it has been a long time since I have thought he still looked like he could make it with us.

Borini I feel will be a perfect #9 . he has all the characteristics to be one . Only time will tell but I see him as talented as Kakuta if not more so .

A team with Di Santo will defintely score goals , not sure about him himself being a prolific striker in the future though.

I know mate - but he's the only player, the movement, the droping of the shoulder, he lay off with the chests that I've seen that is really in the Pele mould (who I never saw play live may I add) (Oh and it's not just based on Saturdays cameo! - I've followed him for a while.)It's not often we get a youngster we can get excited about, and with the likes of Stoch (who I reckon will come good) and Sinclair, Di Santo as mentioned above I've been hopeful, but Kakuta really excites me, and after all these years of watching Chelsea hoping and praying we unearth a real talent, I'm really hoping and honestly think this is the lad.

Like I said earlier - I dont want to heap pressure, or get carried away but Pele is the nearest comparistion for a kid of his immense talent. - There I've said it!

If you watched him play for the reserves against Birmingham on Monday night Pele is not the player you would be likening him too - he had a shocker!

But I do know what you mean. Fingers crossed that in a few seasons time, rival club fans will be gutted he plays for us whilst at the same time marvelling at the lads ability.

Think Borini is well ahead in the pecking oder over Di Santo now, and little point recalling him from Blackburn.

Not sure where you got that from. Sam Alladyce has been raving about him and how he wants to extend his loan deal. Di Santo and Dunn have done excellently up top for Blackburn IMO.

I asked the question: "How is Di Santo doing" on a Blackburn-forum. ;) And it didnt seem like they are too impressed of him.

Here is the link to the threat, if anyone is intereted.

http://www.roverstalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2485

Borini I feel will be a perfect #9 . he has all the characteristics to be one . Only time will tell but I see him as talented as Kakuta if not more so .

A team with Di Santo will defintely score goals , not sure about him himself being a prolific striker in the future though.

I think Di Santo is like Drogba in a sense that he's a big guy and he creates space for others. However, he's not the scorer of goals, he'll probably get around 10 - 15 a season, setting Borini up to score 20+. Hopefully.

I asked the question: "How is Di Santo doing" on a Blackburn-forum. ;) And it didnt seem like they are too impressed of him.

Here is the link to the threat, if anyone is intereted.

http://www.roverstalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2485

Hmmm thats a bit of a disappointment. But because I am a glass half full person, I will ignore the fans and trust Big Sam.

the 2 blackburn fans i know were very happy we got our ban overturned, simply because it meant they might keep hold of franco. they are both season ticket holders and think hes easily the best striker they have. on borini`s chances of making it, i agree with Geezer about his positioning, speed and timing. its what seperates the good from the really goo as a striker and he has all 3 in abundance. matic reminds me of a young ballack which can only be a good thing. and Kakuta is just a mouthwatering prospect.

well i know that ancellotti is full of praise for borini and my hunch is he wasnt just saying it. hes still only 18 and looks like he could have a big future with us. kakuka looks like the best prospect we've had for years and like i said in the other thread i don't think its fair to judge him on how he played for the reserves so soon after making his first team debut.